BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , I own a grey s1000xr 2020 for the last month and I have almost 3000km. Some days ago and while moving with 30km/h , approaching to the point where I had to stop , I pressed the front brake where I suddenly realized that I had zero brakes , and when I say zero brakes I mean no front brake at all.
The right lever was touching the grip with zero resistance . I used the rear brake , that was working hopefully and the Moto reduced speed and stopped . Right after that incident the front brake started to work again . I am very anxious for that incident in case it happens again so , I am asking if anyone of you has faced same issue , as long as the service dealer in Greece finds no problem after the check he did.
Thank you alll

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The moto is brand new . It has 3000 kilometres only . If there is air in the lines from the first kilometres there might be something more serious for the reason that it takes air in the lines

·
4,891 Posts
Could be many things, won't know unless brake lines, MC, calipers, pads are all inspected, bled properly with a good brake fluid.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would get it towed back to the dealer asap. Not worth the risk of riding it again.
I cant understand from your post if you already had the dealer look at it, or are going to?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think I saw a BMW recall for this. I just got a 2020 xr too, BMW sent a note with no known date to fix!!

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I think I saw a BMW recall for this. I just got a 2020 xr too, BMW sent a note with no known date to fix!!
yes, but this is the same as all the other brake recalls for the Hayes caliper equipped bikes(for leaking calipers). My wife just got the same letter for her 18 month old 10k mile 1250GS. Luckily her calipers are not leaking, so probably will not need changing out.

I think the OP would have to have had some seriously quick leakage to result in the described issue, though if they leak a little that could mean that air could get(which would potentially result in the issue as described).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would get it towed back to the dealer asap. Not worth the risk of riding it again.
I cant understand from your post if you already had the dealer look at it, or are going to?
Actually the bike was check from the dealer after the incident. But the check they did was only to connect the bike on the diagnostic PC and check the air in the brake lines .

I think it is not enough at all .

they should recommend the bike to stay there for further check. Becausethey should search and find the source of the problem . Guys believe me I am on the bikes for many years .What happened was extremely shocking . And especially for an one month XR OF 2020 costing 22000 euro is even worse

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is disturbing to read. I put over 5000 miles on my 2020 S1000XR, and for me, the rebranded Haynes calipers have been awesome. That hasn't been the case for all, however.

I did have that caliper recall done on the bike before I could take it home - my dealer tells me that BMW is seriously considering going back to the Brembo calipers

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hey there, I had a very similar issue with my 2020 RR - been riding at least 30mins without really using the brakes, i just wanted to scrub a bit of speed for a corner and the lever came right back to the bar. After a pump it was fine for a short time and then happened several times later.
Turned out to be a warped disk - I think the pads were being pushed back into the caliper which explains the initial no brake, but then fine for a time afterwards after a pump. BMW were useless, the diagnostics don't show this kind of issue. I had to ask them to check the disks specifically, when they confirmed it was a warped disk - they wouldn't replace it under warranty as it's a consumable. I bought some Brembo Racing disks (they're slightly thicker) - been fine since.
Might be worth getting your local independent mechanic to check the disks
hope this helps
safe riding

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
Hey there, I had a very similar issue with my 2020 RR - been riding at least 30mins without really using the brakes, i just wanted to scrub a bit of speed for a corner and the lever came right back to the bar. After a pump it was fine for a short time and then happened several times later.
Turned out to be a warped disk - I think the pads were being pushed back into the caliper which explains the initial no brake, but then fine for a time afterwards after a pump. BMW were useless, the diagnostics don't show this kind of issue. I had to ask them to check the disks specifically, when they confirmed it was a warped disk - they wouldn't replace it under warranty as it's a consumable. I bought some Brembo Racing disks (they're slightly thicker) - been fine since.
Might be worth getting your local independent mechanic to check the disks
hope this helps
safe riding
Warped rotors are not something that happens under normal riding on the street. I have warped an OEM set on my 2015 K46 at 3k miles. I was lucky in that my dealer was able to replace both rotors under warranty but, if they had said no, I would not have been disappointed as I did warp them using GP4 calipers on COTA track day. Once I put the BrakeTech 6mm on there zero issues from then on and many many miles later. I have SS Cobra and Duct Iron 6mm rotors on my K46 wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts