BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read every page of every thread regarding this issue, so much so that my advanced search button is smoking and my google search bar has grenaded from over use. I would just like some input, advice, help, etc...

The bike: 2013 S1000RR

The issue: ONLY in neutral with clutch out (not touching clutch lever) about every 3-6 seconds there is an audible metal on metal sounding click or clunk. If the clutch is pulled and still in neutral, you will NEVER hear this. If the bike is in gear, you will NEVER hear this. This ONLY occurs when in neutral while not touching clutch lever. The sound is fairly noticeable but more so, I can feel it through my bars and through the seat. **edit**-just to clarify, this is a 0mph issue, a garage issue if you will**

The question: From my reading, some people and dealers say that's just how it is, ride it and it will be just fine. OTHERS say, its the clutch springs or cam chain tensioner and it needs to be cracked open by the dealership and inspected/fixed. I don't want to send the dealer on an open ended exploration mission because of obvious reasons and if I can avoid my cases being opened, I always want to avoid that. What is the most sound course of action?

Please note, I am familiar with the motors being very loud, gearbox being clunky, all sorts of vibes and buzzes and tics and clicks etc...this thing is an animal and I love it!

another edit*** here is another description of what my bike, and others, are doing. http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/131657-clutch-rattle-neutral.html

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have read every page of every thread regarding this issue, so much so that my advanced search button is smoking and my google search bar has grenaded from over use. I would just like some input, advice, help, etc...

The bike: 2013 S1000RR

The issue: ONLY in neutral with clutch out (not touching clutch lever) about every 3-6 seconds there is an audible metal on metal sounding click or clunk. If the clutch is pulled and still in neutral, you will NEVER hear this. If the bike is in gear, you will NEVER hear this. This ONLY occurs when in neutral while not touching clutch lever. The sound is fairly noticeable but more so, I can feel it through my bars and through the seat.

The question: From my reading, some people and dealers say that's just how it is, ride it and it will be just fine. OTHERS say, its the clutch springs or cam chain tensioner and it needs to be cracked open by the dealership and inspected/fixed. I don't want to send the dealer on an open ended exploration mission because of obvious reasons and if I can avoid my cases being opened, I always want to avoid that. What is the most sound course of action?

Please note, I am familiar with the motors being very loud, gearbox being clunky, all sorts of vibes and buzzes and tics and clicks etc...this thing is an animal and i love it!
Yep I have been having this issue with my 2014 S1000RR as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great info regarding a false N issue (which I sometimes get because of presumably lazy shifting/lack of familiarity with new bike) but not what my specific issue described above is regarding.

This is a 0 mph issue. Garage issue. Idle issue. etc... wondering what part/action is causing or performing this audible noise to come out during aforementioned circumstances i.e.-what mechanical process is taking place that would make an audible and tactile singular clunk/heavy click/metal grazing metal/almost like the first time the blade in your garbage disposal hits a pop top or something very hard. Keep in mind the noise is singular in cadence and the frequency is approx every 3-6 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
I'm aware. I was thinking this warn part might be causing the issue assuming you've checked other things like slack in your clutch cable/lever. Might be a stretch but it sounds like you've check everything else.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm aware. I was thinking this warn part might be causing the issue assuming you've checked other things like slack in your clutch cable/lever. Might be a stretch but it sounds like you've check everything else.
Ahhhh, I understand now. See, I don't have the forward thinking mechanical thought process regarding this machine and motors in general like you and many others have (I'm a dealership guy for anything mild-serious).

Can you tell me more about the clutch cable? Mine does have a substantial amount of slack in it and I've been meaning to address that. Now that you mention it, it also abruptly grabs in my hand sometimes while manipulating shifts. edit**Still curios as to what process is creating this effect.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check YouTube for clutch cable.
I know how to adjust it from those videos but I was more curious on what part, from cable to clutch to noise could cause what I have previously mentioned?

Is the bike stock? Exhaust stock?
Yes and pretty much. Stock head to cat (flappers/servo working properly to my knowledge) but from cat to muffler, the flapper/servo is disabled for a little more noise until I get akra header to match my akra short TI can.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Recently had this exact issue on on 13 RR. Started as an intermittent rattle and by the time it got to the point of bugging me, it was rattling more often than not. Happened exactly like you are stating when in neutral and the clutch out. Took it to my local dealer, they pulled and inspected the clutch. Found the judder springs on the back of the basket to be loose. Tech wasn't 100% sure if they were supposed to be loose or not, but one was fairly tight compared to the others, so we took a gamble and ordered the new clutch basket. New one came it with the springs still loose, but considerably less that what came out. We installed the new basket and that cured the issue. Also seemed to make the transition for neutral into first less "clunky".

Hopefully this is helpful!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Recently had this exact issue on on 13 RR. Started as an intermittent rattle and by the time it got to the point of bugging me, it was rattling more often than not. Happened exactly like you are stating when in neutral and the clutch out. Took it to my local dealer, they pulled and inspected the clutch. Found the judder springs on the back of the basket to be loose. Tech wasn't 100% sure if they were supposed to be loose or not, but one was fairly tight compared to the others, so we took a gamble and ordered the new clutch basket. New one came it with the springs still loose, but considerably less that what came out. We installed the new basket and that cured the issue. Also seemed to make the transition for neutral into first less "clunky".

Hopefully this is helpful!

Outstanding info, thank you. My bike is not under warranty so I'm hoping to get a couple of matching solutions because if I remember correctly, in the previous discussions of this matter, the replacement basket didn't work for all parties.

I just got off the phone with my local dealer's service manager and his advice was keep a close ear on it and if the noise changes at all, get it in so they can listen. The service manager I spoke with was extremely accommodating and read into previous service bulletins that had anything to do with clutch and cam chain tensioners and a few things he talked about seemed like potentially viable culprits. Again, my bike is outside of warranty and only has 5,900 miles so if i can avoid an exploration mission into my cases and replacing things that we don't know for sure are causing the problem, I'd like to do that.

For now, I'll keep an eye on this thread for more input and just continue to monitor the situation. If anything happens, I will post. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Outstanding info, thank you. My bike is not under warranty so I'm hoping to get a couple of matching solutions because if I remember correctly, in the previous discussions of this matter, the replacement basket didn't work for all parties.

I just got off the phone with my local dealer's service manager and his advice was keep a close ear on it and if the noise changes at all, get it in so they can listen. The service manager I spoke with was extremely accommodating and read into previous service bulletins that had anything to do with clutch and cam chain tensioners and a few things he talked about seemed like potentially viable culprits. Again, my bike is outside of warranty and only has 5,900 miles so if i can avoid an exploration mission into my cases and replacing things that we don't know for sure are causing the problem, I'd like to do that.

For now, I'll keep an eye on this thread for more input and just continue to monitor the situation. If anything happens, I will post. Thank you all for your help.

BMW has an outstanding goodwill policy. I would ask your dealer to see if BMW would be willing to cover the cost of the parts considering the bike has low mileage. For reference, my bike was around 27-28k when I heard/felt the issue and had it fixed just shy of 30k.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BMW has an outstanding goodwill policy. I would ask your dealer to see if BMW would be willing to cover the cost of the parts considering the bike has low mileage. For reference, my bike was around 27-28k when I heard/felt the issue and had it fixed just shy of 30k.
Great suggestion, thank you. I will most certainly be exploring that option.

Still tuning in for any more insight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To the OP,

I have the exact same noise/issue on my 13 RR. I had that noise for about good 6 months now, and now i'm getting a bit annoyed with it.

Have you fixed this issue?

Thanks in advance

1 - 18 of 18 Posts