BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

can anybody share manual/explain how to install the these crashbars? I have bought a set of the bars and brackets, as well as 4 screws (2 M8 and 2 M10) but looks like 4 more M10 screws are missing. Also I don't know the tightening torque, so any info would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Fact is, I came on today because I'm considering returning my BMW carbon fiber (CF) crash bars in favor of the H&B's crash bars (Hepco & Becker Engine Guard BMW S1000XR 2020-) or Wunderlich's crash bars (Wunderlich Engine Bars - Black). Price is reason one: The H&B's only cost $290 and have an included slider; Wunderlich's cost $440; BMW's cost $1,271.28 from my dealer). Reparability is reason two: H&B's and Wunderlich's are steel and can be sanded and touched-up after a minor tip-over; carbon fiber not so much (?). Auxiliary lighting is reason three: They use one of the crash bar mounting points. The H&B and Wunderlich crash bars are round bars; I'm sure I can find or make round brackets to mount the lights. BMW's crash bars are very oval shaped; circular attachment brackets would be a poor fit and making something that looks good would be problematic. I'm open to anyone's thoughts on this.

That said, here's what might help you: When I bought the BMW crash bars from my local dealer, I received the two bars, a bracket left, a bracket right, two self-locking nuts, two washers, and four fillister-head screws (see attached list). If you have the same parts, then you should have everything you need. I did not receive any instructions and, like you, I haven't found any. However, I did find the installation instructions for H&B's crash bars and Wunderlich's crash bars. I think all three sets of crash bars use the same attachment points so they may provide enough info for you to install your BMW crash bars. I've attached both sets of instructions. Please let us know if this works and please include pics. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fact is, I came on today because I'm considering returning my BMW carbon fiber (CF) crash bars in favor of the H&B's crash bars (Hepco & Becker Engine Guard BMW S1000XR 2020-) or Wunderlich's crash bars (Wunderlich Engine Bars - Black). Price is reason one: The H&B's only cost $290 and have an included slider; Wunderlich's cost $440; BMW's cost $1,271.28 from my dealer). Reparability is reason two: H&B's and Wunderlich's are steel and can be sanded and touched-up after a minor tip-over; carbon fiber not so much (?). Auxiliary lighting is reason three: They use one of the crash bar mounting points. The H&B and Wunderlich crash bars are round bars; I'm sure I can find or make round brackets to mount the lights. BMW's crash bars are very oval shaped; circular attachment brackets would be a poor fit and making something that looks good would be problematic. I'm open to anyone's thoughts on this.

That said, here's what might help you: When I bought the BMW crash bars from my local dealer, I received the two bars, a bracket left, a bracket right, two self-locking nuts, two washers, and four fillister-head screws (see attached list). If you have the same parts, then you should have everything you need. I did not receive any instructions and, like you, I haven't found any. However, I did find the installation instructions for H&B's crash bars and Wunderlich's crash bars. I think all three sets of crash bars use the same attachment points so they may provide enough info for you to install your BMW crash bars. I've attached both sets of instructions. Please let us know if this works and please include pics. Thanks.
Agree about the metal vs carbon crashbars, but since I already have carbon and don't want to send them back I continue to suffer figuring out how to install them.

It was good idea to see manuals for other aftermarket crashbars - it helped a bit, but now I have more clarity (see the picture):

IMG_3890.jpeg

So, I'm missing four more M10x40 (10.9 MKL) which are already on their way to me. Still would be great to cross check the tightening torque - from Wunderlich manual we can conclude that 56 Nm for M10 screws should be correct, but for M8 still need more info, as Wunderlich has different design and doesn't have this M8 connection. Also, there are no washers shown on the picture, but this is probably ok.

Next question: the connection of the bar to the frame is normally covered with side trim, particularly with the element which looks like removable but in reality seems to be one piece of plastic with the side trim (as I remember it when I installed the radiator guard). The next picture explains what I mean, red arrow points exactly to the connection where the plastic element which is absent on the picture. With Wunderlich bars this problem doesn't exist, as the bar has flat eye and screw can easily be covered with the side rim as it is.

S8-bmw-s1000-xr-en-direct-du-salon-de-milan-2019-609930.jpg

Hope this info will be helpful, although it is incomplete - still need to check tightening torque for M8 screw + what to do with the side trim plastic.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
My XR is away getting paint protective film installed. I'll take a look when I get it back. Thanks for both photos; first time I've seen a photo with the bars actually installed. That's the cleanest installed crash bar I've ever seen. Now I'm waffling again. Hmmmm...

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Have you removed the trim piece with the S1000 XR logo yet? My understanding is that you remove the bolt that is directly below the seat and then carefully pop the trim panel off (3?) grommet-type keepers working toward the front as you go. I suspect the piece you need to remove can be removed from the backside once the entire trim panel is off. Note: I have not done this yet, so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you removed the trim piece with the S1000 XR logo yet? My understanding is that you remove the bolt that is directly below the seat and then carefully pop the trim panel off (3?) grommet-type keepers working toward the front as you go. I suspect the piece you need to remove can be removed from the backside once the entire trim panel is off. Note: I have not done this yet, so I'm not sure.
Yes, I did. Besides to what you have described, there are few bolts fixing the trim from the "inside" of the mask, also the whole trim is easier to remove in one piece with radiator side cover (3 more bolts to unscrew). Anyway it is easy, and doable in 5 min. Certainly I will try again and see what I can do with the plastic cover to be removed - when my 4 M10 screws will arrive, so I will report here with pictures - either the installation goes successfully or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seriously looking at the 2021 BMW S1000XR. Crash or protection bars are very important to me. It appears that all these bars ( OEM, H & B, Wunderlich) require removal of the auxillary light? Am I correct??

Best,

Doc:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously looking at the 2021 BMW S1000XR. Crash or protection bars are very important to me. It appears that all these bars ( OEM, H & B, Wunderlich) require removal of the auxillary light? Am I correct??

Best,

Doc:unsure::unsure:
I think you’re right. With original carbon crash-bars and original auxillary light it is 100% true - either light or bars. With other aftermarket bars it could be possible to fit the lights to the metal of the bar even if such fitment has not been planned originally.

Hopefully on Sunday this week I will install the bars and will be able to share the details.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone. I completed the installation and here how the crashbars appear on the bike:

IMG_4082.jpeg
IMG_4059.jpeg

What you need for the installation is the set of the bars, brackets and screws (6 M10*40, 2 M8*35 with nuts and washers), as shown on the picture (together with tightening torque):
IMG_3890.jpeg
Also prepare 2 plastic zip ties to replace that ones that hold the turn signal harness: you need to cut them when remove side trim.
IMG_4080.jpeg

The installation is not difficult - just remove side trim, bottom side trim (radiator trim) and engine spoiler, that install the bars with the brackets (finally tighten with the required torque after you re-install the fairing panels) - as shown on the drawing above.

3 points to consider:

1. turn signal harness is very short when fixed with zip tie - have the cutter (to cut the zip tie) at hand when remove fairing and also small screwdriver to detach the turn signal connector.

2. You need to cut the plastic pieces of the fairing (by default they cover one of the bar mounting points on each side), however due to small ditch inclosing the piece to be cut - it wasn't big problem:
The ditch (disassemble from outer trim - grey/red/carbon):
IMG_4064.jpeg
Cutting out piece of the panel with carton knife:
IMG_4065.jpeg
Trim with the sandpaper:
IMG_4067.jpeg

And assemble:
IMG_4068.jpeg

3. On the left side replace the crew holding the metal bracket (which serves to fix the plastic trim) with M10*40 (10,9 MKL) screw - pay attention to install the bracket properly when assemble it with crossbar bracket:
IMG_4075.jpeg

Hope this will help you guys :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone. I completed the installation and here how the crashbars appear on the bike:

View attachment 213916
View attachment 213917

What you need for the installation is the set of the bars, brackets and screws (6 M10*40, 2 M8*35 with nuts and washers), as shown on the picture (together with tightening torque):
View attachment 213924
Also prepare 2 plastic zip ties to replace that ones that hold the turn signal harness: you need to cut them when remove side trim.
View attachment 213925

The installation is not difficult - just remove side trim, bottom side trim (radiator trim) and engine spoiler, that install the bars with the brackets (finally tighten with the required torque after you re-install the fairing panels) - as shown on the drawing above.

3 points to consider:

1. turn signal harness is very short when fixed with zip tie - have the cutter (to cut the zip tie) at hand when remove fairing and also small screwdriver to detach the turn signal connector.

