BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am setting this thread up to document the install of the aforementioned exhaust, on a 3rd generation S1000RR.

I had been longing for a Complete Bodis Titanium exhaust, because it's German ( from RACEFOXX.com) with 380 mm can, but @M GmbH changed my mind!

The cheapskate in me, could not resist a great deal!

Folks I can't say enough good things about his (M GmbH) attention to detail. He actually took the time to wrap, the packaging from Italy, in nondescript plain brown wrapping paper, in order to prevent possible theft or vandalism (either through the carrier or other!!!).
Who even begins to care, once they made the sale? Sure there's insurance, but not having to deal with the hassle of filing a claim, simply because, a little attention to detail, on the front end was exercised, lessens the chance of any related issue cropping up later.

I plan to weigh all items removed ( OEM Exhaust, cables, modules, etc.) VS, items installed, via the USPS kiosk scale, and post the images, if for no other reason than personal gratification, and accounting.

At first blush, the system appears to be of very good quality, (welds, finish, packaging, etc), and came with a db killer installed. It will be jettisoned prior to installation on the bike, I guarantee, without hesitation/reservation.

I opted for what Spark refers to as the Superbike muffler (long) as opposed to the MotoGp muffler (short) for personal preference. The insignia on the muffler is laser etched, not a decal as shown on some vendors' photos, which I believe is just a touch more "classy" than a sticker. Yes, I am that "uptight" about certain things, concerning my German Superbike. I mean c'mon, it's not as common a machine as say the run of the mill, CBR/VFR, GSX-R, YZF-R, ZX-R,

It's a proper European motorbike!!!!!

:smile2::nerd::surprise:0:)>:):grin2::laugh::)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I opted for what Spark refers to as the Superbike muffler (long) as opposed to the MotoGp muffler (short) for personal preference. The insignia on the muffler is laser etched, not a decal as shown on some vendors' photos, which I believe is just a touch more "classy" than a sticker. Yes, I am that "uptight" about certain things, concerning my German Superbike. I mean c'mon, it's not as common a machine as say the run of the mill, CBR/VFR, GSX-R, YZF-R, ZX-(your-momma)-R,

It's a proper European motorbike!!!!!

:smile2::nerd::surprise:0:)>:):grin2::laugh::)
Great decision, quality kit and spoken like a true enthusiast for the brand...let others settle

·
4,668 Posts
Any pics with exhaust installed?

What do you plan to use for fuel mapping? PCV, Rapidbike, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Halfway there for now

Couple pics, been stopping and seeing things that need removed/attention, so my progression is sssssslow.
Examples......horn, bent fairing brackets, front sprocket cover, rear hugger, and wrapping open connectors with electrical tape, then trying to zip tie them inconspicuously.

I've decided I might as well switch over to engine ice, since it will be easier in the long run, to do it now rather than later.

I'm going to weigh all the garbage I took off, but I don't think the net difference will be much more than 10 lbs. Would be nice, but I've got 70 lbs to drop off my own frame, and that will be much more rewarding, and cheaper!

So between the wheels (9lb 11oz) exhaust and Street equipment, (~10lbs) it should be almost as light as the lightest bike I ever had, an sv650, but with 130+ HP and double the Tq (ft/lbs)

:smile2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pic of Gilles pegs

The pics on the thread "what you....today?" from a day or so ago didn't show that great, so I figured I try again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Balls!!!!!

@kruizen and @the_gooch

I have experienced your pain!
That rear servo, was easier to remove because of what the first guy explained at VIR last year, and what Gooch posted here last year.

Thanks to both of you!:smile2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weight of 3rd Generation Exhaust

Just got back from the Post Office near the house. I don't know about others, but this one leaves the door open for people to access their boxes, and it has a scale accessible after hours too.

OEM Exhaust
The dB eater is 9.1 oz.

The muffler without the dB eater, but including the mounting bolt that goes into the OEM Right rearset,
8 lbs 6.2 oz.

The bolt is 1.4 oz.

The OEM Header including front and rear servos, actuators, and cables,
15 lbs. even.

The OEM exhaust with the dB eater installed was 23 lbs 15.3 oz. total.

The Spark Stainless with Titanium Can

Springs, header inserts, wide band plug, springs, screws, basically all hardware related to mount the header and midpipe to the bike,
1 lb 12.7 oz

Hardware and hanger to mount the muffler, without passenger
7.1 oz
with passenger, different hanger and hardware
9.7 oz

Header/collector/midpipe
8 lbs 5.4 oz

Muffler with dB insert
4 lbs 2.3 oz

Without dB
Forgot tool at home to remove, will update later

This is being transformed to a track only bike, so the difference is
9 lbs 3.8 oz
using the Spark total weight of

14 lbs 11.5 oz

I am totally surprised, from what I've seen posted for the weight of the 3rd generation oem exhaust, and what I was able to find for the Spark SS/Ti exhaust, my expectation was around 5 lbs net loss. Happy happy joy joy! Thanks again @M GmbH

Pictures of the exhaust mounted on bike coming in next post.

·
Vendor
1,207 Posts
Thank you for taking time to do this. My post office Is the same. I've gotten plenty of strange looks for weighing various motorcycle parts there all hours.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Raw video

This is the first time I've started the beast since last trackday in November 2015.
No trickle charger, during that time and some wicked cold between then and now.

Started first try!
Anyhoo, the exhaust went together without a hiccup.

I'm glad to put that to bed, now I have to get to painting that bodywork.

Like I said it is a raw, unedited video, that is being shared for informational purposes regarding the sound and overall fitment on the bike. I'll be posting some pictures with a few captions, of how it went together. There were no instructions, but it's not my first rodeo. Maybe there's some online at the mother site, don't care, was very straight forward, and no missing pieces, or extras to confuse the issue. I have to resize the pics so it'll be a while.

Fingers crossed, that this works......
https://goo.gl/photos/fYmRmyMusNXS7cvo7

·
4,668 Posts
Sounds sick Shane! Nice legs! lol

With RK3 and full track bike. Are you ok with warranty getting voided? I'm surprised you only have ~3600miles, expected it to have more.

Is your engine light on because of servos or something else? Is it going to go away once you install RK3?

Another thumbs up for @M GmbH! Great guy, I got my 520 kit and Brembo rotors from him. Ti bolts did not work on my wheels and he refunded me money fast. I'll hit him up for sure when I'm ready to buy headers soon.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds sick Shane! Nice legs! lol

With RK3 and full track bike. Are you ok with warranty getting voided? I'm surprised you only have ~3600miles, expected it to have more.

Is your engine light on because of servos or something else? Is it going to go away once you install RK3?

Another thumbs up for @M GmbH! Great guy, I got my 520 kit and Brembo rotors from him. Ti bolts did not work on my wheels and he refunded me money fast. I'll hit him up for sure when I'm ready to buy headers soon.
At the beginning of the video, there's an old man grunt, that's me reacting to the engine light. Probably has something to do with servos, but all I wanted to do was make the fan kick on, let the fan turn back off, and kill it.

Going to check it with gs after work tomorrow. Was getting my ass kicked by that freaking rad/oil cooler support, so I gave up and went ahead and cranked the engine before leaving the garage for the day.

RCK 3 is next year 2017, going to run this with the narrowband sensors plugged in, there's nothing horrible about it. I have about another 1000 miles than what is showing, due to inoperable odometer/speedometer from the initial wheel installation last year. Yes by next year or even this year if I find the spare cash, if the warranty gets called into question, not a deal breaker. Just because the bike may end up100% track, does not automatically void the warranty. Not until it is used in competition. Test and tune at the dragstrip is not competition. Running around a road course at a trackday event, is not competition. Neither rewards you anything other than skill enhancement and personal satisfaction.

That said, I've been told it's not an absolute void just for using the RCK3, either as long as your dealer has your back.

·
4,668 Posts
^

You can check what's causing the engine light if you plugin servomotor plug (just wire no need to put back the assembly/cables). If light goes away, you can buy a servobuddy (on ebay last time I checked ~$55) to turn engine light off until you get RK3. GS will show the error code for servo missing as well.

I asked about warranty because my dealership in Calif told me when RK3 is purchased buyers need to sign a form that they accept the voiding of their warranty. Warranty stuff is all dealership dependent, be sure you double check with your dealership. Especially that you're doing the work yourself and they're not getting your business.

Curious to hear your feedback after you ride the bike if the full system mod was worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^

You can check what's causing the engine light if you plugin servomotor plug (just wire no need to put back the assembly/cables). If light goes away, you can buy a servobuddy (on ebay last time I checked ~$55) to turn engine light off until you get RK3. GS will show the error code for servo missing as well.

I asked about warranty because my dealership in Calif told me when RK3 is purchased buyers need to sign a form that they accept the voiding of their warranty. Warranty stuff is all dealership dependent, be sure you double check with your dealership. Especially that you're doing the work yourself and they're not getting your business.

Curious to hear your feedback after you ride the bike if the full system mod was worth it.
You should..................change your screen name Captain Obvious.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:x

1 - 20 of 32 Posts