BMW S1000RR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Of all the users on the this forum, there was around a dozen+ that reported an issue (somebody went through the posts and counted but I do not remember the number). This does not make it any less real for those who feel they have an issue, but it is not prevalent.

We never determined what is different about the bikes that veer.

Interestingly, some report all bikes they have owned, regardless of brand or model, veer. Others, like me, have never had an issue with any bike I have owned or ridden.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Yay I love this thread.

I went through 3 mufflers, 2 forged rims, and had to re-align the front forks twice. Current setup hardly veers at all, where it had always previously been an issue. I'm on the lightest exhaust of the 4 that I've had. Veering is just something that should be expected from these bikes and you are probably best not to look into it. It's a combination of things.

In my case, it looks like it's caused by both the heavier exhaust and alignment on the front forks. As-in the triple and front wheel may not be aligned 100%.

I used to care about the issue the first year I had it, now I don't because I mostly ride track and it was never noticeable unless I was "no-hands".

·
Registered
236 Posts
Of all the users on the this forum, there was around a dozen+ that reported an issue (somebody went through the posts and counted but I do not remember the number). This does not make it any less real for those who feel they have an issue, but it is not prevalent.

We never determined what is different about the bikes that veer.

Interestingly, some report all bikes they have owned, regardless of brand or model, veer. Others, like me, have never had an issue with any bike I have owned or ridden.
Maybe not all reported it here like me, mine veers too! Only bike Ive ever owned that veered and Ive had many bikes, Kawis, Hondas, Yamahas

·
Registered
719 Posts
Have a look at the counter steer explanation in YouTube. You cannot make a motorcycle turn by moving your butt.

It suggest you looking into this as it will make you turn better and it will make you feel safer.
turning is not the same as veering.
try sitting on one side of any motorcycle and it will veer. its more noticeable using cruise control. have you ever ridden a pushbike with no hands and used your bodyweight to lean it from side to side? same concept.

20 Posts
turning is not the same as veering.
try sitting on one side of any motorcycle and it will veer. its more noticeable using cruise control. have you ever ridden a pushbike with no hands and used your bodyweight to lean it from side to side? same concept.
How are you comparing a bicycle that weights nothing with a 200k motorcycle which stands on its own by centrifugal force.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Forgive me but I'm too lazy to read through the entire 10 pages before responding.

I just got home a couple weeks ago from a 8400km trip riding to Colorado, around the the state, and then home to north of Toronto. BMW of Denver installed my new tires I had shipped down so I assume they installed the rear axle correctly and also I have 4Racing chain adjusters that allow extremely accurate adjustments of the chain on both sides ensuring correct rear wheel alignment.

I on MANY occasions esp in Nebraska had CC on and both hands off the bars tucked into the back of my boots. For 20-30 mile stretches of interstate I would merely steer with my knees to navigate minor corners and pass trucks or cars who likely wondered how the hell was that guy passing me without any control of the bike. I only ever had "veering" issues if the wind kicked up a bit or I leaned my body in certain ways that would create drag to one side or the other. I actually a few times steered the bike by putting one arm out to create drag and cause the bike to veer to that direction. Maybe they corrected this issue people are complaining about on the 2018 model? I do have the akra shorty titanium slip on installed which is a significant weight change from the stock can. I actually thought the box was empty before opening it to find a feather light slip on inside.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I do have the akra shorty titanium slip on installed which is a significant weight change from the stock can. I actually thought the box was empty before opening it to find a feather light slip on inside.
I've got the shorty, also. It's about 7 pounds lighter than stock. That is a HUGE difference. If you ride on CC with hands off, you know that by leaning your weight to one side or the other, you can make the bike veer in that direction. So...logically...altering the bike's weight distribution by removing 7 pounds from the right side really does reduce/eliminate any tendency to veer in that direction.

I suspect those who have the stock muffler and say their bikes don't veer are actually riding bikes with inaccurate alignment or other anomaly such that the bike will go straight, but for the wrong reasons.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I've got the shorty, also. It's about 7 pounds lighter than stock. That is a HUGE difference. If you ride on CC with hands off, you know that by leaning your weight to one side or the other, you can make the bike veer in that direction. So...logically...altering the bike's weight distribution by removing 7 pounds from the right side really does reduce/eliminate any tendency to veer in that direction.

I suspect those who have the stock muffler and say their bikes don't veer are actually riding bikes with inaccurate alignment or other anomaly such that the bike will go straight, but for the wrong reasons.
That being said when I lean my 195lb body with no hands to steer the bike in that direction that's A LOT more than the weight of an exhaust pipe. Therefore I can't understand how just a small 7lb difference would make any change. But since I have nothing to compare it to because I installed all my accessories within 100kms of buying the bike I cannot with good faith say the pipe had any change on veering or not. I can only say that in its current state the bike does not veer unless environmental effects (Wind) or intended effects of leaning and steering with my knees pressing against the tank one way or the other does the bike go in any other direction than straight.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
So the vast majority of RRs do not veer, and they do not because there is something wrong with them? Only the veering bikes were built/adjusted properly?

A bizarre conclusion.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
So the vast majority of RRs do not veer, and they do not because there is something wrong with them? Only the veering bikes were built/adjusted properly?

A bizarre conclusion.
Not being argumentative, but how do we know, empirically, that the vast majority do not veer? Has anyone really undertaken to seriously audit the RR population? The population on this board seems insufficiently large to draw any rigid conclusion. I do know for certain - personally - that lessening the "moment of inertia" on the right side by replacing the heavy OEM muffler with a lighter Akra slip-on virtually eliminated any veer tendency on my '15. The veer tendency in the '17 was slight, but still noticeable...and was completely eliminated by the much-lighter Akra GP slip-on I installed. From the perspective of this owner, the solution seemed clear. If other bikes, with the OEM muffler installed, absolutely, positively, do not veer, I admit...I'm baffled. Especially since one member here claimed to have gotten information directly from BMW that the muffler was the cause of the veer; I don't have the patience do plow through that whole thread to find the comment, but for the diligent among us...I believe it's there.

I was somewhat "tongue-in-cheek" with the comment about the "majority" of RR's...it's a flyryder trait I'm working to stifle. It isn't easy...

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
We can reasonably conclude that the majority of RR owners have bikes which do not veer based on the fact so few claim their bike veers. Someone actually did go through the threads a good while ago and counted the unique members reporting veering. As I recall, it was around a dozen. In any event, it was small in relation ship to the total number of bikes owned by members here.

Given that people love to complain and report problems, and given we have hundreds of members, it appears there are relatively few who have experienced the issue.

Also, with respect to exhaust placement, many of us own additional bikes - with the exhaust on one side - and these bikes do not veer. Similarly, replacing the slip-on on my RR with a lighter one did not make my bike go from no veer to veering left.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Also, with respect to exhaust placement, many of us own additional bikes - with the exhaust on one side - and these bikes do not veer. Similarly, replacing the slip-on on my RR with a lighter one did not make my bike go from no veer to veering left.
Yet on my bike, losing right-side weight worked. What are we to make of that?

It's a conundrum.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I do have the akra shorty titanium slip on installed which is a significant weight change from the stock can. I actually thought the box was empty before opening it to find a feather light slip on inside.

I rode my 2017 RR without a slip on (not even that 7 pounds Akra) and it still veered the same way as it did with the original set up. It’s a simple and easy way to try to see if the weight of the slip on is the cause of the veer, based on my experience negative.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I rode my 2017 RR without a slip on (not even that 7 pounds Akra) and it still veered the same way as it did with the original set up. It’s a simple and easy way to try to see if the weight of the slip on is the cause of the veer, based on my experience negative.
Now we have not only a conundrum, but a paradox. Your bike veers without any muffler...and mine doesn't veer with a lighter muffler.

Then you have owners of other manufacturers' bikes who say their bikes don't veer at all (Ducati, for example). Yet if you search other bike forums, you can find plenty of examples of bikes that do veer.

https://www.kawiforums.com/zzr600-zx-6r-old-school/60848-bike-pulls-right.html

https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/harley-davidson-v-rod/16374-bike-pulls-right.html

https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/bike-pulls-to-the-right.2845/

https://www.riderforums.com/3rd-gen-z1000-z1000sx-ninja-1000/75377-alignment-bike-drifts-right.html

Conclusion: Veering (actually it's more like a "drift" than a veer) is a random occurrence that has no obvious cause. However, I will reiterate that a member here did post, on the original veer thread, that an official response from BMW said it WAS the muffler's "moment of inertia" that caused the veering. What's puzzling is that explanation never gained any traction, perhaps because the source was never clearly revealed.

81 - 100 of 154 Posts