2. You need to cut the plastic pieces of the fairing (by default they cover one of the bar mounting points on each side), however due to small ditch inclosing the piece to be cut - it wasn't big problem:
The ditch (disassemble from outer trim - grey/red/carbon):
View attachment 213918
Cutting out piece of the panel with carton knife:
View attachment 213919
Trim with the sandpaper:
View attachment 213922

And assemble:
View attachment 213921

3. On the left side replace the crew holding the metal bracket (which serves to fix the plastic trim) with M10*40 (10,9 MKL) screw - pay attention to install the bracket properly when assemble it with crossbar bracket:
View attachment 213923

Hope this will help you guys :cool:
GREAT WRITE UP. Thanks!!

Looks like there would be NO WAY to add the OEM Auxillary Lights. Wonder if the mothership has a fix for this issue??

Best,

Doc(y)(y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GREAT WRITE UP. Thanks!!

Looks like there would be NO WAY to add the OEM Auxillary Lights. Wonder if the mothership has a fix for this issue??

Best,

Doc(y)(y)
From what I know it will be either-or. May be something changes in 2021 :)

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I did. Besides to what you have described, there are few bolts fixing the trim from the "inside" of the mask, also the whole trim is easier to remove in one piece with radiator side cover (3 more bolts to unscrew). Anyway it is easy, and doable in 5 min. Certainly I will try again and see what I can do with the plastic cover to be removed - when my 4 M10 screws will arrive, so I will report here with pictures - either the installation goes successfully or not.
Would you mind explaining how to remove the trim panels please

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Basically removing the side panels doesn’t represent any difficulty.
There are 3 plastic parts - if I remember they are named - side trim (with large XR characters) radiator cover (side cover of the radiator) and engine spoiler (black side cover of the engine).
Side trim has 3 screws - 1 below the seat and 2 in front (accessible from inside and bottom of the mask)
Side trim has also a clip which fixes it to radiator cover, so I always removed side trim together with radiator cover - the latter is screwed with 3 screws - 2 screws are located along the radiator rim and 1 fixes the cover to the engine spoiler.
Additionally engine spoiler is fixed with 2 screws - both are easily seen and accessible.
Depending on what you want to work on - you may not need to remove engine spoiler: it opens access only to the bottom of the engine and oil filter (but not sure you can change it via this access only).
Also - please pay attention to the screws - there are 2 types - most of them a “shorter”, whereas those that fix engine spoiler are 1-2 mm “longer”.
Finally - have a forceps at hand - you will need to cut zip tie fixing turn signal harness immediately after you detach the radiator cover - stranded with the zip tie the harness is so short that you’ll be able to detach the trip but not remove. Having also flat screwdriver may help you to detach led signal connecter after you cut the zip tie - you will need to do it anyway so it’s better to be prepared.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree about the metal vs carbon crashbars, but since I already have carbon and don't want to send them back I continue to suffer figuring out how to install them.

It was good idea to see manuals for other aftermarket crashbars - it helped a bit, but now I have more clarity (see the picture):

View attachment 213488

So, I'm missing four more M10x40 (10.9 MKL) which are already on their way to me. Still would be great to cross check the tightening torque - from Wunderlich manual we can conclude that 56 Nm for M10 screws should be correct, but for M8 still need more info, as Wunderlich has different design and doesn't have this M8 connection. Also, there are no washers shown on the picture, but this is probably ok.

Next question: the connection of the bar to the frame is normally covered with side trim, particularly with the element which looks like removable but in reality seems to be one piece of plastic with the side trim (as I remember it when I installed the radiator guard). The next picture explains what I mean, red arrow points exactly to the connection where the plastic element which is absent on the picture. With Wunderlich bars this problem doesn't exist, as the bar has flat eye and screw can easily be covered with the side rim as it is.

View attachment 213489

Hope this info will be helpful, although it is incomplete - still need to check tightening torque for M8 screw + what to do with the side trim plastic.
Hi, can someone give me the odds?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Measured what? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm not getting what you asking at all.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Sorry. I returned mine; decided I didn't want CF crash bars because one tip over and they are non-repairable whereas I can sand and touchup paint my Hepco & Becker Engine Guards if I have a tip over. That said, you can measure most of the dimensions you want on your own XR by noting the attachment points shown in AlexB's detailed installation post from 7 mos ago. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts