BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sprint Filter Update

Hello all -
Just caught this youtube video from Brock @ Brock's Performance. Should shed some light on the issues that some have been describing about the Sprint Filters. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Thanks for the explanation; although I see his point, the now "old" filter definitely had an issue, and it's why there's a new design. Knowing that there may be issues with installation with the previous model (which I call BS on right now), why not inform the customer ahead of time? Not only that, but my filter was not deformed when brand new.

In short, it's not considered good customer service when you make a performance part that performs below that of the stock filter - by possibly causing serious engine damage, and then try to blame the customer for not installing it properly?

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Thanks for the explanation; although I see his point, the now "old" filter definitely had an issue, and it's why there's a new design. Knowing that there may be issues with installation with the previous model (which I call BS on right now), why not inform the customer ahead of time? Not only that, but my filter was not deformed when brand new.

In short, it's not considered good customer service when you make a performance part that performs below that of the stock filter - by possibly causing serious engine damage, and then try to blame the customer for not installing it properly?
EXACLY why I chose to stick with the excellent quality OEM (Mahle?) filter. The, what, maybe extra 1-2hp you MIGHT get wasn't worth the risk to me.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
EXACLY why I chose to stick with the excellent quality OEM (Mahle?) filter. The, what, maybe extra 1-2hp you MIGHT get wasn't worth the risk to me.
Yes agreed. The only reason I purchased the sprint was the ability to clean and reuse it, but I am always a bit skeptical about perceived performance claims when it comes to certain aftermarket parts. Lesson learned!

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Yes agreed. The only reason I purchased the sprint was the ability to clean and reuse it, but I am always a bit skeptical about perceived performance claims when it comes to certain aftermarket parts. Lesson learned!
Hopefully it isn't an EXPENSIVE lesson for ya!

Reactions: Demmel and netaron

·
Registered
776 Posts
I VERY MUCH appreciate the video, because it shows EXACTLY what MIGHT be the problem, and EXACTLY how to check you've correctly installed it. Could I have installed it incorrectly? Sure (I don't think I did, but I'm going to have a hard look at my filter edges and see if I see anything out of whack when I get home). What I want to ask Brock is to wipe his finger on the inside of his airbox and see what comes off...

·
Registered
776 Posts
After posting here (and on youtube), I was so impressed I called to compliment Brock, but he was on the dyno...I would have loved to chat with him a few moments.

The truth is, that the Sprint race filter may do exactly what it's designed for (allow the most air in while keeping objects out of the intakes). But remember, the bike this filter was made for, are for those performance (not longevity) is the priority.

A WSBK bike needs the air to get the most performance, but NOBODY expects the engine to last, not even an entire season, so all they need it to do is filter enough to keep it from being the reason the engine grenades, then they rebuilt it. Not exactly what the club racer/trackday rider/street rider community needs....

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
It's a very interesting and informative video! However, it does not show how to easily install and check that the filter is installed correctly with the airbox in place on the bike. there is very little room to work there and not much view points to check installment. I have not had a problem with either the stock filter or the BMC filter I have(and have reverted to now). I bought a Sprint filter, not for gains, but because I like the idea of a re-usable filter. I have a BMC on my R and decided to try the Sprint for my XR. Both now have BMC filters in them.

I shipped the Sprint back to my supplier as a POS. Not expecting anything back. It is however interesting now that Sprint have stiffened up it's sidewalls (BMC filters have this for years.).

my 2c worth....

81 - 90 of 90 Posts