BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
As is evident, there are other threads about this particular filter and its flaws. I contacted the manufacturer in Milano and they asked me to contact Brock's performance in the states instead. Both companies have received my dissatisfaction with the Sprint P08's flaws. I'm still waiting to hear back from Brock's since early December. The short sides of the filter do not have structural support like the long sides, hence why they cave in.

Please refer to post #26 here for pictures: https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/...print-filter-p08-excessive-dust-airbox-3.html

IMHO, this is not a proven product and could cause serious engine damage if not caught in time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I 100% not looking to add misinformation in anyway BUT even with the filter correctly seated there filtration of fine dust/pollen whatever you want to call it is pathetic for road use there a liability so much so mine has been dis guarded to the rubbish bin. Just so I'm not labeled a crack pot after first being alerted to the particle migration into airbox by a friend (service personal discovered) I inspected mine same fault & then did research as to cause & found the not seating correctly scenario & allot of other people with same fault. I reinstalled my filter being extremely careful filter seated correctly (my filter had perfect form there was zero warping even when filter not seated) did another trip away & inspected filter again same scenario particles in airbox. Changed back to oem zero particles, when I bought my sprint filter there was a total of 3 filters bought & all the bikes (all friends) have had same problem & all have changed back to oem, the common factor is we all ride together same roads in Australia. So out of 3 sprint filters, 3 bikes all had dust/pollen migration into airbox & I'm not talking about few particles the inside has a full covering.

·
Vendor
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Sure wish he'd run his finger across that airbox in his video to see it there was dust or not.

Moto: Please recommend a correct method to install to ensure seating? Mine also shows very minor dust inside box would prefer it be ****/span! Might ought to get a pic to upload. My filter showed no distortion when I removed it...
What you are seeing could be pollen and not dust. Pollen will get through and from what Sprint Filter says it is safe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What you are seeing could be pollen and not dust. Pollen will get through and from what Sprint Filter says it is safe.
It is more than pollen, fine dust as well because after trip away having to travel through some road works that is dust & my airbox was covered. Sprint might say it's ok but if problems start to form with sensors etc who pays, the owner. I have never had same problems traveling same scenario roads with oil covered aftermarket filter so it is the dry filtration media sprint uses lets the finer micron particles through.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
As Roy said, all 4 of us down here who know each other and ride with each other and bought Sprint Filters have now chucked them in the bin.

I've now fitted a K&N.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have always used BMC filters but heard the hype about the Sprint and not having to use oil on it I thought was great. Now Im going to have to take it out and check for this dirt/dust. Maybe back to BMC I go.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I have always used BMC filters but heard the hype about the Sprint and not having to use oil on it I thought was great. Now Im going to have to take it out and check for this dirt/dust. Maybe back to BMC I go.
Like you I have used BMC for years without issue. Also like you I succumbed to the hype and installed a Sprint. I inspected the airbox after 1500 miles(note, miles done in Oct/Nov), there was dust/pollen the box and the filter frame (on the short side) was distorted.

Took the Sprint out and but a BMC in.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Like you I have used BMC for years without issue. Also like you I succumbed to the hype and installed a Sprint. I inspected the airbox after 1500 miles(note, miles done in Oct/Nov), there was dust/pollen the box and the filter frame (on the short side) was distorted.

Took the Sprint out and but a BMC in.
Maybe I should just get the BMC first so I dont have to go through the process twice.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Had the same problem some time ago. I contacted the company then and once more now. I cleaned the airbox refitted the P08 but after 1000km same thing...excessive dust. Their response "the filter has been clearly fitted incorrectly and folded. The powder passes from the fold". The filter was fitted perfect according to manual and never folded. I do like the performance but I DO NOT like the excessive dirt in my bike's airbox. Stock filter for me.

·
Registered
2021 M + Carbon Package
866 Posts
Sprint P-08, 6 trackdays, some street miles

Finally took a look into my airbox after <1 year with the sprint, not good.

Excessive red dust. Back to stock filter.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
I find it difficult to believe people are whining about the dust. It's a performance filter designed for maximum HP people. :wink2: Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we ran open carbs or velocity stacks with no filtration. I never suffered catastrophic engine failure from doing so. Damn! I'm still roaming the earth! I must be one of those new new fangled dinosaurs from Jurrasic World Fallen Kingdom. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
For me, perhaps the issue isn't just allowing larger particles in, it's the sides of the filter that deform and allow unfiltered air through. I can live with knowing it allows pollen, whatever micron that may be, but if it's structurally unsound, toss it I say.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
It is worth remembering if Tyrannosaurus Rex were alive today, he would be kicking major butt.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I find it difficult to believe people are whining about the dust. It's a performance filter designed for maximum HP people. :wink2: Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we ran open carbs or velocity stacks with no filtration. I never suffered catastrophic engine failure from doing so. Damn! I'm still roaming the earth! I must be one of those new new fangled dinosaurs from Jurrasic World Fallen Kingdom. :laugh:
In my situation the P8 was the model and not a race version P16 etc. As far as I know P8 is a street filter with superior filtration to the oil lubed filters. What does this translate to?For race engines that get regular rebuilds the dust might not be a problem, but for street bikes that get rebuilds when they have a problem after many many km, might be. I want my air box PERFECTLY clean, this is the reason there is a filter there. Never had this problem with 2 other brands I used.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You have a very valid point until you actually use logic, sprint make 2 filters road & race even if both are aimed for max performance/flow. You can expect the race to maybe allow more particles through but a race/track bike isn't doing major miles or ever traveling over road works etc. The road aimed filter you would expect to keep airbox clean which is reason for a filter doesn't matter what size particles, using your logic don't bother with a filter at all. Modern EFI isn't anything like carby dinosaur bikes they use sensors that don't particularly like dust & don't require the maintenance the dinosaur carby bikes did with regular cleaning & strip downs. Granted there is no factual data that the fine particles the sprint filter allows into airbox will cause problems that one can view, but given a choice a clean airbox is the preferred senario would it not be.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I think it's pollen getting through, pollen is super tiny, and we see it once it clumps up a bit.
This debate will continue until someone can get whatever is getting through analyzed.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Whatever is getting through I DO NOT want to see it in my airbox! This must be a clean area for the bike. Until I installed Sprint filter whenever I checked the air box it was clean from dust.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Most of the time with performance you sacrifice some reliability in terms of engine life. Not always. The best current examples would be the HP4 Race motor and the "new" yet to be released next gen motors. The HP4Race motor needs to be sent back to Germany for a rebuild approx. every 3K miles. New gen motors have the normal warranty with no such restrictions. With air filters, it's much more simple. To get more power they need to flow more air. To flow more air, they need to be less restrictive. Yes that means more particles of a certain size get by. Is there a manufacturing anomaly that prevents the filter from sealing properly? Maybe. I didn't see that in mine first time I checked. My point was. You want more power whatever the cost or you don't. I've run enough bikes for enough miles with no filtration whatsoever to know my HP4 engine will be healthy long after it is sold running the P8 filter. The rest of you just put the stock filter back in and go back to your "Comfort rooms." Clearly you have been triggered. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

More power or a squeaky clean air box. Everyone gets to make their own choice. I don't fault those that prefer a stock filter. Rebuilds are expensive and I'll let you know if I ever have to do one and my filter choice was the cause. No need for anyone's panties to be in a twist. :wink2: Happy New Year guys! Can't wait for the track day/ racing season to start and the "new '20" to arrive. :smile2:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Have to consider a "race" filter goes on a "race" bike that get's rebuilt all the time and doesn't have to last very long...might not be the best option for me.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts