BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I taught my son to ride a dirt bike at 4 years old and taught him how to ride a PW50 on a go-kart track with road racing tires at age 6. We just moved him up to a DRZ 70 and I was able to finally get out on track with him and lead him around just as I do my California Superbike School Students. What a special moment to be on track with my boy, riding and showing him the lines and proper technique. It's what I do as my job and now I can share that skill with my own kids and I'm so in love :grin2: Just thought I'd share :grin2:

Attachments

·
4,646 Posts
Lucky kid!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Where'd you get racing tires for the PW50? I started my son on his PW50 at 3 years old. I'd love to get him started early on the track.

Here he is on his 3rd Birthday. He's almost 4 now and riding without training wheels. I have 10 acres of land that I've made him a small dirt bike course on.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where'd you get racing tires for the PW50? I started my son on his PW50 at 3 years old. I'd love to get him started early on the track.

Here he is on his 3rd Birthday. He's almost 4 now and riding without training wheels. I have 10 acres of land that I've made him a small dirt bike course on.
Awesome!!

They are actually scooter tires, apparently you can get all sorts of race rubber for scooters these days? Anyway our friend at mspeedperformance.com got them for us.

I think it's great getting kids into riding at a young age. I wish I started when I was that young!

What do you think are the biggest issues that young kids have to deal with/learn when riding?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Awesome

They are actually scooter tires, apparently you can get all sorts of race rubber for scooters these days? Anyway our friend at mspeedperformance.com got them for us.

I think it's great getting kids into riding at a young age. I wish I started when I was that young!

What do you think are the biggest issues that young kids have to deal with/learn when riding?
Great! Thank you so much!

I think the biggest thing for my son is confidence. He wiped out once and it was hard for him to get back on it without being scared. It took 5 or 6 times of him being on it before he got back in the rythym. It's amazing to see how well he does at a young age. I hope I can keep his interest in it when as he gets older. We just bought him a Specialized pedal bike after being on a Strider balance bike and we can't get him off of it. I digress LOL.

What should I watch our for when he rides since you have a head start and do it professionally?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Thank you so much!

I think the biggest thing for my son is confidence. He wiped out once and it was hard for him to get back on it without being scared. It took 5 or 6 times of him being on it before he got back in the rythym. It's amazing to see how well he does at a young age. I hope I can keep his interest in it when as he gets older. We just bought him a Specialized pedal bike after being on a Strider balance bike and we can't get him off of it. I digress LOL.

What should I watch our for when he rides since you have a head start and do it professionally?
Confidence comes with skill and as long as you keep it fun and short and encourage him in a gentle manner he'll go back :) Any riding your son does, whether it is on the specialized pedal bike or the dirt bike is all going to help his skills and as long as he is having fun that is the most important part!!!

I wrote the following article on my blog to help parents coach their kids you can read it here:

There is also another good one here:

Hope those help....I'd focus on one skill at a time and the one that I think is the most important is good throttle control. I work on it all the time with my son and you can really see the difference in his riding compared to the other kids....he may not be as fast or aggressive (right now) but his skills are better :nerd:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone :) I love that I can teach my kids to ride and have them enjoy the same sport that I'm passionate about. I sure wish I started at that age!!

So, what do you think are some common mistakes parents make when attempting to teach their children to ride?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I taught my son to ride a dirt bike at 4 years old and taught him how to ride a PW50 on a go-kart track with road racing tires at age 6. We just moved him up to a DRZ 70 and I was able to finally get out on track with him and lead him around just as I do my California Superbike School Students. What a special moment to be on track with my boy, riding and showing him the lines and proper technique. It's what I do as my job and now I can share that skill with my own kids and I'm so in love :grin2: Just thought I'd share :grin2:
I will be doing exactly the same, with my daughter. She's only 2 years and 2 months old, but she can ride a skoot-bike and a tricycle already. I hope she takes after her Mum and rides a Triumph Daytona (or whatever electric motorcycle Triumph makes when she's old enough to ride on the racetrack.).

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts
I will be doing exactly the same, with my daughter. She's only 2 years and 2 months old, but she can ride a skoot-bike and a tricycle already. I hope she takes after her Mum and rides a Triumph Daytona (or whatever electric motorcycle Triumph makes when she's old enough to ride on the racetrack.).

Great. Another female lapping me on the track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts