BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is, after you flash your bike (in my case Brentuning Stage 2) do I need to take any precautions before taking the bike to the dealer for service? As far as I know, the Brentuning flashes are "undetectable" to the dealer. I'm trying to avoid taking my bike in for a routine service and them plugging it in to reset the service dates and their system immediately detecting the flash and instantly voiding my warranty. Do you guys refresh the stock tune before taking it to the dealer or do I not need to worry?

On another related side note, if the dealer updates my bike (even when I tell them "NO UPDATES"), could I just refresh the bike with the tune I have or will I note be able to go back?

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
For the real information, seek guidance from Bren, but as far as I understand it, if the dealer updates your ECU software you cannot reinstall the old tune, you will need an update.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just tell my service advisor not to do software updates without permission. It's noted in my maintenance record. They're cool and understand.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you do flash back to factory and they do an update will your previous tune reinstall work correctly or do you need a new one?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A question I have had relating to flashing back to stock prior to heading to the dealer. How does the bike run with the stock flash if you have done the IAT relocation and flapper delete that normally accompanies the Bren Tuning Stage 2 flash?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you do flash back to factory and they do an update will your previous tune reinstall work correctly or do you need a new one?
I suspect that that the handheld won't recognize the updated firmware of the ECU, which is why you need to pay $100 fee...Then thinking about it, the handheld is periodically updated by Dimsport everytime you connect it, right? So why wouldn't reloading the previous tune work?

A question I have had relating to flashing back to stock prior to heading to the dealer. How does the bike run with the stock flash if you have done the IAT relocation and flapper delete that normally accompanies the Bren Tuning Stage 2 flash?
IAT relocation won't really do much, but the flapper would throw an error is my guess.

·
Vendor
1,079 Posts
Any bike that is flashed and receives an ECU dealer update will need new mapping. The old mapping will be incompatible with the newer software version and will need to be updated to match. This service is $100 on our website. We always recommend customer flash back to stock before heading to the dealer, regardless if the dealer updates or not. If a tech happens to update the bike against your request, you will not only need new mapping but the handheld will also need to be reset, which is additional work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry fellas, but this is BULLSHIT.
BMW needs to offer a solution that offers a proper tune for the US, while retaining warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry fellas, but this is BULLSHIT.
BMW needs to offer a solution that offers a proper tune for the US, while retaining warranty.
I read somewhere that with BMW cars, BMW was keeping warranties valid with Dinan tunes. I think it was an M5 that someone added a supercharger kit and was able to retain the warranty. If this is possible then I don’t see why they can’t do the same with their bikes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
I know it's Saturday night and all that, but please keep it civil. 19S1K, please tone it down, we are all quite familiar with your opinions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you READ my posts, you'd have read that I attempted to buy a 2020 S1k back in January, that I love the bike, but BMW needs to offer a proper tune for the US and a black color option.
If BMW does both, I'll immediately buy one.

There is nothing worse than a forum that's a giant circle jerk that censors anything critical of the current model. Forums like that have zero credibility, and their moderators are nothing but pathetic bullies.
Don't be that forum.

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
Sadly, I don't have the time to look at every little post from every little snowflake. I mostly get comments from other members that are upset that we have a village idiot running loose here stuck on the same crazy notion that someone somewhere will listen to his desires. There is nothing worse than a forum that lets one bully dominate the conversation whenever his favourite topic comes up. Tone it down or one of us will ban you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.