BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today my morning ride took a very unpleasant turn today as my fairly new R broke down on the highway.

When i took off on to the highway, going WOT using the quickshifter through the gears (firm not sloppy) and when i shifted into 6th gear (no indication on screen that i was in 6th gear), it stayed there for about 2 seconds until it suddenly just shot out of gear at 220kmph.

After that happened i immediately had very little to almost no tension in the clutch lever anymore. That, paired with a lot of scary grinding noises that i could hear and feel coming from the transmission.

I could not get it into any gear, so i was stuck between 5th and 6th while i was making my way to the side of the highway. So i turned the engine off before coming to a complete standstill.

The first thing i checked was the clutch cable to see if it snapped off, but that wasn't the problem. Somehow i was able to go through all the gears when the engine wasn't running, but could not when i started the engine again.

Knowing i could not drive this one off, i called bmw assistance and i got my bike towed to my dealer. The mechanic had no idea yet what it could possible be until he cracks the clutch and transmission cover open.

And as for a temporarily replacement they gave me a GS 310...

So yeah... thought i'd share my crappy day with y'all.

[BMW S1000R 1 month old, 3400kms]

I'm also asking if anyone of you have any idea what might be the problem?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
The would be a definitely scary thing to happen at speed! I hope they sort this out quickly. Keep us posted what they say is the issue. Hopefully your day gets better!

·
Premium Member
278 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

I've got a update for y'all.

In the downtime my dealer was kind enough to lend me my RR back that i traded in but wasn't set up for sale yet until my R was fixed. kudos for that.

So i was able to pickup my bike today from the dealer since they found the issue and fixed it under warranty.

Turns out it was a clutch related issue.

https://imgur.com/a/Z3rwUD4

In the first picture shown, the bearing somehow moved on the axle towards the upper ring causing it to be dome shaped. And as you can see there are gaps between the two parts not making a flat contact.

The mechanic told me as a result of this, it also moved the entire clutch assembly by a few millimeters causing the loss of tension in the clutch lever.

Upon further investigation he found out the clutch drum has gotten a beating as well. In the 4th picture you can see embedding from the clutch plates transferred into the clutch drum, but only partially circumference.

So to be sure and to have no issues in the future they replaced the entire clutch assembly.

In the 5th and 6th picture, part number 9 the sprocket that drives the oil pump if i'm not mistaken is also replaced as this was also damaged on the show position.

And finally the countershaft bearing has also been replaced after the clutch replacement, because it still wasn't shifting properly when they did a test ride.

Between these repairs they dropped the oil two times to check for any metal shavings that might have been caused of the damaged parts. Luckily nothing was found onto the magnet of the drain plug.

So i got to ride the bike myself today and it seems like it shifts better then before for my initial impression. Will do some more riding tomorrow.

p.s. I did forgot to say in my first post that a week before it happened i replaced the oil and oil filter after taking it to the track. However i had no issues on track itself whatsoever. But then again, i never used 5th and 6th gear there... I did however always had a feeling that it didn't wanted to shift properly into 5th and 6th gear since i got the bike from new in comparison with the bike that i did a test ride with. I thought over time it would gradually improve as the bike gets more kilometers on the clock. It wasn't really that bad to get it checked out, but never thought it would have this serious consequences.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Glad to hear it’s been resolved! Also awesome that you got your old bike back while the new one was in for repairs! Thanks for posting up the pictures and write up about the repair.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Glad to hear it’s been resolved! Also awesome that you got your old bike back while the new one was in for repairs! Thanks for posting up the pictures and write up about the repair.
Agreed. Great write-up and pics. Glad you got a positive resolution. Enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All i can say is i'm very disappointed if this is suppose to be BMW quality...

Now this? come on... :eek:

https://youtu.be/Iv-OzBcgCec

Guess i'll have to wait for the tow truck, again.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
All i can say is i'm very disappointed if this is suppose to be BMW quality...

Now this? come on... :eek:

https://youtu.be/Iv-OzBcgCec

Guess i'll have to wait for the tow truck, again.
Well that blows goats. I hope they resolve this quickly and get you riding again

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little update for ya,

Got the bike back again, turns out this is a known problem for BMW affecting the R and XR in rare cases. (lucky me)

This problem can occur after a ride and the bike has cooled down between 60° and 70°. Somehow the heat causes the fuel pressure to be higher then normal, therefore causing the fuel injectors not to open when to starting the bike.

They replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines with i'm guessing newer updated ones since it is a known problem. And now the bike fires up with no hesitation when i try to duplicate the problem, so all is good for now.

Aaaand my fork seal had to be replaced as well because it was leaking a tiny bit... (No i'm not constantly wheelieing)

At this rate i'll have a brand new bike when it's 2020 :eek:

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Glad you got your bike back, are you going to miss your RR now that you've had to give it back a second time?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad you got your bike back, are you going to miss your RR now that you've had to give it back a second time?
In all honestly it didn't do that much to me driving it, and bringing it back again. Having ridden the bike for 2,5 years, i learned a lot on track and made me an overall better rider in general. But it was time to move on, and with that being said, i'm glad i tried the supersport type bike. Yeah sure having that top end rush is exciting, but i can't really use it that much on the street anyway where most of my driving happens. Plus the suspension can be a bit too hard for the roads here in Belgium. Maybe in the future when i'm older and divorced i might buy one again. :)

So the R fits me perfectly and i feel more comfortable driving it on track. My track times prove me this, i even jumped to a higher group.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Btw, i have a question about one of the forks they replaced the fork seal on. Me being the OCD fella spotted that the height between the rings do not properly match when comparing the two forks.

Can i untighten the bolts of the fork triple clamp and adjust it whiteout screwing up any of the alignment?

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
If you take the weight off the front wheel by using a strap to suspend the bike by the front triple then you can adjust the fork height quite easily without removing the front wheel.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just put a jack under the headers ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts