BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2015 S1000RR track only bike and I was wondering if I should shorten the interval for the major service at 30k km.

·
Vendor
3,376 Posts
I would. I have a 2015 I bought brand new that I put 24000 hard miles on it that was heavy on track days and competitive racing. The engine was ticking alot compared to new. Most would think it was a shim adjustment, but, the 15/16 have exhibited too many timing chain issues. At 24000 miles I removed the engine and pulled the timing chain. The chain was done. It had stretched so bad it was hitting the cases in the lower gear area. The shims were still spot on with no required adjustment. I replaced the timing chain and ran the shims again and still spot on in reassembly. The engine was so quiet on start up it was better than new sounding. Throttle response even felt more crisp. Hope that helps in your decision.

You can check the engine cases at the lower gear. Remove the right side gear cover and shine a light into the cases and chain area. It will be really shiny and look like a chain is slapping the case if you have a stretched chain issue.

Reactions: bennymx

·
5,009 Posts
Yes, if it's a track only bike, ridden hard. I would at least cut the service interval by half. Check valves and time chain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fast group, stock gears, shorter final gearing dependent on track, bike did 2015 in European Superstock championship (WSB Europe rounds...not me ;) )
RPM range - track...slow corners 6-9k, redline everywhere else.
Oil changes - every 10h use, clean/lube chain daily, clean bike by hand checking for wear and leaks daily, suspension rebuild annualy, plugs/oil filter/brake fluid 2x season, pads when needed etc etc etc...all the stuff i can do without openning the engine is done by me meticulously...this thread is mostly for the big service (valves, timing chain etc) on the engine scheduled at 18k miles (30k km)

I think i made the decision to do it around every 10k (bike is at 11,500 now so it is due) ;) She goes in to the shop in 2 weeks and back on-track March 5th...woohoo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2.5k km by him. defective engine - replaced under warranty.
1k km on dyno for break in and then to me...

I forgot about those km that I don't need to count... ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
2.5k km by him. defective engine - replaced under warranty.
1k km on dyno for break in and then to me...

I forgot about those km that I don't need to count... ;)
11.5k with the new engine?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts