BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 RR and this is what the cowl I have looks like

Removing pieces

How can i pop out the tumbler / cylinder thing? Trying to install the passenger seat

Here's a passenger seat I bought

And the thing pops out unlike the cowl

I'm stuck with this. It doesn't look interchangeable at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,717 Posts
The lock cylinder comes out. See that little silver tab poking out. That is the locking tab to stop the cylinder pulling out when you remove the key. Get a small flat blade screw driver or a pick and push the tab inwards while pushing on the bottom of the lock. It will come out. But be very careful when you remove the lock cylinder has all the tumblers will fall out. My suggestion is put the key into the lock and make sure its seated all the way. Then flip the cover over and push that little silver locking tab inwards while pushing on the bottom of the lock with your thumb or finger. The lock should slide out with the key still in it. Then when you put it in the seat make sure you leave the key in at all times or you will lose the spirngs and tumblers every where. Just slide it down into the seat all the way. Make sure its lined up correctly by checking on the cylinder there is a raised up section. That lines up in the seat with the lower or removed cut out section. Then push it all the way in and remove the key. The lock should stay in the seat. If it comes back out then the locking tab is not springing out on the under side. You will know becuase the key will come out and the lock will stay in. You can also check underneath to see if the locking tab has sprung out.

You should go to your dealer and by a second coded lock barrel. Then you don't have to take the damn cylinder out every time. That's what I did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i know i’m a few years late but just picked up a 2016 with a 1000 miles on it and i’m having the same problem can’t figure out how to get it out did his solution work for you?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts

·
Vendor
3,626 Posts
Hi i know i’m a few years late but just picked up a 2016 with a 1000 miles on it and i’m having the same problem can’t figure out how to get it out did his solution work for you?
I can provide an additional cylinder coded to your key. All I need is a picture of your key and I can code my seat / cowl cylinder and you have one for each with no transfer need.

·
Registered
2016 S1000RR
67 Posts
I can provide an additional cylinder coded to your key. All I need is a picture of your key and I can code my seat / cowl cylinder and you have one for each with no transfer need.
Hey I am interested in this so I can switch back to a passenger seat if ever needed. How much to code a cylinder to my key?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts