BMW S1000RR Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I just dumped my 2015 after 7 years for the factory… It was time to try the APE since I’m old and not getting any younger lol!
I assume you’re liking the bike?
Yes, liking the bike quite a bit. From a performance perspective it's a noticeable improvement from my former 2010 S1KRR. Like the styling for the most part, just don't like how the front portion of the "wings" look from a straight-on view perspective. Was easy to get rid of the cat with a short link pipe and exhaust can and liked how I could buy and swap in the Aprilia race ecu for a "plug and play" type performance upgrade.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Interesting… I like the way the bike looks, it’s freaky good in a “close encounters of the 3rd kind” of way… I got the black and red as the purple wasn’t gonna happen ever lol!

One of the big down falls for me and the 2015 was the handling. It required wrestling the bike and even then it still didn’t turn worth the crap. This APE falls in like a bike should IMO.
Not sure I’ll mess with the exhaust yet, Im in that “like it the way it is” stage..

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Interesting… I like the way the bike looks, it’s freaky good in a “close encounters of the 3rd kind” of way… I got the black and red as the purple wasn’t gonna happen ever lol!

One of the big down falls for me and the 2015 was the handling. It required wrestling the bike and even then it still didn’t turn worth the crap. This APE falls in like a bike should IMO.
Not sure I’ll mess with the exhaust yet, Im in that “like it the way it is” stage..
The black and red is a great looking color scheme. I've gotten several teasing comments from the guys I know who tech the bikes at track day events (BMW and Ducati owners usually) commenting on the "serving platters" or "starbucks cup holders" on the front of the bike, they're mostly giving me a hard time and then say it's a great looking bike overall.

Main reason I went with the cat-less exhaust and race ecu was so the bike would run cooler on the street while stuck in slow traffic or at long lines at stop lights. With the stock set up the coolant temps would get up to around 239 degrees F, as I have it modified the coolant temps run cooler and stay under 225 degrees F in the same conditions. At the track there is greater mid-range and top end power and the traction & wheelie control seems to be slightly less intrusive at the same settings with the race ecu vs the stock ecu. Can notice the slide control is less restrictive with the race ecu (rear tire will step out more before smoothly intervening) and the bike will carry higher and longer wheelies with the race ecu.

·
Registered
626 Posts
With the stock set up the coolant temps would get up to around 239 degrees F, as I have it modified the coolant temps run cooler and stay under 225 degrees F in the same conditions.
In what ambient temperatures would it spike to 239? That sounds too high. I've owned several makes/models, I don't think I've ever run that high without a fan relay going out.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
In what ambient temperatures would it spike to 239? That sounds too high. I've owned several makes/models, I don't think I've ever run that high without a fan relay going out.
Air temperatures were high 80s / low 90s (degrees F) on sunny days, temperature spiked to 239 while not moving in long lines at stoplights. I rode the bike at the track with the stock ecu / stock exhaust when the air temperature was 100 to 108 degrees F and the coolant temperature stayed under 220. Lack of air moving across the radiator / engine really affects the Euro 5 / current EPA emission compliant bikes more than the prior generations based on my experience.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That makes sense. I never ride like that for that reason. even idling by splitting lanes you get a little more air than the fan can provide.

I had a fan relay go out on me on two different bikes. It taught me just how fast the coolant temp can go up.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
225 Posts
I've never owned one but have ridden several tuonos and one rsv4 on street and I had the same thing happen. When sitting at a traffic light the Aprilia v4 motor will get hot fast and I think "heat soak" the frame so that at every next traffic light it will quickly rise to over 230 fans be damned ;). Its one of the reasons I don't own one cause otherwise they are great fun. One other thing: the motors cool down rapidly once moving and don't really throw much heat on the rider. Its only when they sit idling over and over that it quickly becomes a problem.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I was able to adjust the fan kick-in temp on my Tuono. When I installed a belly pan, it became necessary. I think the RSV will benefit from it, too. Not sure if people have found where the value is stored in the new ECU.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts