BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Im looking for info about the stock steering damper because yesterday i got the mother of all tank slappers and theres only just over 5000 klms on the bike. Anyone else have problems with tank slap?? I recently got new tyres fitted (michelin pure 2ct) and the pressure is correct 42 rear and 36 front. Are the stock dampers useless after time and should i look into getting an aftermarket ohlins.. Any feed back would be appreciated

·
Registered
271 Posts
That's a common complaint with this bike and easily remedied with an Ohlins unit for a little over $300. Playing with geometry can help but it's largely due to the limited dampening offered by the stock unit.
The 2012 now has an adjustable damper but I've no idea how good they are.
Top mount are a practical solution also. Not that I'm an expert ,but you learn heaps on this site.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i made a few adjustments to the suspension and it helped a little. It's mainly down to the condition of the roads i think but im definately going to get a top mount ohlins to be on the safe side. Any links to some good sites?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks, i made a few adjustments to the suspension and it helped a little. It's mainly down to the condition of the roads i think but im definately going to get a top mount ohlins to be on the safe side. Any links to some good sites?
I've read the biturbo one is decent as well

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Ohlins mounts in the same location as the stock unit. Makes adjustment a little more difficult compared to the top mount units but is easier to install and is out of the way.

Top mount units can be adjusted easily and even on the fly on some models. They are a little large but may be "cool" looking depending upon your take. Probably about the same cost wise. Top fork bridge needs to be removed to install these kits. One problem I have noticed when installing these top mounted kits is that the BMW steering stem yolk is only long enough for the stock height of the fork bridge. Adding the top mounted kit actually raises this height just a little bit--a few millimeters--but it is enough to have just a little less than optimal amount of thread remaining when installing the tip triple clamp again. The nut holding the triple clamp on is aluminum so be very careful when tightening. You may have to tighten to less than the 100Nm spec or you run the risk of stripping the nut as not all threads are engaged when tightening torque is being reached.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all that info, after reading this i think i'll just go for one that replaces the original because it will be handier to switch over. I just need something that works well because the standard one might aswell not be there its so useless..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts