BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this picture on blogspot, it says its a studymodel for the 600 supersport class, only problem, i dont see any front fearings or backbridge, looks like a cardan machine... Anybody got some info about 600 cc bmw s???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
that's been floating around for more than a year. BMW tested a hub-steering prototype of unknown displacement last year, but no plans exist to enter the supersport class.

·
Registered
68 Posts
that's been floating around for more than a year. BMW tested a hub-steering prototype of unknown displacement last year, but no plans exist to enter the supersport class.
Aye, as Toby says it's been around for quite a while.

As for the front end, it's hub-centric steering. It's actually a superior technology to conventional forks in theory, but no one has been able to truly perfect it yet. In concept, it completely eliminates front end dive, separating braking from all suspension. This would allow for MUCH later braking into corners and more available suspension travel for the corner.

Whenever the S600RR comes out, I'm sure it will be conventional in design but not motor, just like the S1KRR

·
R.I.P., you will be missed but never forgotten...
2,016 Posts
There will be no 600. According to BMW it costs the same to design/make as the 1000, but the sales numbers are far lower than the 1000, meaning there is no business case for the bike. von Kuenheim confirmed there will not be a 600 in an interview with the German mag Motorrad. That means there are no plans, period!!

N.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
There will be no 600. According to BMW it costs the same to design/make as the 1000, but the sales numbers are far lower than the 1000, meaning there is no business case for the bike. von Kuenheim confirmed there will not be a 600 in an interview with the German mag Motorrad. That means there are no plans, period!!

N.
Plus, the price premium for a 600 would push the bike into 12K to 13K range, and who's going to by a 12k 600 when for the same price you can get a 1000's.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As for the front end, it's hub-centric steering. It's actually a superior technology to conventional forks in theory, but no one has been able to truly perfect it yet. In concept, it completely eliminates front end dive, separating braking from all suspension.
Explain more on this please. This piques my interest.

Also, as I understand your quote, the bike will not dive at all when braking? I don't see how that's possible unless the suspension doesn't exist, meaning it's just a solid fused front end that doesn't compress for anything. Like a Hard Tail, but regarding the front instead of rear.

Aside from making a suspension that locks in place under braking, I can't think of any sort of suspension (car or bike) that can negate weight shift under braking but still continue to function as normal suspension should. Eh, maybe if you play with roll center and center of gravity. But I'm not quite getting there on a bike.

I get up in 4 hours, so this is kind of late for me, and tomorrow is my Friday after 6 days, so I'm pretty worn down. If it's an obvious answer that I'm overlooking, these are my pre-made excuses. :D

·
Banned
164 Posts
According to the MCIA (motorcycle industry association) Superbike sales/registrations in the UK have been plummeting since 2001 with a massive drop of 42% to date

In the first quarter of this year supersports registrations are down 34% on this time last year and the market as a whole is 20% down.

The whole industry is in decline currently but supersports more than anything and people are moving away from all out superbikes to bikes that can do a bit of everything. BMW R1200GS, Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Tiger etc even so the best selling large capacity bikes are the 600cc class but not so much ZX6R, R6 etc, more things like ER-6 middleweight sport/commuter bikes

I would be surprised if Yamaha even bother changing the R1 this year or next, they have lost over £1.5 billion last year alone and judging from what the experts are saying in the industry talking to Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc Supersports are not a priority any longer. Yamaha are even going down the route of small scooters and researching electric PTW's (powered two wheelers) as this market is growing in countries where the economy is getting stronger China, India etc

These economies are building while the west is declining due to everybody jumping on the cheap is best theory of business and buying/manufacturing all their parts in the east.

The west has actually brought this decline on themselves and the east are not interested in supersports so the manufacturers will concentrate there business to the areas that they will make the most money (how many scooters do you see when you watch tv about India, china etc)

The only reason the figures for the first quarter registrations of supersports isnt even worse is because of the S1000RR launch, 43% of all sales in the first quarter were S1000RR (380 in the UK) in the over 1000cc class, so over the next few months as the hype dies down the supersports class will again show a massive decline.

You will see the price of all bikes rise over the next few years and this will again stunt the growth of the supersports class, when a company like Yamaha have to dig there way out of a £1.5 billion hole they will not be concentrating there efforts on a small selling percentage of the market that the supersport class is.

The YZF R1 cross plane crank maybe the last real step forward for Yamaha for quite a while, i would not be surprised if they even consider getting out of the Supersports race altogether to concentrate on making money in a less prestigous way (small scooters with batteries for engines)

·
Registered
112 Posts
From a marketing perspective even if they did have that technology they wouldnt bring it out right now. They would wait to entice their loyal fan base say 2 or three years from now.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Exactly, but to develop new technology takes money and i think Yamaha may have spent there last yen developing the cross plane crank, i personally dont think it had so much of huge effect on Yamaha sales and with the introduction of the S1000RR and the RSV4 it pretty much killed its hype off within 1 year.

Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha now have nothing new to entice people to buy there supersports bikes. Development is so hard now that even to shave an extra 1kg off or get a few extra bhp (Yamaha need more than a few) takes millions in research and development.

I really think they the Japanese have hit a brick wall and will follow the route that is profitable over kudos.

The time has come for European superbikes to reign supreme as they are now in the budget of most bikers, no one will be spending 12.5k on a japanese bike when euro bikes are the same price

·
Banned
164 Posts
MCN in the UK have a little report from BMW stating they wont make a 600cc version as it is as expensive to develop a 600 or a 1000 and the retail price is less so longer top recoup the money back

·
Registered
466 Posts
S675RR......triple

N.
You're right Nigel....it'll be a 675!!!;)

I understand and agree with BMW's arguments NOT it build it....but I still don't believe them....those Germans are sneaky lil' bastards!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts