BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my 2010 S1000RR for a little over 10 years and 30K miles with 10 track day seasons. Never had any serious issues with the bike and ended up being a really reliable bike. Had the base model, no traction control, no ABS, no quick-shifter.

Been looking at the new S1000RRs for a little over a year, but after I sold my 2010 recently through a private party sale, there were no new S1000RRs available. One local dealer said I would need to put a $5K deposit down because I only wanted the Race package and nothing else and they said no one orders those so they didn't want to get stuck with it. No local dealers could tell me when a new batch of bikes would be available either.

Went to the local Aprilia dealer (20 minute drive from my house) to check out the 2021 RSV4s. Test rode a 2020 Factory version last year at a track day, but the ergonomics didn't feel right and I didn't enjoy the one riding session I did with it. Test rode the new revised 2021 Factory version recently and was surprised how close the ergonomics were to how I had my 2010 S1000RR set up. Didn't want the electronic suspension or high cost of the Factory version so I bought the base 2021 RSV4 model yesterday. The new bike feels really good with the limited street riding and I can really notice the extra 100ccs
IMG_20210605_155906108_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210605_165506029_HDR.jpg
on the low end and midrange (still early break-in so rev'd it up only to about 7.5K RPMs so far. Will be doing a track day tomorrow with the RSV4, was told there wouldn't be that many riders in my group so that should help with the continuing break-in process. Also, love the sound of the RSV4 engine better than the old S1000RR as well.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Nice bike, enjoy! I had a v4 Tuono so I know how you feel about that sound.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That V4 engine is awesome! I had a Tuono and it was bonkers. Scared me into getting back to BMW. I actually find the RSV4 easier to ride slow because of slightly lower torque at low RPMs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice bike, always liked the RSV4, I’m sure it will meet your expectations especially after the S1000RR set the bar so high.

·
8,310 Posts
Good choice going with base, you can always buy forged wheels.

Get a map & exhaust, RSV4 sounds brutal. You are lucky to have a dealership 20min from you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the ape. My friend is looking into finally buying another motorcycle after not having one for a few years. He's definitely looking into getting an older aprilia RSV4 RF most likely 17-19 MY. He likes the BMW and has ridden mine a few times but he wants something different and "rarer" seeing as how the BMW has become sort of a "me too" bike. He likes to be different lol. I'm curious if anyone here has had one and what are your thoughts on the RSV4s??

·
Registered
413 Posts
Get a map & exhaust...
I would advise against exhaust and remap unless the bike is primarily for track. At least until there are confirmed good maps. On the 17-20 Tuono, none of the available maps was particularly good at low speeds. And I've tried them all. Opening the exhaust emphasised the binary on/off throttle transitions. I had to spend a lot of time working on the torque maps to smooth the low RPM response.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
hmm, there's something about V4's... I had a '99 VFR, put 135000km on it, V4 plus gear driven cams sound awesome to me...

·
8,310 Posts
I would advice against exhaust and remap unless the bike is primarily for track.
Map & dyno tune would remove restrictions, have a nice linear power/torque curve.
Also it's prob not worth it for the street, but Aprilia sells race ECU that allows adjusting many settings. On the track it makes a huge difference for riders with pace.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Note: I am referring to 2018 which uses a different ECU, however the engine has not changed drastically. With this disclaimer, I don't think the RSV is restricted the way BMW is. I've ran my Tuono with Aprilia's race map (same as on their race ECU), Gabro, Brentuning, Open Flash, and a combination that I built from all those. I paid for all these tunes so I believe I am entitled to modify them for my needs, and before anyone asks, no, I am not going to offer them to anyone, free or for a price. The fueling and torque maps are the main areas of adjustment. While the fueling has been good on all, the torque maps (which tell how much torque you are asking of the motor at a given throttle position and RPM combination and control the ramp up and engine braking) were not really great. I studied the way the maps are built and could eventually produce my own torque maps with a gentle ramp up at low RPMs so I could ride on the street.

Hence my comment that I personally would wait to get feedback from users of tunes. Gabro apparently did a great job on 2016 models, but I looked at his map for 2018 and he did not touch the torque map at all. His tune used the Aprilia's, not that it is bad, but far from perfect for street use.

The 2021 has a new ECU so my argument here might as well be moot. And as I said, I actually preferred the RSV than the Tuono for city riding, because a little less torque at low RPMs made it easier to ride slow.

Another note: I am a one bike at a time man. My bikes are daily rides so my needs may be different from yours.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice bike, man, I saw your old s1k for sale on the local craigslist board, I thought you're going to have a bad time finding a new s1k around pnw, since there are none for sale last time I checked. Seattle dealer has a black one already pre-sold stuck in Germany. Did oprt give you a free track day together with the bike?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice bike, man, I saw your old s1k for sale on the local craigslist board, I thought you're going to have a bad time finding a new s1k around pnw, since there are none for sale last time I checked. Seattle dealer has a black one already pre-sold stuck in Germany. Did oprt give you a free track day together with the bike?
My old S1K sold quicker than I thought and I was worried I would miss out on the entire track day season waiting for a new S1K to be delivered. After test riding the 2021 RSV4 I had no complaints or reasons to wait so long for the S1K. I already had a free track day from OPRT based on my accumulated points from buying track days from them for the past 6 or 7 years so I never asked. Probably will see you at The Ridge sometime this summer and can show you the new bike in person. So nice having a bike with traction control and up/down quickshifter.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Probably will see you at The Ridge sometime this summer and can show you the new bike in person. So nice having a bike with traction control and up/down quickshifter.
On June 28, Aprilia Racer Day will take place at the Ridge. I went last year and quite liked it. OPRT is prepping the bikes. There is free lunch, free photos, one session on a new Aprilia bike of your choice, and some other goodies such as trying Dainese gear, discount coupons etc. For $250, it is a good deal. I am going again this year.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On June 28, Aprilia Racer Day will take place at the Ridge. I went last year and quite liked it. OPRT is prepping the bikes. There is free lunch, free photos, one session on a new Aprilia bike of your choice, and some other goodies such as trying Dainese gear, discount coupons etc. For $250, it is a good deal. I am going again this year.
I've heard about that event, price seems like a good deal. Would be interested in test riding the new 660 (either model). Need to see if I can get that day off from work.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've heard about that event, price seems like a good deal. Would be interested in test riding the new 660 (either model). Need to see if I can get that day off from work.
I signed up for a demo session on the RS660. Last year I took an RSV4; so fast! The track shrinks under that bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
AMAZING Choice @M-Coupe99 . Really like the RSVs

Reactions: M-Coupe99

·
Registered
314 Posts
Update, so my buddy missed out on the RSV4 RF, but ended up buying a basically brand new V2. 12 miles on the odometer. I was hoping he got the ape but maybe this was meant to be? We'll see how this V2 is. It's in my garage because he doesn't have room to store it. Gave me the green light to ride it so it's like I have a V2 lol! Anyhow, haven't really taken it out or gotten on it because it still has to be broken in but I did take it around the block and I must say... the quick shifter on this machine is like butter... I'm super jealous, it's so much smoother than my 16' S1KRR.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts