BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a real-time gps tracker that works with satellite only and not 4g or 3g. I do a lot of canyon riding, mountain roads and off-road. Need a tracker just in case something happens and no cell service is available.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
142 Posts
Does anyone know of a real-time gps tracker that works with satellite only and not 4g or 3g. I do a lot of canyon riding, mountain roads and off-road. Need a tracker just in case something happens and no cell service is available.
Quick research shows me this:

"You might try an iPhone GPS application, many of which seem to 'force' the GPS chip (and drain the battery)." Rever and Calimoto are a couple of apps I have found helpful. Not sure if they avoid cell tower assist, but I have been in some pretty remote areas (on road and off road) and Rever has been able to keep tracking me.

Here is another quote I found: "You can use Google Maps in offline mode for the GPS part of the question but you won't get the live traffic updates. You can navigate on any part of the map that you've previously downloaded to your iPhone and it will track your location using the GPS chip."

I am not sure if Google maps has a tracking function.

Finally, there is the Garmin InReach, which will track you. It is subscription based, which you can turn off and on on a per month basis. It can be configured to connect to phone via bluetooth which gives you increased functionality. It is really meant to be used in case of emergencies, but I find it quite useful for tracking purposes only.

Not sure if this is the kind of information you were seeking, but I hope it helps you out. My $0.02 worth, ymmv.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick research shows me this:
Thanks for the info! A lot of places I ride, there is no cell coverage and my purpose is to be tracked in case something happens. I’ll look into the apps you mentioned, they may give me what I need.

·
5,004 Posts
Your phone on google maps, download offline map, no need for cell coverage.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Everyone seems to misunderstand what the OP is seeking. He wants a satellite phone with GPS that will track his position when he is far off the grid, has a crash or other emergency, and needs to call for help or be automatically located.

A quick search found this, which seems about right assuming I understand the request:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A quick search found this, which seems about right assuming I understand the request:

Thank you, looked into it. Seems like a good option for my purpose.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just search for "satellite asset tracker". I've used SPOT many years ago and it was alright
Spot is a good option as well and has a few different products that fit especially the phone product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts