BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I am keen to put my name down for an S1000RR, with one sticking point. I have only gotten an online quote for comprehensive insurance from InsureMyRide for $2600.00 a year so far, but will be ringing around to try and get better prices as time permits.

The supplied info from my side was;

31 years of age
No claims in the last ten years
Open motorbike licence held for five years
$200.00 excess
Locked garage storage

Is anybody able to tell me from their own experience whether this figure seems reasonable? Perhaps somebody with similar stats can provide a rough idea of what I should reasonably expect...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mate I am insured through CUNA which I think has been bought out by QBE a month or two ago... I pay around $600-650 ($26 a f/N anyway) and that is with a couple of thousand in riding gear and bike add ons....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Being 24 and male, ive found it near impossible to find a quote below the 2k mark.
When i first got the bike i managed to get insurance with Swann for about $2400, but couldnt handle the whack.
So, decided to put the insurance in my dads name, he being a fully licensed rider also, and managed to get a quote from AAMI for about $1100, so i went with that.
Im hoping when i turn 25, i can switch the insurance fully into my name at a similiar price
But its ridiculous some of the quotes i have received, most places dont even want to insure you.
Got quotes up to $6000 from some places, gotta be kidding!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you buy a BMW they will insure you with their BMW insurance. I bought my BMW and they were nearly half the price of the best quote I could get elsewhere. Don't let insurance put you off until you get a quote from your local BMW dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've just picked up my 2012 and went with BMW Insurance as well. The benefit with BMW insurance is that they calculate the premiums based on the probability of a BMW owner needing to claim. ;) Which is generally less likely than your average R1 rider for example.

I'm 37 and am paying approximately $800 per year, considering I have only had my bike license since November 2010 I think this is quite reasonable. My previous bike was a 2005 Ducati Monster and it cost me approximately $900 per year and is worth much less.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've just picked up my 2012 and went with BMW Insurance as well. The benefit with BMW insurance is that they calculate the premiums based on the probability of a BMW owner needing to claim. ;) Which is generally less likely than your average R1 rider for example.

I'm 37 and am paying approximately $800 per year, considering I have only had my bike license since November 2010 I think this is quite reasonable. My previous bike was a 2005 Ducati Monster and it cost me approximately $900 per year and is worth much less.

The problem with BMW insurance, is, they dont insure riders under 30 for the S1000!! :mad:
Always find it weird, that they have no problem selling you the bike, also the fact that you can legally ride it, but refuse to insure you.
All about risk for them i know, but unfair for us young riders :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
The problem with BMW insurance, is, they dont insure riders under 30 for the S1000!! :mad:
Always find it weird, that they have no problem selling you the bike, also the fact that you can legally ride it, but refuse to insure you.
All about risk for them i know, but unfair for us young riders :(
Not really.....I was insured with them when i was 28+....
I turned 30 this year....
What I find interesting is that they have raise the premium by 100$ citing rates increase across the board this year....renewal is due in May.
Shopping around doesnt help much as they are still cheapest around...:p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not really.....I was insured with them when i was 28+....
I turned 30 this year....
What I find interesting is that they have raise the premium by 100$ citing rates increase across the board this year....renewal is due in May.
Shopping around doesnt help much as they are still cheapest around...:p

When i bought the bike i was told they wouldnt offer me insurance unless i was 30+. Hmmmm interesting.
How much was your premiums when you first insured the bike? Which dealership did you deal with?
Picking up my bike after a service today from Doncaster. But i have dealt with the guys at southbank a few times

·
Registered
173 Posts
When i bought the bike i was told they wouldnt offer me insurance unless i was 30+. Hmmmm interesting.
How much was your premiums when you first insured the bike? Which dealership did you deal with?
Picking up my bike after a service today from Doncaster. But i have dealt with the guys at southbank a few times
Southbank is where I bought it from......It was $1031 with all my safety mods and 2000$ riding gear when I bought it and now around 1130.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
shannons all the way s1000rr triumph t100 100th ana limited edition 71 triumph custom chopper 2004 vy ss crewman 2010 holden cruze 1960 impala
$2200 the lot

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got insurance through BMW. I'm 25 and for comprehensive it was only $800 with riding gear and excess $500. Only thing the policy doesn't cover is anyone under 25 riding the bike.

·
Registered
249 Posts
im sitting at 1000 a year for both bikes. 2012 s1000r and the 05 zx10r. not to bad i don't think. considering i have been quoted 6000 a year haha.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you get covered for track days??? I know QBE lists the courses (inc. CAL Superbike School- Lvl 1 only).... But otherwise if your on a track you not covered... Bit of a shame..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts