BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a pickup truck to carry my S1kRR on long road trips. I want to make sure the bike will fit in the bed, even if the tailgate needs to be left down.

The bed length of the truck I am looking at is 5 1/2 feet (1.68 meters). Looking for feedback from anyone who has a similar truck size and has successfully loaded the bike into the back of the truck that it will fit, and if it does, does it fit straight on or did you have to go diagonal?

I know there are options for longer bed lengths but I'd rather stay with a shorter vehicle than needlessly going with a longer one. I also know I could iron-butt it, but depending on the trip, I'd rather enjoy the ride at the destination than gritting out a bunch of needless miles on the bike. I have a cruiser for those long "enjoy the journey" trips.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just be sure to strap it in well.
Bonus points if you use a good wheel chock.

Reactions: nawlins.s1000rr

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
I have a F150 with a 5.5 foot box. It fits nicely with the tailgate down. I can put in two bikes at the same time. With 2 bikes, strapping in is a bit tricky, but works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
What is your budget? I was obsessing over this for about 6 months this winter and decided I didn't want a beater truck sitting outside my house and am not a fan of trucks besides moving and making track days easier.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I'm bot certain what type of "cruiser" you drive, but I recently sold my truck and use the wifey's suv to trailer the bike around, u-hall charges $14 a day for the trailer, and I don't have to worry about insuring a truck that I'll use maybe 10x a year.

I was paying over $500 a month for the truck payment and insurance, now I just rent a truck if I need an actual truck for the usual Lowe's runs. If your current vehicle can handle a small trailer with the bike, that may be an alternative option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is your budget? I was obsessing over this for about 6 months this winter and decided I didn't want a beater truck sitting outside my house and am not a fan of trucks besides moving and making track days easier.
In the same boat. Budget isn't a huge issue for me, but trying to be practical. I currently have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi and full tow package. I have been looking to trade that in on something with comparable creature comforts. Would have gone with another Jeep and a beater truck, but now that's two vehicles to insure, maintain, etc etc, so figured a nice truck would be a good idea...but full size just seems like it's a lot for what I need. I don't mind spending more if I need to but don't want to spend needlessly.

I found a really nice F150, but it's got the 5 1/2' bed on it...all of the stuff I want inside the cab, but the bed seemed like it may be too short...which is where this post started from.

Thanks for everyone's responses confirming that this will fit! Off to buy a truck now... :smile2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm bot certain what type of "cruiser" you drive, but I recently sold my truck and use the wifey's suv to trailer the bike around, u-hall charges $14 a day for the trailer, and I don't have to worry about insuring a truck that I'll use maybe 10x a year.

I was paying over $500 a month for the truck payment and insurance, now I just rent a truck if I need an actual truck for the usual Lowe's runs. If your current vehicle can handle a small trailer with the bike, that may be an alternative option.
I actually came across that option last night; bouncing around among:

• Carrying in the bed of the truck
  • Carrying one (I have two to account for...mine and my wife's) in the bed of the truck and getting a motorcycle carrier (hitch attachment) for the other - this doesn't work if I have to leave the tailgate down.:wink2:
  • Buying a full-size truck with a long/wide enough bed to fit both bikes
  • Renting the trailer when needed

My cruiser is a Suzuki M109R, which is a huge beast. I need to check the measurements on the Uhaul motorcycle trailer and compare that to the bike length. If it fits, that would help eliminate the need for the larger bed on the truck, since I think I could carry my wife's Vulcan and my S1kRR in the bed of the truck, and trailer the Suzuki when I needed to, I think I'm good with the 5 1/2' bed.

Thanks for the suggestion and the response!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I actually came across that option last night; bouncing around among:

• Carrying in the bed of the truck
  • Carrying one (I have two to account for...mine and my wife's) in the bed of the truck and getting a motorcycle carrier (hitch attachment) for the other - this doesn't work if I have to leave the tailgate down.:wink2:
  • Buying a full-size truck with a long/wide enough bed to fit both bikes
  • Renting the trailer when needed

My cruiser is a Suzuki M109R, which is a huge beast. I need to check the measurements on the Uhaul motorcycle trailer and compare that to the bike length. If it fits, that would help eliminate the need for the larger bed on the truck, since I think I could carry my wife's Vulcan and my S1kRR in the bed of the truck, and trailer the Suzuki when I needed to, I think I'm good with the 5 1/2' bed.

Thanks for the suggestion and the response!
Or worst case just invest in the Kendon 3 biker trailer if you can't find a truck. I know the 5.7 tow package is good for like 7,500 pounds? You could realistically haul anything haha. And if you need space, get a cargo box and throw that on the roof and put your suits, gear, etc up there to free up some space in the Jeep.

I tow 2 bikes with my Subaru wrx, only PITA is loading the trailer solo otherwise its not bad, and my car is tight with all the track day gear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've gone through the same thought process and decided not to get a pick up truck or buy a trailer but to rent the U-haul trailer when needed.
I would call the U-haul location and make sure they have one on hand before submitting reservation, many times other renters won't bring it back in time especially now when riding season has started. My reservation got bounced to a different location because of unavailability and when I called the new location didn't have one either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fits fine with the tailgate down on the back of my Toyota Tundra Crewmax. But if I was going to trailer it a lot, I'd put it on the back of my trailer instead, so much easier to load and unload ?
Trailer is an option but less attractive since my HOA won't let us have them visible and I am definitely not taking my bikes out of the garage to fit the trailer! LOL! Just means it would cost me storage fees somewhere, which is the less attractive aspect of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've gone through the same thought process and decided not to get a pick up truck or buy a trailer but to rent the U-haul trailer when needed.
I would call the U-haul location and make sure they have one on hand before submitting reservation, many times other renters won't bring it back in time especially now when riding season has started. My reservation got bounced to a different location because of unavailability and when I called the new location didn't have one either.
This is looking more and more attractive, especially for longer road trips. I think I am gonna go with a balance of putting them in the back of the truck (proably using route246wraith's suggestion of having a winch installed to assist with loading) for short road trips, but trailering for longer trips or trips that I will take my cruiser.

Great point on the shifting reservations! Didn't think about that. I usually follow the rules and have them back on time. haha! Thanks for the tip!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts