BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Sooooo my bike shut off on me

3K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Fatal 
#1 ·
I've been trying to use my clutch lever and not the QS too much as I break the bike in. Had music playing through the Sena heading towards a stop light doing about 35 mph. Squeeze the clutch in, down shift then stop at the light. Light turns green and there I am. Engine is off..... Cars are behind like WTF. Only happened that one time so far but I only have 26 miles on the bike. I hope these nuances aren't common now.

#3 ·
Mine has not done it since the first time. It seemed like to me at least, that it happened when getting off the gas and pulling in the clutch from a slightly higher rpm but I could be wrong. What I’ve been doing is letting the bike engine break to slow down instead of just pulling in the clutch and coasting to a stop by using the brakes. Even when doing that it sometimes seems like it almost has a hiccup but so far so good stays running. It doesn’t excuse the fact that the bike shouldn’t die from just pulling in the clutch. It could be a software issue and or bad fueling I’m assuming but don’t hold my word on it. Hoping it gets corrected in the future. I havnt tried to make it happen again but kinda curious now what the issue is and what the solution will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thats not good, and hopefully not an occurrence of every time you ride. The possible common item between you new guys just getting these K67 and started riding them is the outside temp. Seems you both are riding in less than ideal temps like 50 degrees or less. Maybe that is having some influence over the current code in the ECU. Just guessing you both have at least Jan 2020 released code, I have not really tried that code at all in road testing. When you get the mileage limiter removed at 400-625 miles ( whatever your dealer is going to require ) the ECU will be updated as well. There is a current release in Feb, and I just loaded it today for some startup testing to see how it reacts.

#5 ·
Yea the warmest it’s been is 45 at the most which was today when I went out. Fatal is in the same state as me. Good to know that the ecu will get updated when I have them remove the limiter. 200 miles to go for me. Let us know what you think about the current release when you get a chance after seeing how it does

#6 ·
This is why I posted this. It would be helpful if everyone with this issue post when and how their bike shut off so we can maybe find the coincidence to help BMW fix it. 80% chance of rain today so I won't be able to get more miles in. When I ride I'm going to continue to use the clutch because to me that is part of break in. Hopefully I can get it to repeat the issue. Intermittent issues are difficult to diagnose.

#7 ·
Are you having trouble finding neutral? Or are you just using the clutch to break it in more? I used the clutch for a little bit and was also in a lot of stop and go traffic. Been using the quick shifter more to make sure it’s working correctly but may consider using the clutch more for the rest of the 200 miles I got left

#8 ·
Im getting used to finding neutral. I'm at a disadvantage because I got a total left ankle replacement last September and I still lack range on motion. I don't like the non adjustable stock rearsets so at some point I will need to replace them. The QS works good. I just want to break the clutch in. It's 37 out and no rain yet but it feels like 30 out... So tempted to go for a spin.

#10 ·
Says it's going to start in about an hour. It would take me at least 20 minutes to layer and suit up, get the bike out, warm it up... only to turn back around. I'll pass. Need to pick up my daughter early from school for a Dr appt later anyways.

#12 ·
damn didnt want to see this.

I had the bike turn off on me once (before the incident) but i think that was because i was used to the new bike and where the bike engages as you let out the clutch.

Hope it doesnt occur to you again.

I will say that finding Neurtral on my bike felt as natural as the '15 for what little time i had it.

#13 ·
Yeah. It completely threw me off guard. Because my music was still playing, dash was still on.... funny thing is something told me to put my GoPro on and record my ride but I knew it was going to be a short ride so I didn’t. Sometimes I use my GoPro more as a dash cam then action cam because of all of the idiots texting on the road. It would have been awesome to have it on video for all to witness. Oh well. Maybe next ride.

#14 ·
i hear ya, im waiting to buy a new gopro (last one is somewhere at the bottom of the gulf of mexico). I use mine as a dash cam as well. Keep it mounted to the bike though and not my helmet.

Any fault codes?

#15 ·
No fault codes at all. Still only 26 miles on her. May I ask what happened to your go Pro? I bet it’s a good story. My ex girlfriend bought me the hero for and I still have it in mint condition and it works flawless. That was the last thing she bought me so I will probably keep that one as a dedicated dash cam and I will most likely get myself a GoPro 360 Max soon. I really like the flexibility of the 360 camera. When I bought my new iPhone from Walmart on Black Friday they gave me a $300 in-store gift card so that card has action camera written all over it.

#16 ·
nothing too exciting. I went on a boat ride...hit a large wave, lost my grip on my camera and it flew out of my hands. earlier that morning i was thinking to myself to attach the buoy to it. i was in a rush and forgot. 400 lesson learned lol. Assumed it sank immediately as i never saw it again.

#17 · (Edited)
Aww dam! I have the floating handheld grip. It works well. Sometimes my kids want to use it when they are in the swimming pool at their moms house and I just toss it into the pool and they go get it.
The Insta 360 was pretty nice as well. During Black Friday Walmart had the GoPro hero 7 for $150. I almost bought one but since Christmas was around the corner I had to be disciplined and spend my money on my kids.

#18 ·
LMFAO might want to re-read your last sentence lol. Ty for the laugh though lol

i want to pick up a new gopro 8 but i know you can get some sweet deals for black friday. However, do i really want to ride without a camera until then?!?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.