BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my '15 Motorrad 'RR with the DDC and forgies, and thought I'd try this out since I'm eventually interested in a second bike (an ADV bike) and I'd been wanting to ride one for a while. We went to BMW motorcycles of Denver (CO) where I bought my 'RR new and know all the guys. My buddy wants a new bike and rode a '17 S1000R with DDC and forgies, and I rode the XR with DDC but cast wheels. It felt a little stronger up to about maybe 4k RPM, but I'd imagine the gearing is shorter (no need for a 190mph ADV bike!), but was definately a lot less powerful up top. I thought the basic seating position was good, but didn't like the stock seat as I felt it put me closer to the tank than I wanted and kept pushing me towards the tank. I think a Sargent like I have on my 'RR would fix that. It had the same buzz thru the bars, but wasn't as "sharp" and numbing as it is on the 'RR because of the tubular bars. It took a little getting used to (tall, spongy suspension) to toss it into corners (certainly not the scalpel the 'RR is), but handled just fine, and was certainly WAY more comfortable to ride over bumps and rougher roads especially.

Since I want a more dirt-focused ADV bike, I think I'll get a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R when it comes time, but I'm glad I rode the XR, and if you could only have one bike, this would be a great one to have. If I ever end up touring EU like I HOPE to do some day, I'll probably pick one of these.

·
Registered
935 Posts
In my usual riding group we have 4 RR's and 2 guys on '17 XR's - they can scratch it up in the twisties quite fine, one guy even scrapes the centre-stand :O
They are a very capable bikes and well suited to chew up the miles on long trips.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As mentioned in another thread, I think the coming KTM 790 Adventure R might be a better match for me. The lb/hp figures are within about .63 lb/hp of each other (1290 being slightly better), but to me that'd be far more than worth it since I plan on doing pretty serious dirt work on it. Considering the compactness of the parallel twin compared to the much larger 1290 V-twin, I think it'll be a lot more nimble besides being a lot more nimble anyways because of the 100lbs less weight.

Seems like not too many here are serious about dirt work.....

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have an XR as well as my RR. The XR is hilariously agile and pretty comfy once you figure out the seat. I road mine 3500 miles across the US in 8 days. Sure the power isn't the same as you'd expect but it will outrun a superbike on hilariously twisty roads due to how nimble it is.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an XR as well as my RR. The XR is hilariously agile and pretty comfy once you figure out the seat. I road mine 3500 miles across the US in 8 days. Sure the power isn't the same as you'd expect but it will outrun a superbike on hilariously twisty roads due to how nimble it is.
Honestly, the power was pretty much what I expected, knowing the state of tune compared to the 'RR. I thought it proper for it's intended use.

I'm really looking forward to seeing and maybe riding the 790 when it comes out.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The XR is an animal.
I saw a video of a guy doing crazy stuff on one, for sure a lot more crazy stuff in the dirt than I would attempt with it. In the right hands, you can do just about anything with nothing.

I think it does a great job at it's intended purpose (mostly street), but I look at things like, I already have a great pure streetbike (though I have taken it on smooth dirt roads for short distances). I already have a great dirtbike ('91 KX500) with more insane dirt ability than I can use, so, I want a bike that won't punish me on long street rides across states to get to the dirt....and then be very capable in the dirt. I'd like to do a couple thousand mile trips almost exclusively in the dirt. Best of all worlds!

·
Registered
731 Posts
XR seems like a wicked bike. Haven't ridden one yet though.

I've been thinking about getting one, or an R1200RS for a while now...

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
XR seems like a wicked bike. Haven't ridden one yet though.

I've been thinking about getting one, or an R1200RS for a while now...
Ridden both. Completely different things. But I can tell you that if you ride both back to back. The XR is just better in every aspect. RS is a different thing. Still fast. But a reduced power and ground clearance sort of fast.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ridden both. Completely different things. But I can tell you that if you ride both back to back. The XR is just better in every aspect. RS is a different thing. Still fast. But a reduced power and ground clearance sort of fast.
Well i probably need something slower
Just came off a 3 month suspension and only have 1 point left on my licence.
Can't trust myself with fast bikes...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Rode an r1200rs today. Yep you're right, very different to what I'm used to. Wanted to like it but it didn't really excite me at all. Boxer engine is cool but sounds like a wet shart. Would need a pipe for sure.

Think I'll go back and ride an XR even though i know I'll get in trouble on one. Wonder if i can get my sc project slipon to fit an XR

·
Registered
54 Posts
The XR felt like a really fast GS (or any other on-off bike) to me. Haven't ridden the Multistrada yet but I can't see why someone would choose the XR versus a KTM SuperAdv with the added bonus of some of road capabilities.
I would buy it though for its comfort !!!!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The XR felt like a really fast GS (or any other on-off bike) to me. Haven't ridden the Multistrada yet but I can't see why someone would choose the XR versus a KTM SuperAdv with the added bonus of some of road capabilities.
I would buy it though for its comfort !!!!
The 1290 KTM Super Adventure is actually supposed to be pretty good on road as well, perhaps not to the XR's level, but it'd be better in the dirt.

I'm looking at a 790 Super Adventure R as a second bike. I'll take a 60hp defecit to have an offroad bike that's a lot smaller, and 100lbs lighter. ;)

They're all great bikes though, can;t go wrong with any of them. I'd originally planned on the 1290, but now that they're coming out with the 790, since I'm buying it mostly for it's dirt ability, that seems like the one for me.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Keep your S1000RR. Just be more careful where you cut loose and have an escape route planned in advance. Fortunately I haven't had to use the rule I used to live by since my return to riding. The old rule was: "If I stop, will I go to jail?" The answer was always yes so I always ran. Got caught once and won in court. Probably much harder to do now than the mid '80s. Picking my spots has worked well the last 3 years. Knocking on wood. :laugh: Track days help with the aggression on the street. @bennymx would probably say: "Riding single lane roads in the mountains with no intersections. Ask him about his weekend 160? kilometer laps. Or search his old posts. I'm sure he can hook you up with some rides you can go wfo without attracting the wrong kind of attention. :wink2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Purchased one in SoCal last year. Rode it up the Pacific Coast to see the Redwoods and then back home to the greater Cincinnati area. What a fabulous machine.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I recently picked up this F800GS to go with my 15 and 1290 Duke. Is it way underpowered compared to the S1000RR? Of course. But the power it does have has so far been very manageable and controllable on the dirt/gravel I've been on - and that's a good thing for someone with limited off road experience.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts