BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The RR manual states the following steering damper settings (from fully closed):

5 clicks from closed for track
8 clicks from closed for highway

The photo shows clockwise movement to increase damping, counter-clockwise to reduce damping. But they don't say in which direction you'd go to get to "fully closed". I'm assuming full counter-clockwise is fully closed, then you go from there. Then again, when I think of "closing" something (like a faucet), it's full clockwise to do so.

Which way is correct?

·
Vendor
3,226 Posts
As has been stated. Full clockwise is closed. You are closing the valve for the oil to flow making it harder to pull/push.

The norm for damping settings (suspension or steering damper) is to refer as clicks or turns out. This means from the fully closed setting.

·
4,587 Posts
My advice is not to go over a couple of clicks. At first I had steering damper fully closed (tightest), but it was shadowing bigger riding mistakes. Now I have it at 2 clicks and I fixed my technique. It works much better when it was fully closed.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My advice is not to go over a couple of clicks. At first I had steering damper fully closed (tightest), but it was shadowing bigger riding mistakes. Now I have it at 2 clicks and I fixed my technique. It works much better when it was fully closed.
There are 10 clicks between full closed and full open. By happenstance, I set mine at 5 clicks from full open, which turned out to be 5 clicks from full closed. It works great...bike is stable, steering is responsive. Full closed...not sure that would work for me. Seems like it'd be very stiff. There's a reason BMW specifies the settings they do, I'm sure...and rarely have I gone wrong following the OEM recommendations. Just my perspective on it.

What do the rest of you riders use for a setting (specify if you're tracking or canyon riding, please...thanks!)?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
There are 10 clicks between full closed and full open. By happenstance, I set mine at 5 clicks from full open, which turned out to be 5 clicks from full closed. It works great...bike is stable, steering is responsive. Full closed...not sure that would work for me. Seems like it'd be very stiff. There's a reason BMW specifies the settings they do, I'm sure...and rarely have I gone wrong following the OEM recommendations. Just my perspective on it.

What do the rest of you riders use for a setting (specify if you're tracking or canyon riding, please...thanks!)?
I don't count clicks on either bike race bike or street bike, I set it where the bike is stable and feels good to me. From time to time depending on conditions I will adjust it accordingly nothing is carved in stone

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't count clicks on either bike race bike or street bike, I set it where the bike is stable and feels good to me. From time to time depending on conditions I will adjust it accordingly nothing is carved in stone
You are correct. Numbers are merely mileposts. How many miles is enough? That is for each of us to decide. The destination is not important...only the journey. But for some of us, we need to know where the journey begins, before we can give ourselves over to it, and let the destination be what it will be.

:grin2:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget the steering damper is not used to mask issues. If you have to keep adding clicks to solve an issue you need to find the actually issue
Thanks. No issues at all, just "dialing in" my steering and making sure I have a good starting point. I recently aligned my forks, which surprisingly needed it. Right now the bike appears to be really well dialed in. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
The stock damper on the 2010 was awful. If you are riding at a fast pace (or at the track at all) get an aftermarket one. Ohlins, Hyperpro, whatever. Huge difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A silly question, if I may.

What does the adjustment "closed/open" or "more or less dampened" actually do?

What does more dampening (5 clicks for track as opposed to 8 clicks for street) do exactly? Does it reduce "head shaking" under hard acceleration? Does it help while leaned over? What exactly does more or less clicks do? And why can one ride with more dampening on track as opposed to the street?

·
Registered
383 Posts

What does more dampening (5 clicks for track as opposed to 8 clicks for street) do exactly? Does it reduce "head shaking" under hard acceleration? Does it help while leaned over? What exactly does more or less clicks do? And why can one ride with more dampening on track as opposed to the street?
when you're on throttle out of a slow turn in low gear, the bike tends to wheelie and the front tends to be all over the place (shake). Steering damper (closed) helps to prevent this to some degree.

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts

Closed (More dampened) restricts the flow of oil inside the damper unit. This results in harder steering and reduces head shaking under hard acceleration and high speeds. It doesn't help while leaned over because you are not suffering any of these issues.

Open (Less dampened) allows the oil to flow inside the damper unit. This results in quicker steering but can result in less stability at high speed due to head shake.

Clicks are how you adjust the damping setting. Higher number of clicks in (clockwise) is restricting the flow making the damping stiffer. Lower number of clicks out (anti-clockwise) is allowing more flow making the damping lower and steering quicker.

Most riders will increase the damping setting on the track due to the high speeds you mainly ride at compared to the street. The street you are at a lower speed most of the time so you do not want/need a high damping setting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Cleared that right up.Thanks Benny for your very articulate and understandable explanation and not bombing me with one of your infamous memes 😁

1 - 19 of 19 Posts