BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not to deviate from the original topic, but the OP seems to have found his answer, and you boys have peaked my curiosity. I've loaded bikes in pick up beds for years and I've never needed a winch, let alone seen someone use one on a sportbike. How common is this and why bother with the additional effort/expense? I've always just clutched it up the ramp while walking beside it, typically using an overturned 5 gal bucket as a step up into the bed. Simple enough.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Trailer is an option but less attractive since my HOA won't let us have them visible and I am definitely not taking my bikes out of the garage to fit the trailer! LOL! Just means it would cost me storage fees somewhere, which is the less attractive aspect of it.
There are folding trailers that take up way less space in garage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How common is this and why bother with the additional effort/expense?

It takes just one fallen bike to regret it, and larger/heavier bikes can be loaded by one person. If you’re confident that you can load any bike alone, more power to you.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I am looking to buy a pickup truck to carry my S1kRR on long road trips. I want to make sure the bike will fit in the bed, even if the tailgate needs to be left down.
If you're looking for a car-based truck that drives like a car and gets better gas mileage, get a Honda Ridgeline.

If you want a real truck, or to tow, get a quad cab Chevrolet Silverado with at least a 5.3L V8.
That's the same V8 engine architecture as the Corvette. Bulletproof and will run forever.
Take advantage of the $10k rebates and shop around, and you can buy a $51k Silverado LT with the 5.3L, 4x4, quad cab, leather, etc for $36k like I recently did.
I think a Silverado, the new 2020 Mid Engine Corvette, and the new S1k makes the ultimate garage. :smile2:
The best of all worlds, for all needs and situations, and the most return on your investment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hopefully this helps!

I rented an F-150 to get my (new to me) S1000RR home from Vancouver when the weather turned sour.

Here's an album of all the photos of the bike in the truck.

The truck was an EcoBoost 2.7L with the short box. It was freaking amazing. I couldn't recommend it enough, it had CarPlay, was plenty fast, and at 120km/h cruise speed, I averaged 13.3L/100km or 17.7 US MPG.

I used a Baxley front wheel chock, Canyon Dancer handlebar strap, 4 cam buckle straps and it was SOLID. I forgot about the bike and took a couple turns in a "spirited" fashion and everything stayed solid.

I used my preferred way to unload a wheeled vehicle from a truck. Back the truck up to a ditch or hill so the tailgate is level with the ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This truck looks amazing, but it's not a big truck for my job. I work for a logistics company and deliver goods over short distances. Last year, I noticed a great truck here https://www.truckexporter.co.uk/ and decided to buy it because my previous truck was from 2007 and broke down a lot. Every month I needed to invest a lot of money to drive the truck. But with the purchase of a used truck, I got rid of this problem. I bought a SCANIA P410 8X4 BULK ALLOY TIPPER (2014)

·
Registered
663 Posts
All that matters is bed height. I've had a ranger and tacoma for hauling, I never needed more than 4 cylinders and I would never want a full size truck to ride the bike up on.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If OP still has the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the 7500 lb towing option is quite robust. I've got thousands of miles logged on this setup
View attachment 222685
I like the hitch carriers, my tacoma squats quite a bit and have considered the manual inflating air bags for travel. Your jeep has the air suspension factory right? What is the tongue weigh capacity?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like the hitch carriers, my tacoma squats quite a bit and have considered the manual inflating air bags for travel. Your jeep has the air suspension factory right? What is the tongue weigh capacity?
Yes, it has the factory Air Suspension and really helps level it out once loaded up. I have the towing option that has a 7500 lbs capacity, 10% tongue weight is pretty standard so that is 750 lbs. Subtract 90 lbs for the carrier itself and the usable payload is around 660 lbs. The bike is around 450 lbs wet so that leaves a couple hundred pounds of overhead.

I didn't like how far out the carrier sat either, so I re-drilled the hitch pin hole to pull the carrier to within couple inches from the bumper. This shortens the lever arm and makes me feel a little better about bumps in the road.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts