BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of getting my first S1000RR for track use only and I have a question.
I had a Kawasaki 2013 ZX10R and a 2016 R1 - both amazing bikes.
While searching for my new bike I've heard lots of complains about the 2020 S1000RR. People said it has a problem with the engine getting blown up, they said the bike has lots of vibrations all over the place, some said you don't get any feedback from the front. (which was why I sold my 2016 R1 to begin with)
Anyway, I wanted to get a Ducati V4s but the Bimmer got my attention again so here I am :)
Basically I only have one question:
I want a bike with all the goodies the M package offers (beside the carbon wheels) and I wanted to know if a standard bike with both Race and Dynamic Package will give me that?
What's important to me is to have all the electronics the M package has regarding racing like the suspensions (front and rear) with the Race Pro 1,2,3 option, light wheels and battery etc. (Don't really care about the grips or the cruise control...:))
Anyway, hopefully I will get my answer here and become a new owner of a 2021 S1000RR.

Thanks guys !

·
Registered
447 Posts
BMWs don't vibrate any more than any other liter bike I've ridden, at least not so's I notice anyway, especially if you're going to be using it as a track bike its not something to consider at all.
The front electronic suspension works well. Its hard to get tuners to work on it though, so this is likely the reason you hear talk about it. Hard to get it upgraded to get the very last bit of performance out of it like you would with a non DDC type suspension.
Have seen some reports of engine issues on the web, and on this site, but whether there are more issues than other manufacturers is anybody's guess.
My biggest complaint is that it needs more peak horsepower:)

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BMWs don't vibrate any more than any other liter bike I've ridden, at least not so's I notice anyway, especially if you're going to be using it as a track bike its not something to consider at all.
The front electronic suspension works well. Its hard to get tuners to work on it though, so this is likely the reason you hear talk about it. Hard to get it upgraded to get the very last bit of performance out of it like you would with a non DDC type suspension.
Have seen some reports of engine issues on the web, and on this site, but whether there are more issues than other manufacturers is anybody's guess.
My biggest complaint is that it needs more peak horsepower:)

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks for the info.
I know electronic suspension are no match for conventional ones (racing wise) but I want to try them, especially the Race Modes Pro option. I want to see what I feel when I change the setup with a push of a button :)
My real question was about the packages though...Does adding the dynamic and race packages will give me everything the M package has electronic wise ?
I'm asking because I saw a video on YouTube and the guy that compared the packages said that with the Race Modes Pro on the M package you get a little more functionality than on the other ones with the dynamic and race packages. He doesn't say anything more to explain what he means...
Here's a link for the video (fast forward it to 10:10):

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My real question was about the packages though...Does adding the dynamic and race packages will give me everything the M package has electronic wise ?
I'm asking because I saw a video on YouTube and the guy that compared the packages said that with the Race Modes Pro on the M package you get a little more functionality than on the other ones with the dynamic and race packages.
There is nothing different in the electronic packages when you have dynamic and race electronics comparing a standard RR to the M-RR. Take a look at the dates in the video, its 'old" when considering how new this bike is, the k67 had come out like mid to late Summer of 2019 and that was shot in January of 2020.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Anyone saying the bike doesnt vibrate is either lying or has no feeling in their hands! It starts vibrating at about 7500 rpm, 8k rpm is the worst to me then gets a little better as the revs get higher. Its worse then any bike I have ever ridden before.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I know electronic suspension are no match for conventional ones (racing wise) but I want to try them, especially the Race Modes Pro option. I want to see what I feel when I change the setup with a push of a button :)

Thanks !
2021 Race/dynamic will give you everything the M package has Except carbon wheels and a rock hard seat. Thats the only differences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone saying the bike doesnt vibrate is either lying or has no feeling in their hands! It starts vibrating at about 7500 rpm, 8k rpm is the worst to me then gets a little better as the revs get higher. Its worse then any bike I have ever ridden before.
Well, I just bought a 2021 S1000RR online like 2 hours ago so I guess I will see if I feel the vibration next week on the track.
Hopefully it wont be that bad otherwise I will get rid if it as fast as I bought it :)

2021 Race/dynamic will give you everything the M package has Except carbon wheels and a rock hard seat. Thats the only differences.
Thanks for the info bro but if what you say about the vibrations is true the packages won't make any difference...
Time will tell and I will sure let you guys know.
Thanks !!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Well, I just bought a 2021 S1000RR online like 2 hours ago so I guess I will see if I feel the vibration next week on the track.
Hopefully it wont be that bad otherwise I will get rid if it as fast as I bought it :)
Congrats! Its an awesome machine and if it did not have the vibration, BMW would of nailed a damn great machine. But there is no perfect machine!
Here is a really good review of the bike. At the 27:17 mark of the video he talks about the Vibs.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Usually it seems like the more powerful the bike is the more it will vibrate. My 01 r1 doesn’t vibrate as much as my k67. But the Beamer has a good 60-70hp more up top. Same thing with my banshees. My 611cc +10mm stroker 78 bore does vibrate a little bit. My 706cc +20mm stroker 78 bore vibrates a good amount more then the +10 for sure. Nature of the beast. Would be pretty awesome if they were somehow able to lessen the vibration a good amount. Different bar ends help a little bit and if you loosen up your grip a little bit helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to use it for racing only. For the streets I drive a 2018 Camaro :) Because its gonna be racing only I can't deal with too much vibration as my hands will go numb.
I had a flashed 2016 R1 and I tried a couple of Ducati V4 and didn't feel any vibrations. Next week I'm flying to Greece to check the new asphalt they did on the track so I will try my new RR out and see what's up.
Quick question, do you know by any chance what's the diameter of the the exhaust before the Cat? I want to try out some China made slip on's and the size vary from 51mm to 60mm I think...
The reason I'm going with China this time is because when you crash (and unfortunately it happens at the track quite often) the exhaust usually get damaged so China provide an easy "fix" for this problem :)
I will also buy china made mid-pipe but for now a slip on will do.
Thanks !

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
318 Posts
Vibration is not that bad. I installed the Gilles gp2 clipons and it got less. Check them out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will check the bike next week at the track and see what's up with the vibrations. (and everything else :))
I bought this bike without even riding this model but assuming its better than the previous models I should be fine...
Any info about the slip on measures I mentioned?
Thanks guys !

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
318 Posts
I will check the bike next week at the track and see what's up with the vibrations. (and everything else :))
I bought this bike without even riding this model but assuming its better than the previous models I should be fine...
Any info about the slip on measures I mentioned?
Thanks guys !
60mm if I'm not mistaken. Look into the Alpha 2D sensor for the front. Will help for track use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts