BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started fine last week, put new grips on, bike started ok, but won't start this week.

New battery, 13.4 volts

Got some error codes from obdlink LX, the last 8, dunno when in the past these were detected, but I can't clear them.

21F956 Throttle grip sensor
21FA62 ?
21FA60 ?
21FA60
21FA31 interface pipe valve, servo motor
21FA31
21FA60
21FA31

Kombi codes
C90403

Could the throttle grip sensor error cause non starting issue? Even though it started and ran fine a few times after I changed grips?

Bike is 2016, Arrow slip-on, K&N Air Filter

Can't seem to attach the video from my phone, I can hear the fuel pump prime, bike cranks, tried to catch, but doesn't. Can smell fuel from exhaust.

Thus site: BMW Fault Code Lookup - BMWFaultCodes
Says "DME detects a non-complete adaptation of the throttle twistgrip sensor"??

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you unplug anything?
Nope. Just cut off the old grips super careful-like, put new ones on, started bike, checked heated grips still worked, rode bike from shed back to garage 50m, parked, left it a week, went to ride, no go...

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
Started fine last week, put new grips on, bike started ok, but won't start this week.

New battery, 13.4 volts

Got some error codes from obdlink LX, the last 8, dunno when in the past these were detected, but I can't clear them.

21F956 Throttle grip sensor

Kombi codes
C90403

Could the throttle grip sensor error cause non starting issue? Even though it started and ran fine a few times after I changed grips?

Bike is 2016, Arrow slip-on, K&N Air Filter

Can't seem to attach the video from my phone, I can hear the fuel pump prime, bike cranks, tried to catch, but doesn't. Can smell fuel from exhaust.

Thus site: BMW Fault Code Lookup - BMWFaultCodes
Says "DME detects a non-complete adaptation of the throttle twistgrip sensor"??

The twist grip was bad to get out of calibration on the 15/16. The error amount however was just under the threshold level to trigger a hard code like !ENGINE .. one way you can tell if the twist grip is out of calibration is the popping crackle from the exhaust. When you run a Adaptation Twist Grip sequence you will notice the pronounced level of popping and crackle from the exhaust. As the calibration moves from 2-4% error, the popping and crackle will reduce alot.

So when the throttle is out at 5% it can really cause hard start issues. One test you can do is to grab the twist grip, move it slightly more toward closed with a little gentle force, and turn the key on while holding the grip closed. Then hit the starter button while holding that grip closed gently and see that helps it start and idle.

Once at 125F on the coolant temp, the idle sequence will change and should run on its own. Re calibrate twist grip adaptation and it should be ok.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The twist grip was bad to get out of calibration on the 15/16. The error amount however was just under the threshold level to trigger a hard code like !ENGINE .. one way you can tell if the twist grip is out of calibration is the popping crackle from the exhaust. When you run a Adaptation Twist Grip sequence you will notice the pronounced level of popping and crackle from the exhaust. As the calibration moves from 2-4% error, the popping and crackle will reduce alot.

So when the throttle is out at 5% it can really cause hard start issues. One test you can do is to grab the twist grip, move it slightly more toward closed with a little gentle force, and turn the key on while holding the grip closed. Then hit the starter button while holding that grip closed gently and see that helps it start and idle.

Once at 125F on the coolant temp, the idle sequence will change and should run on its own. Re calibrate twist grip adaptation and it should be ok.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't help, holding the throttle closed, still won't start.

So if I can find someone with a GS-911 and reset the calibration, will I be able to start the bike? Or should I just trailer it to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Strange list of fault codes for sure.

Mind you, I've seen fault codes that come up in MotoScan and OBDLink LX, that doesn't come up in 'other' software.

I have a GS-911 that I could overnight bag it to you, before you take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strange list of fault codes for sure.

Mind you, I've seen fault codes that come up in MotoScan and OBDLink LX, that doesn't come up in 'other' software.

I have a GS-911 that I could overnight bag it to you, before you take it to the dealer?
generous offer thanks mate - it reminded me one of my usual riding mates also has one, I'll hit him up for it.

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't help, holding the throttle closed, still won't start.

So if I can find someone with a GS-911 and reset the calibration, will I be able to start the bike? Or should I just trailer it to the dealer?

If you can get a GS911 to run the adaptation of the twist grip, it might start. If you dont see !ENGINE on the display, I am concerned it is something beyond the twist grip calibration. Maybe however with the GS911 you get can get a better code reading from it.

if the dealer is close and wont charge a huge diagnostic fee, then maybe that is a better approach. Then ISTA+ can read the codes 100% correct.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well with the GS-911 I managed to reset the throttle, and got it started.

Reset the error codes, the throttle error is gone, and the servo error is present - let it run up to about 85 deg, revved it, and it cut out straight away, and wouldnt restart - I guess I'm going to the dealer :(

Fault Codes Report

GS-911 version: 1908.1 Datapack version:14.4 Serial Number: GS3 000 655 Registered to: xxx xxx
Date: 12/2/2019 Time: 7:25:38 PM

Motorcycle VIN: WB10D1008GZ339xxx

21FA31: Balance-pipe valve servomotor, no feedback or adjustment error
This problem occurred once.
The fault is currently present.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well with the GS-911 I managed to reset the throttle, and got it started.

Reset the error codes, the throttle error is gone, and the servo error is present - let it run up to about 85 deg, revved it, and it cut out straight away, and wouldnt restart - I guess I'm going to the dealer :(

Fault Codes Report

GS-911 version: 1908.1 Datapack version:14.4 Serial Number: GS3 000 655 Registered to: xxx xxx
Date: 12/2/2019 Time: 7:25:38 PM

Motorcycle VIN: WB10D1008GZ339xxx

21FA31: Balance-pipe valve servomotor, no feedback or adjustment error
This problem occurred once.
The fault is currently present.
maybe you have a similar problem https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/221906-fault-code-21fa31-discovered-using-my-gs-911-wifi.html

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator
6,234 Posts
Balance pipe servo motor is the front servo motor that controls the butterfly on the headers. These used to fail on the 12-14 model and make a really bad rattle at start up. Whole exhaust replacement was needed. Your cable might need adjusting to the front butterfly valve on the headers. Or the valve is jammed or the servo is faulty. See if the cable is tight or loose.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Would a balance/interference pipe servo motor issue, prevent the bike from starting or running correctly?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would a balance/interference pipe servo motor issue, prevent the bike from starting or running correctly?
Damn good question. maybe someone more learned than I can answer? @BMW_388 ?

Anyhow, I'll take the lhs fairing off and have a look today. Really unsure what could be wrong, would the gs-911 show up bad plugs or coils? Plugs are only 4000km old. maybe a tank of bad fuel? I guess I could drain it and put some new stuff in...

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Have you tried checking all the 'Engine Realtime Data' with the GS-911 to make sure all the values 'appear' normal e.g. Throttle position, fuel pressure etc?

I would think it strange that it would be fuel as the bike idled up to 85 degC

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried checking all the 'Engine Realtime Data' with the GS-911 to make sure all the values 'appear' normal e.g. Throttle position, fuel pressure etc?

I would think it strange that it would be fuel as the bike idled up to 85 degC
yeah they looked ok, until I blipped the throttle and it cut out and wouldn't restart again

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
yeah they looked ok, until I blipped the throttle and it cut out and wouldn't restart again
Sounds like it is still related to the throttle assembly on some way. Maybe something to do with the way you changed the grips?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts