BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No recent discussions re this. So here it goes ..

Anyone using and happy? maybe deployment story? ouch

Share your experience ....

I am 5.11 and 210 lbs XXL was comfy for me, smaller was tight in armpits area

thinking of picking one up over the winter

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
92 Posts
Using the Dainese product. Considered the Tech-Air but it was not available at the time of purchase. It does get warm where I live (lots of 90+ weather), so try to keep it in mind. FWIW, I am happy with my Dainese product. My wife ended up with the Helite and is very happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, just a matter of what you think will work best for you. Klim also has a product, but it is subscription based.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have many friends using airbags suits. They have saved people from injuries in most cases except when you land on your head/shoulder directly. (milage may vary tho)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have Alpine Stars Suit and I am not sure if the air bags really do any good. I had a low speed crash that deployed both airbags, but I still ended up with bruised ribs. At a track day just a few weeks ago, someone went down at relatively slow speed with a TechAir and had busted Ribs. My buddy is a Dainese air bag suit also broke ribs. So for me, I have not seen any data that shows they are doing any good, but who knows for sure. The airbag systems we get are no where near the type seen in MotoGP. Next to theirs the commercial ones barely inflate

·
4,891 Posts
I crashed in tech air race, going at a good buck, it deployed, I got up, picked up the bike, kept riding. See the crash here

Tech air 5 is for the street only. Not track. For the street it's great, has the largest coverage area.
For the track you will need something else. Klim just released their air vest that works for both street & track. Not as much coverage as tech air 5.

Alp* plans to release the next tech air race early next year. I would wait and see unless you ride year around.

Reactions: Tom Bernhardt

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I crashed in tech air race, going at a good buck, it deployed, I got up, picked up the bike, kept riding. See the crash here

Tech air 5 is for the street only. Not track. For the street it's great, has the largest coverage area.
For the track you will need something else. Klim just released their air vest that works for both street & track. Not as much coverage as tech air 5.

Alp* plans to release the next tech air race early next year. I would wait and see unless you ride year around.

All my riding is on the street.. according to Alpinestars that TA5 is the 'latest and the greatest' that is available currently for us civilians. I am sure Marquez and others in GP have custom made stuff with army of engineers doing all the maintenance.
Still idea is great as its a universal system that does not require specific jacket to work, also compare to their old system all software updated are done via your smartphone and Bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I like my helite air gp and the mechanical reliability and ease of reset not to mention low cost, just a co2 cartridge

·
4,891 Posts
In that case TA5 makes sense. I would stay away from any system that requires tethering, have seen at least 5 incidents where rider crashes and the tether does not trigger. They all thought they tethered it correctly. A telemetry based air vest is the way to go IMO. TA5 is not much more than a tethered air vest.

·
Registered
610 Posts

That crash appeared to be a simple low-side where you wouldn't have been hurt anyway.

I'm in the market for an airbag system and new suit. I've just started looking at the Tech Air 5. My concerns are how mow much it constricts your range of motion and airflow/heat. I'm in Texas. What do you find?

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I'm in the market for an airbag system and new suit. I've just started looking at the Tech Air 5. My concerns are how mow much it constricts your range of motion and airflow/heat. I'm in Texas. What do you find?
I have the Astars prior version, that can switch between street and track. I use it in my one piece leathers on track. For street, I switch the software and put it in my two-piece suit.

The first thing I noticed is the weight. I can really tell it's there when pulling on a suit or donning a jacket. Once on though the weight seems to disappear. I don't notice the vest at all when riding track or street.

It almost certainly is hotter than the chest/back protector I used before, but once moving I can't tell a big difference (ymmv). I'm in TN and do track days in KY, AL and GA - so maybe roughly as hot and humid as your area?

At track days it is hotter in the sense that (because the vest is heavy) between sessions I leave my suit on and just unzipped (rather than take off the top half of the suit like I would with a regular back protector).

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Race TechAir system significantly reduces airflow, making it very hot. The airbags are plastic, so no way to get around it. The back protector is extremely stout, but also bulky and very heavy. I do find it more restricting than a standard back protector. I have been racing for over 20 years, so I have had a fair amount of crash experience, and knock on wood, have always been able to walk away, including a crash at 150 mph, when I was wearing an Aerostich suit. I love the idea of any technology that will reduce risk of injury, but as I mentioned earlier, I am not sure how effective the current airbag systems are. I may go back to a standard back and chest protector, from what I have seen the airbags do not inflate with enough pressure to do anything. Again, I could be completely wrong, just what I have experienced.

·
4,891 Posts
Assuming for street riding, TA5 if worn under a breathable jacket it will be fine. It's less bulky than tech air race, I sold mine because I found it too bulky on the track.
The Klim vest is half the weight of the Alpine*. I'm waiting till Feb to decide once all updated models are released.

Reactions: Tom Bernhardt

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Klim Ai-1 That I have put about 8,000 miles on.

The features that sold me are:
  • Fits under almost any jacket.
  • Switchable between street and track mode (available in EU now, coming to USA soon)
  • self serviceable with argon canister $100.
  • $412 to get you started
  • software is subscription based and you can turn on/off when not in use.
Negatives
  • no track mode yet in the USA.
  • vest does not protect the arms.
  • software is subscription based. some people don't like this but I think it gets blown out of proportion.
I did consider the AlpinestarsTech Air 5 and Dainese Smart Jacket. Didn't like how they're both street only, and servicing is $150 for A* and $300 for Dainese. Also service time takes 2 weeks to 4 months.

·
4,891 Posts
I have the Klim Ai-1 That I have put about 8,000 miles on.

Negatives
  • no track mode yet in the USA.
  • vest does not protect the arms.
  • software is subscription based. some people don't like this but I think it gets blown out of proportion.
As far as I know Klim can be either leased or purchased outright, up to each buyer.
Did Klim tell you no track mode yet in US or the app is not letting you switch?

·
Registered
57 Posts
As far as I know Klim can be either leased or purchased outright, up to each buyer.
Did Klim tell you no track mode yet in US or the app is not letting you switch?
Yes, it can be leased $12/month, $120/yr, or $400/life

App not allowing the switch. Says "not available in region"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
4,891 Posts
& You will have to pay an extra $25 for track mode as I recall.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
About five years ago (~2015), I tried on a Helite vest and rejected it because I knew I would never wear it in warm or hot weather; there just isn't enough air flow, even given the 100% mesh Motoport jacket I wear. Shortly after that, I stumbled across Hit-Air vests at a track day when I noticed most of the coaches and about 30% of the riders wearing them and the track side vendor was clearing his inventory. I tried one on (an MLV-YC) and found it didn't significantly block air flow. When my wife found out I'd spent $400 (normally ~$500) on an air vest, she asked why I hadn't bought it sooner and we bought one for my nephew.

About half way through the next track season, my front tire lost traction at NCBike on a high speed sweeper at ~100 mph. I remember tumbling in the infield like a rolling log seemingly forever (I was seeing earth-sky-earth-sky… and asking myself "when will I stop?"). When I did stop, I noticed the inflated vest holding me off the ground and thought, "Damn, that worked!". That's not to say I was uninjured, geez, it was 100 mph, but every part of me that was protected by the vest was OK and I was riding again six weeks later after my broken shoulder and wrist had healed.

As you can imagine, after that, I was a believer. While I was healing, I researched everyone's motorcycle air bag offerings. I wanted to switch from a tethered system to an untethered system because it seemed to me that a tethered system might not inflate fast enough in some situations. I bought each untethered system offered and tried it on, the most recent one being the Tech-Air 5. I was disappointed every time. Only the Hit-Air allows enough air flow that I'm willing to wear it full time year round. Recently, I noticed an occasional riding buddy had bought a Helite and was complaining about the air flow. I let him try on my Hit-Air; he immediately returned the Helite and bought a Hit-Air. I also rejected the Tech Air 5 because (1) despite weighing 25 lbs less than when I had my Motoport jacket custom made for me, I could not close my jacket with the Tech-Air 5 under it and (2) the Tech-Air 5 does not protect your neck or lower spine. This last point is particularly disappointing, the Hit-Air has a collar that inflates from being a flat lapel to being a ring around your neck and a flap in the back that unfolds downward as it inflates to protect the bottom of your spine. I cannot imagine why the Tech Air 5 doesn't do this.

Regarding reuse: I did have to replace the vest I crashed in. You can reuse a Hit-Air vest by repacking it and installing a new cartridge, but not if abrasion gets through to the bladder as was the case for me. Regarding unintentional inflation: It does NOT easily go off; it takes 50-60 lbs of force. If you forget to disconnect and start to walk away from your bike, you'll feel it long before it goes off and then disconnect. That said, I did set mine off unintentionally once, I had just connected the tether when I noticed the rider just out of my reach, who was about to take of, had a flat rear tire; without thinking about the vest, I did a full body lunge to touch her shoulder to tell her. I was successful in stopping her, but the lunge was enough to set off the vest. I repacked it; installed the spare cartridge I always carry ($20-30 each); and continued the ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts