BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2020 M package

Not sure if this was posted before but this is the first time i've seen this video.

Sucks that his rim chipped/cracked. The R&G case savers would have done their job along with race body work. The tires don't even look like they got used much. Maybe they were too cold.

·
Registered
854 Posts
These R&Gs stick too far out, I guess this is the reason why it flipped. I stopped using them and switched to GB racing, as they much shorter.

·
Vendor
2,642 Posts
I was there when it happened. Cold tires, and I nice seam line in the asphalt on corner exit. The frame slider did hook the edge of the track rumble strip and flipped on the right clip on and fuel tank. I was the one that rebuilt the bike. Most everything was replaced except the fuel tank and right side fork tube that was bent by the clip on bending downward. The bike still only has 900 miles as the owner does not ride much. I removed the frame sliders and it now has GB covers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2020 M package

Not sure if this was posted before but this is the first time i've seen this video.

Sucks that his rim chipped/cracked. The R&G case savers would have done their job along with race body work. The tires don't even look like they got used much. Maybe they were too cold.
I also have a 2020 M Package and low-sided on a left turn in downtown Chicago in October at only 21 mph and a 22-degree lean angle. It was 37-degrees that morning. Fortunately, I had video front and rear so I could be sure of what went wrong. Clearly cold tires, and the front let loose going over a small crack in the road that otherwise would have meant nothing. Crash protection was not yet available so I had none. I got off cheap with a broken clutch lever, a few small scratches on the fairing, a few scrapes on the engine case, and bruised ribs. I live in southern Texas and I should have had more respect for the cold (I do now). It makes you wonder how much crash protection one should install, and how much can lead to more damage.

·
Vendor
2,642 Posts
There is no real 'crash' protection when you are dealing with alot of motion. Any professional race environment ( MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, WSBK ) do not have frame sliders/protectors. They dont have axle bobbins poking out to what people think will help in protection of forks. swingarms, and calipers. Anything sticking out beyond the rearsets and clip ons are just adding to the hook it and flip it factor.

I cannot tell you the amount of frame protectors I have seen break off bolts in the frame and cause thread damage to the fastening point which is usually the engine. I have seen chucks of the engine case break open because of these bolts trying to snap off.

The frame protectors / extended protrusion point is great if you are pushing the bike around in the garage or at the fuel station and you accidentally loose the balance and drop the bike over on its side. That typically will save some plastic and even a brake or clutch lever. You put some motion into the situation and now flipping side over side becomes the issue.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have a 2020 M Package and low-sided on a left turn in downtown Chicago in October at only 21 mph and a 22-degree lean angle. It was 37-degrees that morning. Fortunately, I had video front and rear so I could be sure of what went wrong. Clearly cold tires, and the front let loose going over a small crack in the road that otherwise would have meant nothing. Crash protection was not yet available so I had none. I got off cheap with a broken clutch lever, a few small scratches on the fairing, a few scrapes on the engine case, and bruised ribs. I live in southern Texas and I should have had more respect for the cold (I do now). It makes you wonder how much crash protection one should install, and how much can lead to more damage.
Glad you had the bike are ok. Living in CT I’ve learned to be careful with the cold ground and cold tires. I accidentally drifted a slow turn one december day on my GSXR1000 and both my tires hit the curb. I broke my heal and the rearset footpeg. If was the slowest slide and yet there was nothing I could do but ride it out.

·
Registered
854 Posts
There is no real 'crash' protection when you are dealing with alot of motion. Any professional race environment ( MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, WSBK ) do not have frame sliders/protectors. They dont have axle bobbins poking out to what people think will help in protection of forks. swingarms, and calipers. Anything sticking out beyond the rearsets and clip ons are just adding to the hook it and flip it factor.

I cannot tell you the amount of frame protectors I have seen break off bolts in the frame and cause thread damage to the fastening point which is usually the engine. I have seen chucks of the engine case break open because of these bolts trying to snap off.

The frame protectors / extended protrusion point is great if you are pushing the bike around in the garage or at the fuel station and you accidentally loose the balance and drop the bike over on its side. That typically will save some plastic and even a brake or clutch lever. You put some motion into the situation and now flipping side over side becomes the issue.
True all that

·
Registered
426 Posts

Sliders are good at a stop or low speeds, but pot luck at speed, especially in environments where there are protrusions they can grab. This guy had bad luck when they grabbed the (near flat) track curb. The typical long low-side slide is often helped by sliders, though not much. Here, they definitely hurt a lot. Grabby things are more common on the street. Case covers are less ambiguously helpful.

Sliders would seem to be more effective, on average, if they had a break-away mechanism at a certain lateral torque level that would otherwise cause flip the bike or crack the frame. For example, have a two-part design where the external knob is attached into the large frame bolt with a much thinner/weaker bolt. It would take a ton of head-on impact, but far less lateral stress before breaking off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts