BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Rain YOU ARE Correct.. I looked at my owners manual its 34mm. I opened up my tool kit, which was at my house not my shop at the time. Heres some Pics. I did take it off with the 36mm wrench and it did not slip, BUT YES it is a 34mm NUT..
Thanks for sharing and setting us straight on what you used. The pictures were really helpful.

My original thought was that the bigger the nut size, the wider (longer) the flats get, and the ability of an oversized tool to work or not becomes less critical. In this case 34 vs 36 is just 6% over. As you have shown, with a two surface open face wrench, it's able to grip and not slip.

Others have said with a socket they had trouble. A 6-point socket might work, but I'll bet a 12-point socket would round off the corners pretty quickly with 65-70 ft/lb of force applied.

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Sorry for thread jacking but mx racer how do you like that tail tidy does it fit well? I have been considering one but have not seen it in person

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I like it alot, by hot bodies. Not 100% fit n finish, id say 96% sorry for no close up pics of it yet. Where the tail light fits is only held in with the 2 screws that come up from the bottom. the oem has 2 tabs that also fit it with the two screws. after market stuff is always a hair off from stock. But all in all i love it. the signals work great. I installed a smoke tail light (intergrated) but noy using the signals in it. Ialso ordered the oem tail plug so i would not have to cut the stock one up. I would buy again and do recommend it just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
These lightech adjusters any good? I`m sure i`ve read that you just turn and click them to adjust, do you still need to slacken the big nut first (nut on these look special) ..or is it preset ?

thanks
Yes you still need to loosen the axel nut before you can adjust them

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
34mm. Roger that.
HF and Sears did not have it. Will try an auto store tomorrow. Else, I'll order it online.
I checked loews and advance auto. they only had the long ones with 24 pt. I said eff that, I went home to order.
Where are you ordering from?
34 mm is not easy to find locally.
For those of you who have time to shop, I bought this socket from Sears on-line Part # 00994221000 - $12.99 -
NHT Axle Nut 1/2" Drive 34mm (Socket)
Did you see this part number? Order it on-line from Sears.
Almost nobody carries that particular size as a stock item.

And it's a 6-point socket. Much better for not damaging your nut.

Superhawk - 12-point and 24-point? Pfffft. Are you kidding me? That's an easy way to round off points. Don't do it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Thanks Rainman. I saw your post and was about to order but wanted to see if there were other places to order from.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
32 or 34mm axle nut?

My 2013 bike has a 34mm rear axle nut and the tool in the toolkit is 34mm. However the riders manual available on-line says 32mm. So they must have changed it somewhere along the line, so check your own bike to see what you have.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts