BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried doing a search on here and came up empty:( What size socket do i need to loosen the rear axle nut? the few large sockets i have did not work and my micrometer is at work? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lammiepie615, i tried a 36 and was to big then my next smallest was a 27. guess i need to go tool shopping before snap-on shows up next monday. :D Or atleast dont tell the misses im buying more tools.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
34 mm is not easy to find locally.
For those of you who have time to shop, I bought this socket from Sears on-line Part # 00994221000 - $12.99 -
NHT Axle Nut 1/2" Drive 34mm (Socket)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
34 mm is not easy to find locally.
For those of you who have time to shop, I bought this socket from Sears on-line Part # 00994221000 - $12.99 -
NHT Axle Nut 1/2" Drive 34mm (Socket)
The OEM Axle nut is 36mm, I just put lightech adjusters on Bike and replace the nut with a Gilles lock nut the size of the Gilles nut is 32mm.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
The OEM Axle nut is 36mm,
I beg to differ. I summize you put a sloppy 36mm socket on a 34mm nut.
Did it work for you? Must have. You got it off.

However, my rule is to use the proper tool. Do it right and get the proper socket.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It was a double sided Wrench One end was 34 (34 end was too small), the other was 36. Fit like a glove otherwise I would not have tried to take it off.
I have $60k in tools LOL

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Just went out to the garage, 34mm fits the OEM axle nut. 36mm fits a Busa axle nut and I do believe the S1Krr main steering head nut.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Perhaps different sized nuts on different production runs?
I'll put a micrometer on mine and post up tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I have $60k in tools LOL
No need to pull your tool out here for size comparisons Loomis, that means absolutely nothing.
However, I think the majority of owners here - (who perhaps have considerably less invested in tools) - think you may be wrong, and I'd hate to see some poor guy go out and buy a 36mm socket that will scar his nut.

I'm big enough to consider perhaps BMW has even changed axle nut sizes somewhere along the line though. For example, in the original English (country) owner's manual you can find on this site, it says the axle nut is 32mm. That isn't the one on my bike either.

So to help convince some USA guys who are still searching, here is a picture of my own USA manual - updated during the drop sensor recall era. My manual clearly says the tool included in the kit for a USA bike axle nut wrench is 34mm.

And here is a simple $5 tool I own that shows my OEM axle nut tool is NOT 36mm.

And here is another to show pretty decisive evidence it IS 34mm. Please note you can see the right side edge pretty well, so I'm not covering it up.

And, here is the tool on the nut, and it fits "like a glove".

FYI, the BMW part number stamped on this tool is: 7713583.
Maybe somebody wants to look that up on a parts microfiche online.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another reason i should have finished reading manual and open my tool kit before i ask dumb questions lol :) atleast i learned somthin today

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
To those who haven't made use of your manual,... you're welcome.

Like I say, there is a "sticky" in the General Discussion forumn titled "Owner's Manual" and there is a PDF manual you can download. It has a date of 2009 and is perhaps a draft of newer manuals. It's obviously a English version and not intended for USA models. On page 104 it shows the wrench size as 32mm.

Maybe some of you English/European guys can comment on what your owner's manual says and what is in your tool kit.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Weird, I looked at this Double sided Wrench I used to get the OEM Nut Off, One End is marked 32' and other is 36' It may be a 34' I have never seen a wrench come like that in size, the wrench may be miss marked. I'll take a pic later and upload the pic. I used a 32mm socket to put on the Gilles Nut. I'll also take a pic of the Nut with wrench size on it. My bike is a 2011, not sure if that makes a diffence.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Rain YOU ARE Correct.. I looked at my owners manual its 34mm. I opened up my tool kit, which was at my house not my shop at the time. Heres some Pics. I did take it off with the 36mm wrench and it did not slip, BUT YES it is a 34mm NUT..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts