BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm interested to hear if some of you are about the same size as me, and if so what size your leathers are.

I'm 6'2" 230 lbs / 188 cm 105 kg. Athletic build.

I purchased an Alpinestars Atem V3 in size 58 euro, per recommendation from the store owner after trying it on. It was a bit constricting when squatting and tucking (they had a bike in the store), but ok enough when standing up. Store owner assured me that it would stretch as it breaks in. After wearing it around the house I can squat to about parallel without lifting my heels, but it feels like it isn't "breaking in" much.

I'm now wondering if perhaps it will be too tight and uncomfortable for riding.

Any thoughts?

Edit: My previous leathers are Dainese Avro 2-piece in euro 56, that fit well, however I've experienced sizing to differ a lot between one and two piece suits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Alpinestars actually seem to be a good fit as they are equally tight everywhere. I think I may just have to go up one size.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, what I have now is a 58, but will leathers stretch in those areas where it is constricting? For me it feels tight along my back and backside area when trying to squat and tuck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sounds like you might be into custom / fitted territory (as opposed to something off the shelf). if you go with something larger, that can be altered to remove excess material. if it starts out too small, it probably won’t stretch much, and alternations to add material are harder (and more expensive).

I talked with a racer once who described a properly fitting suit (comfortable, not tight anywhere) as being worth 1.5 ~ 2 seconds on his local track.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My RS Taichi stretched out especially when I rode in hot weather. Unfortunately, waiting till then likely voids any chance of return so it'd be a gamble. I've always preferred a tight fit while I know others like it looser so its a bit hard to offer feedback. I started with a looser suit and found after a season that it wasn't for me and so changed it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. There's no slack in the buttocks when standing straight so I'm going to try going one size up. So many different opinions online. Some say they will stretch and some say they won't. 🤔

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm interested to hear if some of you are about the same size as me, and if so what size your leathers are.

I'm 6'2" 230 lbs / 188 cm 105 kg. Athletic build.

I purchased an Alpinestars Atem V3 in size 58 euro, per recommendation from the store owner after trying it on. It was a bit constricting when squatting and tucking (they had a bike in the store), but ok enough when standing up. Store owner assured me that it would stretch as it breaks in. After wearing it around the house I can squat to about parallel without lifting my heels, but it feels like it isn't "breaking in" much.

I'm now wondering if perhaps it will be too tight and uncomfortable for riding.

Any thoughts?

Edit: My previous leathers are Dainese Avro 2-piece in euro 56, that fit well, however I've experienced sizing to differ a lot between one and two piece suits.
they will stretch. You don’t want them loose.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Would you try a 2 piece? Much more comfortable for street. I have an alpine stars 2 piece and its a little loose but great for street, size 54.

Have a one piece for track size 54 and its race fit, probably similar fit as yours, in 2 track days its stretched a hair..

I'm 6'2" also just about but only 180-185

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went back to the store and talked to the other sales reps, and they agreed it was indeed too tight. I struggled to get into a tucked position, and felt like I had to fight the suit to move around. Definitely not enough material in the back, butt and hips. The suit was completely filled out in the rear when standing so no saggy butt to allow much room for crouching. On further reflection it was also slightly uncomfortable around my arms and thighs.

I'm till waiting for the larger size to arrive but I'm confident it will be a better fit.

I already have a 2-piece but want a 1-piece for safety reasons when on the track.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Which suit are you using? A diet wouldn't help me much. I would have to lose muscle to fit properly in a 58 in the Atem I returned 😕
I have a cheap but good Cortech, but also fit nicely into a 48 (US) AGVSport at CSS. I've tried others and generally fit pretty well - albeit with serious gyrating, jumping and twerking to get in and out - except for the Dianese, whose 58 is a bit too tight around chest, arms and legs.

I've been putting off buying a premium suit until I get more time into my Cortech and on the track. I'm also thinking about leaning out some (lose 20 lbs), which obviously helps on the track. People think I'm pretty lean and muscular now, but you can always get leaner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, if you're planning on losing 20 lbs there's no point in getting a new suit until your weight stabilizes. I'm at the point where I'm getting a bit faster around the track and I want to invest in some higher end gear, and at least replace the two piece with a one piece suit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Btw, I tried a Dainese Misano 2 in 60 which was fine around upper body, hips and thighs, but loose around the waist and knees. I want to try a 58 but the store didn't have one. I'm going to ask them if they can get hold of one for me to try on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts