BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Update, so my buddy missed out on the RSV4 RF, but ended up buying a basically brand new V2. 12 miles on the odometer. I was hoping he got the ape but maybe this was meant to be? We'll see how this V2 is. It's in my garage because he doesn't have room to store it. Gave me the green light to ride it so it's like I have a V2 lol! Anyhow, haven't really taken it out or gotten on it because it still has to be broken in but I did take it around the block and I must say... the quick shifter on this machine is like butter... I'm super jealous, it's so much smoother than my 16' S1KRR.
I’m interested in this as I’m staring at a V2 to use at the smaller Texas tracks right now. Curious as to it’s performance.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Update, so my buddy missed out on the RSV4 RF, but ended up buying a basically brand new V2. 12 miles on the odometer. I was hoping he got the ape but maybe this was meant to be? We'll see how this V2 is. It's in my garage because he doesn't have room to store it. Gave me the green light to ride it so it's like I have a V2 lol! Anyhow, haven't really taken it out or gotten on it because it still has to be broken in but I did take it around the block and I must say... the quick shifter on this machine is like butter... I'm super jealous, it's so much smoother than my 16' S1KRR.
I test rode a V2 and loved it. No crazy power, but very playful.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm honestly curious to see how the power/throttle response feels when you change the engine mode. It's still in the "medium" setting and i think he's gonna leave it there until he hits about 300-600 miles for break-in.

·
Registered
2017 rr
507 Posts
I would advise against exhaust and remap unless the bike is primarily for track... Opening the exhaust emphasised the binary on/off throttle transitions. I had to spend a lot of time working on the torque maps to smooth the low RPM response.

What is this phenomena you're talking about here st? My 2017 has been mapped, de-cat, new headers, and I notice a sort of 'buzz' almost as I ride at 4k RPM, It felt to me like as if the throttle was rapidly fluttering or something? Is that what you are on about or is this unsmoothness I experience some regular feature of the bike. I also notice that if I try to hold the revs at say 2000 when stationary it simply will not settle down at that.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I was referring to keeping steady at very low revs. As I use my bikes for everyday riding, which includes a lot of slow riding in heavy traffic, I need a very smooth low end. It needs a tiny amount of torque added at zero throttle to eliminate the heavy engine braking effect when you close the throttle. You don't feel it at higher speeds. This is one of the main reasons I now ride S1000RR. It is much better for very slow riding. Ironically, I find the S1000RR a better city bike, and the Tuono a better track bike.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I’m interested in this as I’m staring at a V2 to use at the smaller Texas tracks right now. Curious as to it’s performance.
So I've been riding the V2 to help my buddy reach the break-in/run-in mileage. My impressions....well.... this is a fun, fun, fun machine to ride. It definitely takes some getting used to. I mean it's a completely different chassis that what I'm used to having ridden gsxrs, my honda track bike and the bmw. I felt like anoob just making a turn at a corner. Once you're moving though, she leans and holds a line very well. It's a more aggressive seating position and it is SUPER narrow in between your legs. You almost forget the bike is under you at times. The rear tire is a 180 and I feel like that messes with me mentally. My 16' S1KRR has a 200 rear and that's what I'm used to, I personally feel a difference but maybe it's just me? I'm limited to the power band because we haven't hit the 600 mile mark yet and we're limited to about 6k RPM but the few times I've wound it up past, you can feel the power. Not blinding fast S1000RR power, but enough for you say "OK, she's got a set on her..." Is just a fun bike to ride. The mirrors vibrate terribly, disappointing for a Duc of you ask me. It still has the stock exhaust and even though it's quiet, i like the sound of the V-twin. I can't wait for my buddy to get his exhaust for this, it's just.... money....a LOT of money lol. A tail tidy is a MUST. I installed his NRC tail tidy for him and man what a difference, looks so clean now. The TFT is beautiful and the riding modes are customizable. It's even got DRLs...I can't lie, I look at it and get a little jealous at times BUT...i still LOVE my 16 S1KRR, i just can't get past how much fun the V2 is to ride. It'll definitely be a fun track weapon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So I've been riding the V2 to help my buddy reach the break-in/run-in mileage. My impressions....well.... this is a fun, fun, fun machine to ride. It definitely takes some getting used to. I mean it's a completely different chassis that what I'm used to having ridden gsxrs, my honda track bike and the bmw. I felt like anoob just making a turn at a corner. Once you're moving though, she leans and holds a line very well. It's a more aggressive seating position and it is SUPER narrow in between your legs. You almost forget the bike is under you at times. The rear tire is a 180 and I feel like that messes with me mentally. My 16' S1KRR has a 200 rear and that's what I'm used to, I personally feel a difference but maybe it's just me? I'm limited to the power band because we haven't hit the 600 mile mark yet and we're limited to about 6k RPM but the few times I've wound it up past, you can feel the power. Not blinding fast S1000RR power, but enough for you say "OK, she's got a set on her..." Is just a fun bike to ride. The mirrors vibrate terribly, disappointing for a Duc of you ask me. It still has the stock exhaust and even though it's quiet, i like the sound of the V-twin. I can't wait for my buddy to get his exhaust for this, it's just.... money....a LOT of money lol. A tail tidy is a MUST. I installed his NRC tail tidy for him and man what a difference, looks so clean now. The TFT is beautiful and the riding modes are customizable. It's even got DRLs...I can't lie, I look at it and get a little jealous at times BUT...i still LOVE my 16 S1KRR, i just can't get past how much fun the V2 is to ride. It'll definitely be a fun track weapon.
This is a perfect response and Exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I love the look of the V2 and I don’t need a V4 because I have an S1krr already. The twin power will work perfectly for the small tracks here. No mention of the heat, so I’ll assume it’s not terrible.
thanks again!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah she still makes heat but it's bearable. With a leather suit on, my friend said he didn't even notice it.

Reactions: Gixxerguy855

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Rode the 5th track day of this year with the new RSV4 today. Best thing I like about the bike is the up/down quick-shifter after spending years riding without one. Also impressed by the mechanical grip the bike has coming out of corners, rarely see the traction control light come on even with the front wheel skimming over the pavement still partially leaned over. It's been a good consolation bike since I wasn't able to source a new S1000RR to my spec this past summer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rode the 5th track day of this year with the new RSV4 today. Best thing I like about the bike is the up/down quick-shifter after spending years riding without one. Also impressed by the mechanical grip the bike has coming out of corners, rarely see the traction control light come on even with the front wheel skimming over the pavement still partially leaned over. It's been a good consolation bike since I wasn't able to source a new S1000RR to my spec this past summer.
View attachment 217766
I really enjoy/enjoyed the riding experience of my rsv4 rr, 😎
The best upgrade I felt was when I went with a set of forged wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Had my local dealer install my new SC Project SC1-R slip-on exhaust and Aprilia race ECU. They also ran the bike on their dyno in stock and modified set-up. Stock was 192 WHP and modified was 203 WHP, pretty good increase for not doing a custom tune. Rear tire was a Dunlop KR451 race slick (200/60/R17) that I've been using for track days this past summer.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Slope Triangle Font Parallel Pattern
Product Textile Rectangle Font Material property

·
9,135 Posts
Nice power!

What about torque? Are you finding RSV4 heavy? Nice to have a dealer nearby.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Nice power!

What about torque? Are you finding RSV4 heavy? Nice to have a dealer nearby.
Thanks.

They didn't tie into the bike's electronic system and were not able to reference engine RPMs (reason power curve references time on the x-axis) so no torque values are available. Dyno runs were free to me as my bike was the first 2021 they ran on their dyno and they were interested in what it would do, so no complaints on my end.

I recently weighed the bike (without mirrors and license plate holder, but with heavier race slicks) on two bathroom-type scales and it came in at about 439 lbs (tank not full, but could see gas about 1.5 inches below top of tank). Based on that I believe Aprilia's quoted curb weight of 445 lbs is fairly accurate. The RSV4 is slightly ligher than my base 2010 S1000RR so it doesn't feel heavy to me. I've sat on 2020/2021 S1000RRs and they do feel noticeably lighter off the kickstand. The RSV4 feels lighter on the track at corner turn-in and during quick side to side transitions than my old S1000RR. In a year or two I might get a set of forged aluminum wheels to make it easier switching from street to track setup. That would help some with weight too.

Thankful to have a dealer so close, would have waited for a S1000RR if the nearest Aprilia dealer was any significant distance away.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
wow....great to hear the updates on the new Aprilia!

unfortunately after I saw you last, I crashed pretty hard. I just started trying to pull together the parts to rebuild it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
wow....great to hear the updates on the new Aprilia!

unfortunately after I saw you last, I crashed pretty hard. I just started trying to pull together the parts to rebuild it.
Thanks, taking it out to The Ridge on Monday for my last track day of this year, OPRT is not doing the chicane so I'll get to let her rip down the front straight.

I watched the video of your crash, always wondered what it would be like to crash in that corner as I've felt some movement with the front & rear tires there a couple of times in the past, not a slow turn, glad you didn't get injured that bad. Hope you can get your bike running again for the 2022 track season, would be great to ride with you again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
After reading about S1K owners talking about traction control calibration, I remember that one of the nice features of the RSV4's electronics is a quick and easy way to calibrate the traction control system for tire size and gearing changes that can be done anywhere by the rider.

This cold and rainy weather in the PNW has me thinking of going down to California for the first time for a few winter time track days, the poor RSV4 has just been sitting in the garage for the most part lately other than some shorter local rides.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts