BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
4,587 Posts
I am going next week thurs-Sunday! Can't wait. I need to learn how to lean like you guys and stick my knee out
Please don't do the unnecessarily lean on the street. You can ride fast on the street and there is no need to drag knee. Leave that for the track. One little obstacle or imperfection in your way and you're screwed. While pics might look cool, but you should also watch videos of people crashing at these same exact roads.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I'm here now in the area. We spent the day yesterday winding our way from Murphy up to Tellico Plains, across the Skyway to lunch at the Tapico Inn, then up and down Deals Gap before working our way back to Murphy. It was a perfect day to ride with weather in the high 60's to low 70's and NO traffic anywhere. We went up Deals Gap without any traffic and only had to pass a couple of cars coming back down. We were lucky though because it must have been VW Golf club day there. There were dozens of little cars making stupid loud noise. We watched them come and go from the comfort of the porch at the store.

I have to say that this trip here again reaffirms for me that, even with no traffic on it, Deals Gap isn't on my list of favorite roads to ride - at least on a liter bike. There are so many roads in the area - hundreds of miles - that are more fun, more varied, better sight lines, and less circus where you can worry less about someone crossing the center line on you. I hope that comment doesn't come off the wrong way because I don't mean it to be elitist or self aggrandizing - just my personal preference for roads where I can let the mighty S1000RR more off the leash. Now, a 350 KTM super motard - 17" wheels and some soft rubber - and now we're in business on a road like the Gap but you'd still have to contend with the unique dangers and the circus.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well said pitts
I live about 50 mins from the dragon and frequent throughout the year to meet new people, get some comedic relief, and actually get to have fun from time to time. But that road has been a stressor in more ways than any other road.
I have responded on the ambulance before to some pretty harsh traumas, and seen more wrecks while riding than I have actual good decisions made on that road.

There are way better roads with way less traffic and road hazards than the dragon.
A few months ago we were riding and 3 bears decided to cross the road. From our vantage point it was a really cool site, but speed around a blind corner to find two cubs and momma bear.... You get a different view.

I prefer the skyway any day of the week, and 26 in NC
Or Richard Russell down in Ga
Or any road going from Nc to Va in the park way vicinity. ( just not on the park way)

Look up the snake in mountain city/ Bristol area. Fun road for sure.

Anyways. If you are ever dropping by the dragon, drop me a line and I always enjoy meeting new friends.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Will be riding the dragon this coming weekend. Apr 22-25. First time will be riding there and RIDING back. My first trip so I'll be the super cautious one that and being a cdl holder I need to improve my licsence numbers..... So yeah planning on no tickets also. Got the bike back from the dealership new front rim and bearings, everything feels good.

Maybe I'll catch somebody from here around there:wink2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
We've been going since 2008 and will be back from the 4/25 - 5/1. I will probably run the dragon once, but as many have said there are plenty of roads that are just as much, if not more fun.

This year I'm taking the S1KRR. My wife is taking her R1200GS and Grom.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Will be riding the dragon this coming weekend. Apr 22-25. First time will be riding there and RIDING back. My first trip so I'll be the super cautious one that and being a cdl holder I need to improve my licsence numbers..... So yeah planning on no tickets also. Got the bike back from the dealership new front rim and bearings, everything feels good.

Maybe I'll catch somebody from here around there:wink2:

I'll be there around the same time. Pm when you are there. We can meet up. staying at the tuskegee hotel!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like doing Moonshiner 28 almost more than the "tail". Less crowded and speed limits of 55mph for better enjoyment ��
The Dragon is a "destination" but there are much better roads near there, with less traffic. The Dragon is fine if you get there early in the morning, and get you a few runs in before the late sleepers arrive. Moonshiner 28 is good one, and the Cherohala Skyway is another, which has recently been repaved on the NC side.

I don't have any pics of me on a the the S1000R yet, just the K1600, and the Harley. Soon though!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm here now in the area. We spent the day yesterday winding our way from Murphy up to Tellico Plains, across the Skyway to lunch at the Tapico Inn, then up and down Deals Gap before working our way back to Murphy. It was a perfect day to ride with weather in the high 60's to low 70's and NO traffic anywhere. We went up Deals Gap without any traffic and only had to pass a couple of cars coming back down. We were lucky though because it must have been VW Golf club day there. There were dozens of little cars making stupid loud noise. We watched them come and go from the comfort of the porch at the store.

I have to say that this trip here again reaffirms for me that, even with no traffic on it, Deals Gap isn't on my list of favorite roads to ride - at least on a liter bike. There are so many roads in the area - hundreds of miles - that are more fun, more varied, better sight lines, and less circus where you can worry less about someone crossing the center line on you. I hope that comment doesn't come off the wrong way because I don't mean it to be elitist or self aggrandizing - just my personal preference for roads where I can let the mighty S1000RR more off the leash. Now, a 350 KTM super motard - 17" wheels and some soft rubber - and now we're in business on a road like the Gap but you'd still have to contend with the unique dangers and the circus.
IMHO, N. GA has the best roads in the area. Wolf pen Gap, and Six Gap Loops are great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, I'm going to be on the dragon and the skyway tomorrow Friday February 24 all afternoon. I'm trucking my bike 3hrs from Murfreesboro TN, riding for about 5 hrs then heading back home. It's supposed to be 78 degrees tomorrow, just seeing if anyone else will be out there?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts

EXCELLENT post! Many years ago, before it's become the circus/freak show it's become, I might have liked to ride it, but now......meh.

I'l ride better roads with more amazing scenery, better weather, and less traffic, out here in the West, thanks.

Oh, and as far as Hardley videos from the 'Dragon, this has to be my favorite! :)

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
^^BWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :laugh:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts