BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here are some photos of our sf1000rr-evo bike (street fighter) along with some new ideas we are working on. the basis for this project was to build a naked version of bmw's superbike. it had to retain all of the performance of the original but make for a more comfortable riding position. i've found that i prefer a more upright bike because i feel much more in control and can make the bike perform better.

anyway, this build was not to be the typical "project bike" were someone just bolts on a bunch of parts out of a cataloge. we wanted to showcase our abilities to modify a bike into a true one-off using our rapid prototyping design, cnc machining and other metal forming capabilities. almost none of the modifications on this bike came from an off-the-shelf package but were custom built specifically to enhance the appearance or performance. in fact, some of the better modifications can't even be seen (front fork internals, rear shock, digital h.i.d. kit, etc.).

here are a couple shots showing the bike as it is today:

here is a shot showing the billet triple clamp that mounts the handlebars and scotts steering damper:

here is the quick turn billet knob we made for the back cover:

our license plate relocator kit:

this is a prototype of our new adjustable footpeg relocator kit:

this is a prototype of our new adjustable billet kickstand:

here are the billet conversion buttons we machined to mount braking wave rotors on the stock wheels:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am very interested in this. Do you have more details and pics. How do they perform?

N.
what info do you need? the design of the billet "buttons" allow you to properly center the rotors in the caliper. they also are a full floating design to help prevent "pulsing" even with a slightly warped rotor.

the rotors themselves are from braking of italy - we've used these rotors for years on the bmw k-bikes & hp2 sport. they are stainless steel with an o.d. of 320mm and a thickness of 4.6mm.

the biggest issue we have with them is keeping them in stock (we are usually sold out when each shipment of rotors arrive).

·
R.I.P., you will be missed but never forgotten...
2,016 Posts
what info do you need? the design of the billet "buttons" allow you to properly center the rotors in the caliper. they also are a full floating design to help prevent "pulsing" even with a slightly warped rotor.
Yes. I would have thought that the braking rotors would simply bolt on (so perhaps a little info on why they need to be located differently to the stock rotors). Also I would how they perform versus the stock ones.

N.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I would have thought that the braking rotors would simply bolt on (so perhaps a little info on why they need to be located differently to the stock rotors). Also I would how they perform versus the stock ones.

N.
several years ago bmw changed the mounting of the stock rotors. before there were seperate buttons but now they are riveted to the rotor. these means that you can only use the stock bmw rotors since they discontinued the seperate buttons. in fact, if you have to replace a rotor on an earlier k-bike you need to buy the bmw parts to install the new rotors.

all we've done is machine new buttons and shims so standard aftermarket rotors can bolt up to the new wheels. once the aftermarket makes new style rotors then they will just bolt up - until then, we have a solution.

as to performance, i like the feel better (but that could also be due to old rotors vs. new). i can tell you that the stock rotors seem to glaze up faster than the braking rotors.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Very nice Ken!!

Some cool simple ideas, like the rearset relocators. The rear seat cowl twist lock is a good idea, not so sure about the way it sticks up but a great idea none the less.

Any idea on a shipping date for your plate relocator?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interested in your license plate relocator. Can you PM me price with shipping to San Diego? Thanks.
here is a special web page just for s1000rrforum.com members with the discounted pre-order price.

click here: s1000rr plate relocator

the kits are almost finished with just one last bracket to be made and anodized. i hope within the next 2-3 weeks we will be shipping.

·
Registered
593 Posts
going naked...?

I can't see any of the images - but I just crashed my S1K and am considering making a naked out of it, so I'm interested in knowing if you can help, or have any parts that my make the job easier.
thx

here are some photos of our sf1000rr-evo bike (street fighter) along with some new ideas we are working on. the basis for this project was to build a naked version of bmw's superbike. it had to retain all of the performance of the original but make for a more comfortable riding position. i've found that i prefer a more upright bike because i feel much more in control and can make the bike perform better.

anyway, this build was not to be the typical "project bike" were someone just bolts on a bunch of parts out of a cataloge. we wanted to showcase our abilities to modify a bike into a true one-off using our rapid prototyping design, cnc machining and other metal forming capabilities. almost none of the modifications on this bike came from an off-the-shelf package but were custom built specifically to enhance the appearance or performance. in fact, some of the better modifications can't even be seen (front fork internals, rear shock, digital h.i.d. kit, etc.).

here are a couple shots showing the bike as it is today:

here is a shot showing the billet triple clamp that mounts the handlebars and scotts steering damper:

here is the quick turn billet knob we made for the back cover:

our license plate relocator kit:

this is a prototype of our new adjustable footpeg relocator kit:

this is a prototype of our new adjustable billet kickstand:

here are the billet conversion buttons we machined to mount braking wave rotors on the stock wheels:

·
Premium Member
January 2022 BOTM Winner
679 Posts
I can't see any of the images - but I just crashed my S1K and am considering making a naked out of it, so I'm interested in knowing if you can help, or have any parts that my make the job easier.
thx
thats because the post before yours was from 2010. looks like evolutionize went out of business or something, their website is gone.

what help do you need streetfightering a bike? take the plastics off and get creative - thats all there is to it. forget copying other people.

·
Registered
593 Posts
thats because the post before yours was from 2010. looks like evolutionize went out of business or something, their website is gone.

what help do you need streetfightering a bike? take the plastics off and get creative - thats all there is to it. forget copying other people.
Most nakeds aren't totally naked. If you just remove the fairings, then it really looks ugly (coolant sticking way out in front, messy cables, wires, and tubes hanging down low, etc). you need some fairings to cover these pieces. I don't have any equipment for "shaping" fairings, so I was hoping I could get a few pieces from someone who has made a kit.

however I really like the S1K OEM lights look, and want to keep that. I *really* don't like the wunderlich box headlight. So as I rebuild my crashed S1K (low side at track, and the bike flipped upon hitting the dirt), I'm looking for pragmatic ways to get parts to make a naked without requiring too much "creativity" (which translates into tools, and more importantly skill, which I don't think I possess!).

any suggestions?
TIA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.