BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What causes a speed wobble mid turn? I was taking a high speed sweeper, and once I found my line it eventually started to wobble. I'm due for my 7000 mile service, so idk if it was the bike or rider error.

·
Administrator
6,849 Posts
My guess would be rider error, not looking through the turn. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure there will be a few more soon.

But wait, there's more. Maybe your tires are flat spotted in the middle, or you ran over a seam in the pavement.

What do YOU think happened?

·
4,891 Posts
It's 6k service not 7k. And it involves only oil, oil filter, air filter, nothing major.

So it's most likely a rider error. Did you apply brakes through the turn? Stick to straight roads :grin2:

Have you changed your steering damper settings?

Do you have your suspension tuned to your weight and riding style? Sat sag? DDC at right settings?

Check your chain to be in spec.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
It may be helpful to describe what you mean as a speed wobble. Do you mean head shake? Instability maintaining your line? What exactly is the issue?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@skapan My tires have a small flat spot in the center, and there's a few small bumps in the left lane. I've taken the turn faster, so my guess I was being lazy.
@z00 No I was smooth on the throttle. Steering dampener is 10 clicks to the right, and suspension is whatever the dealership had it set to.
@Elk Idk what it was. I was already holding my line and it felt like the bike started to sway underneath me. I've never had a speed wobble or any unwanted movements before.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
If this occurred only once, I suspect you crossed a slippery tar snake, the front tire was slightly caught in a grove in the payment or the like.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Did you notice what you were doing with your arms? Were they tense or holding on tightly, or did they grip tighter when you felt the beginning parts of the wiggle?

How might tightness on the bars make the bike feel while cornering?

I've also written an article on tank slappers that you can read and see if that helps with understanding what might have happened. You can find it here: What?s a Tankslapper? | MotoMom

Cheers :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@Elk I took a closer look at the road today, and there were no tar snakes only the bumps.

@misti They were pretty loose, and I loosened up more once it began. Maybe I was too loose, and didn't give enough input to hold the countersteer? I'll check out the article now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How much tread do you have left on your tires and did it feel like you were slipping further out away from your line? If you felt like you were slipping away from your line, is the lane concrete or asphalt?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the wires were showing in the middle and no it felt like the bike was swaying. how do you tell the difference?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
You definitely need tires and have someone assist you setting up the suspension!! I change out tires when the rubber is 1 to 2 mm above the indicators. There is the odd tire that has more rubber once the grooves are gone. Maybe another reader knows which tire. Keep upright and have a blast.

·
Registered
601 Posts
@Elk I took a closer look at the road today, and there were no tar snakes only the bumps.

@misti They were pretty loose, and I loosened up more once it began. Maybe I was too loose, and didn't give enough input to hold the countersteer? I'll check out the article now.
You mention that you may not have had enough input to hold the counter steer....here is a question for you...Once you have counter-steered the bike into the turn and are at the lean angle you want to be (provided you are rolling on the throttle) do you need to keep pressure on the inside bar in order to hold the lean angle or can you loosen up your grip on both hands?

Misti

·
Registered
192 Posts
Come on, all these comments on how to ride a bike and the OP has wire showing in his (rear probably) tire. Get new tires and start over, gee whizz.

Reactions: BruceV

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
If you really had the steel cords showing - thank your lucky stars that all you experienced was a wobble - sway or head shake - you could have felt the road.

We all have an opinion in regard to what we deem is safe or not - but for this rider - tire condition on any of my bikes is of the highest priority - you would not catch me ever riding on tires that are anywhere close to be worn that much.

Tires are cheap - I replace way before they quote look bad.

Get a set of new tires on your bike - I'd bet your problem will be solved. If not at least that has been ruled out and you are not putting yourself at risk riding on dangerous tires.

·
Registered
601 Posts
@misti I use to put pressure for the counter steer, but I've been working on not doing so.
Good. There is a big misconception out there that you need to continuously hold pressure on the bar while cornering but it's not necessary. Once you have the bike at the lean angle you want (provided you have good throttle control) the bike will maintain that line until you counter steer out of it.

What techniques are you using to help you relax and not hold pressure on the bar?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What techniques are you using to help you relax and not hold pressure on the bar?
I usually just give it more gas.
Do you have any suggestions on what to do when I need to fix my line? I usually just back off the throttle a little, but I feel like I overload the front tire when I do.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
10 clicks on the steering damper sounds like too much. If I recall, the factory setting is somewhere around 5-7...have to check it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts