BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2021 s1000rr
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us that are a touch bigger than the average Moto GP rider lol, I'd suggest looking into a true dial in of the suspension.

I just installed a stiffer spring I purchased from San Jose BMW and the difference is noticeable and awesome.

Now the bike feels almost surgical and the nose does not dive hard under heavy braking. Just this one small rather cheap piece is a big deal in my world.

My local Ducati shop had it installed in 30 min. It was cake. I didn't have the tools, I do almost all my own work

I'm in love with the bike all over again, this time for how amazing it feels.

Again simple not to expensive and in my knucklehead opinion it's totally worth it.

For perspective: I'm 6"1-ish. 247lbs without leathers. I went with an 11kn spring.

San Jose BMW guys are great, gave some good advice and kept me informed of the progress of my purchases.

Maybe give it a shot....

· Registered
2021 s1000rr
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah well I am fked because I am in Australia and they won't sell it to me. Anyone from the US who can order me one and ship it over? Don't care what it costs. I need one.
Pm me. Ill get your details maybe we can get it going for you.

· Registered
2021 s1000rr
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say 11kn, but I'm no expert. This part of the bike is like dark magic to me.
During the week reach out to San Jose BMW, ask for Bill in parts. Tell him your details and he'll sort it out. He's pretty awesome.

· Registered
2021 s1000rr
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right on man. I got one ride on my new spring new brake pads and levers.. then she went to the dealer. Just got it back looking forward to enjoying it. I think you'll dig it.

· Registered
2021 s1000rr
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually with the preload setting in the rear it's doing fine. No wonky tire wear. Although I've been looking for a new spring back there. Can't find anything. If you do please let me know.

· Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,431 Posts
Right so I fitted the new spring yesterday. Went for a spin today. Started off with no preload on it at all in Race mode (not adjustable). Rode out to the start of the twisties. Seemed to use a fair bit at half pace. Put 5 turns in. Went up the hill. Used all travel. Put 2 more in now at 7. Went back down the hill. Used it all. Put 2 more in now at 9. Went up the hill and used all of it. Put 2 more in now at 11. Came down the hill and checked it when I got home. Seemed to use most of it but didn't bottom. Considering 15 turns is max, I would have expected to be less than 11. I did a quick and basic sag measurement, came out at 34-36mm. Recommended being 38-42mm. So it seems I am a little on the stiffer side of things. Given the bumpy roads I ride on and hard braking, the suspension seems to bottom quite a lot. I may even dial in 12 or 13 and see how that fares. This is of course in Race mode which is not adjustable. I will also try the Pro modes and muck around with comp and rebound to see how that changes it. Got a baseline for now at least. The bike definitely felt different. I'm also running different tyres to what I normally run so I took it easy to start with and just tried to feel the bike out a bit. By the end I was upping the pace. But still need calibrate to the new set up. Not 100% confident on it yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.