BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW S1000RR M Package
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Looking for a bit of advice.

I bought SC Project’s SC1-R full titanium system from @MotoMillion and installed it a few weeks ago. I have an issue that while small, is bothering the hell out of me. At the header studs, where the flanges meet the runners (or bushings) on each cylinder, I have about a 2mm gap between the stud and the flanges (all four of em). I torqued each bolt to OEM specs, and everything is flush (headers into to the manifold as far in as they will go, bushings verified flush against the exhaust header gaskets, etc) and still this gap exists. The flange bolts are all tight (to the point where the flanges are starting to bend a bit), so tightening them anymore to get rid of the gap is not the right option. I ran the bike after the install and there appears to be no exhaust leaks. Additionally, there is no “domino affect” mis-alignment down the rest of the system which, I would assume would exist if this gap is caused by the headers not being properly seated all the way in. In other words, if they weren’t all the way in, I would think I would see that gap cascade down to the mid-pipe, muffler, etc., which is not the case.

Has anyone had or seen a similar issue? I’m still waiting on word back from Mani at @MottoMillion who reached out to SC Projects for me about a week and a half ago. I also reached out to them directly on their site, but I’ve heard nothing back. Pics below for reference.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 S1000rr
124 Posts
Normal fit for any headers I've installed on bikes. Did you get new manifold gaskets or reuse the old ones?

Reactions: Boricuoso787

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Bike only had about 1200 miles on it, but I installed new gaskets anyway.
Interesting. I would think the kit would come with some sort of spacers to account for that gap since most these kits are bike specific. Just seems a little weird to me. I’ve asked a bunch of folks and I swear I’m getting 50/50 “it’s normal” vs “that shouldn’t be there” responses. I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the response. Bike only had about 1200 miles on it, but I installed new gaskets anyway.
Interesting. I would think the kit would come with some sort of spacers to account for that gap since most these kits are bike specific. Just seems a little weird to me. I’ve asked a bunch of folks and I swear I’m getting 50/50 “it’s normal” vs “that shouldn’t be there” responses. I appreciate the reply.
My experience when I installed my austin racing headers was that I was able to finally get everything flat & flush, but it was tough (and probably past the torque specs). As you were inclined to think, once you're bending the studs, you're putting too much sideways torque on them. That being said, I noticed I was starting to bend the last stud trying to get that very last little bit of flushness so I stopped there. It's not worth risking snapping a stud at that point. The only tips/advice I can offer is:
-make sure you're not crossthreaded (you probably aren't, but just be wary of this)
-make sure you're torquing down in an even fashion (even amount per side as you go)
-if you can, I would also disconnect those springs at the bottom while you're torquing to avoid any extra stress on the studs while you're torquing
-last thing, and probably the most potentially helpful here, try & use a ratcheting cordless wrench. This would allow you to torque the nut down without putting all that bending force on the stud

Just my .02. At the end of the day if you can't get them flush, you're probably honestly fine to run like that, I would just make it a habit to check the exhaust nuts like once a month and make sure they're not backing out at all. Retorque as necessary. Good luck & enjoy the flames!

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
598 Posts
Are you seeing scorching or soot around the gap? Hearing an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you seeing scorching or soot around the gap? Hearing an exhaust leak?
I really haven’t ridden more than about 20 minutes since the install (to test the BT Moto Stage 2 flash, and to “break-in” the exhaust a bit). But no, no exhaust leaks heard or any scorch/soot marks visible at the manifold/headers. I’ve been hesitant to ride until I feel a bit more comfortable that “it’s alright” to do so with those gaps. Again, the headers are sure as hell flush, and all four bushings are seated and mated flat against the new gaskets - they aint going in any further. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
598 Posts
Forgot to ask.. is your system the 3900$ system i saw on motomillion? If so im crazy jealous.
I'd ride it then mang. If you're not seeing what I mentioned before. Good to go man. Should be at least.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to ask.. is your system the 3900$ system i saw on motomillion? If so im crazy jealous.
I'd ride it then mang. If you're not seeing what I mentioned before. Good to go man. Should be at least.
It is. I waited what seemed like forever to get it. They’re made to order, which I can understand given the price point. To just have a stock of them waiting on a shelf somewhere for people to buy, I understand, is a gamble. But it finally arrived just before Christmas (after about 10 weeks), and I’m very lucky and humbled to have it. Now I just gotta get around this gap issue!! Thanks for chiming in. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ride it, I don’t think it’s an issue at all. I’d rather a gap at the mounting bolts than they bottom out. I believe this insures you have a good seal at the port. DO NOT TIGHTEN them anymore or you’ll end up like the other person that previously chimed in with bent studs. They DO NOT need to be flush and over tightening them while cool in an attempt to force them flush will only yield a potential issue once those headers heat up and the metal expands. Ride it, it looks great to me, you installed it to spec and didn’t over torque which is good.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lol, "bent studS". Contrary to the above post, I would still try & get them just a little closer to flush, but definitely not flat, with a right-angle impact (on a light torque setting, of course). That way you're not risking bending studs or breaking anything, but still ensuring they seat properly to form complete seal. The nuts can actually back out slightly as it goes through the first few heat cycles after the install, which is why you're supposed to run it a few times & then check & retorque as required, before finally putting everything back together for good.. So you actually want the nuts & flanges further down than not right now to account for that. Ensuring that the gaskets get compressed to form a lasting seal is the important part now. It'd be a pain in the ass to get the radiator all hooked back up & everything back together, only to find out later that you have an exhaust leak. Do it once the right way, is my point of view.

Snapped some quick pics of mine through the fairing for comparison, and while it looks like your studs are longer, there's definitely still a bit more room to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey everyone. Looking for a bit of advice.

I bought SC Project’s SC1-R full titanium system from @MotoMillion and installed it a few weeks ago. I have an issue that while small, is bothering the hell out of me. At the header studs, where the flanges meet the runners (or bushings) on each cylinder, I have about a 2mm gap between the stud and the flanges (all four of em). I torqued each bolt to OEM specs, and everything is flush (headers into to the manifold as far in as they will go, bushings verified flush against the exhaust header gaskets, etc) and still this gap exists. The flange bolts are all tight (to the point where the flanges are starting to bend a bit), so tightening them anymore to get rid of the gap is not the right option. I ran the bike after the install and there appears to be no exhaust leaks. Additionally, there is no “domino affect” mis-alignment down the rest of the system which, I would assume would exist if this gap is caused by the headers not being properly seated all the way in. In other words, if they weren’t all the way in, I would think I would see that gap cascade down to the mid-pipe, muffler, etc., which is not the case.

Has anyone had or seen a similar issue? I’m still waiting on word back from Mani at @MottoMillion who reached out to SC Projects for me about a week and a half ago. I also reached out to them directly on their site, but I’ve heard nothing back. Pics below for reference.

Thanks in advance for your time.
View attachment 220546
Update: SC Project headquarters reached back out to me. An excerpt from their response attached below, in addition to a picture of their bike and how final install looks. Turns out it is normal and by design. I got the peace of mind I needed from you guys as well as direct from the source.

I appreciate everyone’s time and replies. It is much appreciated!

Font Terrestrial plant Slope Event Rectangle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
22' S1000RR
34 Posts
By chance do you have any videos of your bike exhaust sound?
Currently have the slip on SC1-R, and was thinking of making the jump to the full exhaust.

I reached out to SC's USA email, just waiting to hear back if they sell the exhaust/ headers without the muffler as I already have that of course.

Thanks man!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.