BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a suspension guy in VA, preferably near Hampton Roads. Tracking next season on a 2010 S1K. Would love to get suspension dialed in for my weight. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If your gonna track next season you may want to wait until your at the track. Depending on track and group they will usually have people to setup suspensions. That way they can do an initial setup, then take another look after you ride a session or two.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Anyone know of a suspension guy in VA, preferably near Hampton Roads. Tracking next season on a 2010 S1K. Would love to get suspension dialed in for my weight. Thanks in advance.
Assuming there's no known service history of your suspension, (last time the fluid was drained and replenished?), and/or the bike was a recent purchase by you...
Take the forks and shock off the bike, box them up and send to any of the following...
Traxxion Dynamics
Thermosman
RaceTech Suspension
or any other well known shop, who welcomes mail-in service.

The three mentioned above are all located in Georgia, easy to Google.

Price will be in the neighborhood of $500 give or take, which would include new fluid, revalving, and sprung for your weight. This would be making the OEM stuff as good as it can be, WITHOUT the additional expense of cartridge kit and replacement rear shock. Add $1500-$2000 to that number, in that case.

If this is beyond what you're interested in, I apologize in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
To answer your original question, you'd be coming out ahead mailing your stuff to one of the three I mentioned or Peterson Pro Suspension, Witchcraft racing.

You won't pay much more for someone like the aforementioned, than you would for anyone around Hampton roads/ state of Virginia, but if you do, it would be money well spent, for their expertise/experience/knowledge.

Sad but true.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Pops, your mind seems to be in "race mode" rather than track day mode." My impression was OP just wanted a basic setup of sag etc. If that fails to satisfy, your suggestions are perfectly appropriate.

OP, if you aren't in the 185-195lb. weight range, the bike will likely need to be resprung for your weight. That isn't going to happen at the track. The suspension guys on track days just do basic tuning. If you weigh under 170 or over 200, I'd follow pops advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feeback guys. im around 170. I normally fluctuate around 175 though so would it be better to send off or worthwhile to wait until season starts and have it done trackside. im lower intermediate and came from a Daytona 675 which handles rather nicely, but I couldn't feel the front wheel like a lot of people refer to. it felt kinda ehh I guess would be best way to describe it. I will still street ride the s1k on occasion, but am more concerned at setup for track as eventually it will become track only.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
I appreciate the feeback guys. im around 170. I normally fluctuate around 175 though so would it be better to send off or worthwhile to wait until season starts and have it done trackside. im lower intermediate and came from a Daytona 675 which handles rather nicely, but I couldn't feel the front wheel like a lot of people refer to. it felt kinda ehh I guess would be best way to describe it. I will still street ride the s1k on occasion, but am more concerned at setup for track as eventually it will become track only.
'14s and later were sprung for a 187lb. rider. If that was the case in 2010, in gear you should be fine for a track side base tune. Someone will correct me if I am wrong about the 2010s. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Pops, your mind seems to be in "race mode" rather than track day mode." My impression was OP just wanted a basic setup of sag etc. If that fails to satisfy, your suggestions are perfectly appropriate.
HA!
Not really, was thinking if he bought the bike used, there's a chance the fluid, in front and rear, MAY be the same fluid that has been in there since it rolled off the assembly line in 2009/10. (Datz 7 years Gangsta!). Getting the fluid changed would cost nearly the same as simply sending the goodies in a used rifle case, down to Georgia to have it all revalved as well.

OP might not seem to be too interested in diving into doing the fluid change himself.
Suggested only on the basis of overall cost savings.

Craigslist has used rifle cases regularly for under $50 with foam inside. Traxxion made this suggestion to me, when I inquired on having them revalved El Dukay this Winter.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
BTW.. @Jsnyder1292
there's still some trackdays left, around here Summit Point, WV (Shenny,) and NCCAR.
I'd like to do at least one weekend before late November, but this sudden urgency to drop trees, is probably going to prevent this small joy. First world problems...
:crying:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha im bummed because I love NCBike and I get back from my deployment right after season ends there...agreed...first world problems haha.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
haha im bummed because I love NCBike and I get back from my deployment right after season ends there...agreed...first world problems haha.
I'm kind of old, can't remember if I told you but, thanks for your service!

When do u get back?
P.R.E. and N2 have some late--ish dates too.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
BTW...from PRE - PRE will be on VIR's Patriot Course on Sunday October 29, and the North Course on Monday October 30. This is the last motorcycle event of the season at VIR, and PRE's 2017 season finale. Come and join us for two great days of motorcycle fun at the best road course in the country! With PRE you get the maximum amount of track time for the lowest overall cost, and camping and power are free*. We run eight rotations and there is no down time for any other activities. This means more of your day is spent riding and not watching.

Also, Roger Lyle's Motorcycle Xcitement is at NCbike the first weekend of November Saturday/Sunday.

He gives decent discounts to active military too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts