BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
For what it's worth....My first sport car...with no prior sport car experience was a 911 Carrera 4 (997)....I moved to an Audi R8 1 year later. So you could say I kinda jumped into sport cars both feet in. I wouldn't of wanted a Mustang or Nissan 350 (not that there's anything wrong with either) because I was simply not interested in that type of vehicle.

I would never buy an EX250 (not that there's anything wrong with an EX250).

On the other hand, I do understand where you're coming from and started this thread to get an overall feel on what the opinions would be....so far...the majority seems to say...go for it!! Let's see if more people will chime in.

I've already placed the order for the S1K...so that's done...but I do respect the opinions of experienced riders who already own this bike...so keep it coming.
Comparing the skills/risks of cars vs bikes is not a valid argument. It takes much more skill to drive a bike well than a car.

That being said, I had an FJ1100 when I was 16 and came damn close to killing myself. :rolleyes:

If you take delivery, just be very careful and practice.

Oh, and congratulations. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some of the responses here have me a little worried about my decision!

I trust myself...and at 41 years old..I'm young at heart but certainly not immature.

Having said that...I take it a lot of you here are very experienced riders and I do respect your opinions.

The idea of starting out on something much smaller wasn't appealing to me as this was in part what some might call a "mid life crisis" purchase.

I've always loved bikes and started in the late 80's with a Yamaha RD350...then a RZ350...then a 90 something RZ500 and finally a FZ750. I rode around 5 years in total and stopped. Also, while living in Europe for 6 years...I rode a few enduro type 125 and 250's with the occasional moped (I know....I said moped!! lol)

This purchase was driven by my attraction to a "superbike" and not a "starter" bike. If you're in your 40's and have some disposable income and decide to get a sport car...boat....or any other big toy...it is expected you'll get something pretty flamboyant!

Unfortunately...I don't have any friends that ride bikes....but if I did and one of them said they highly advised against getting this bike to start...I'd listen.

I don't know any of you and some comments may be made based more on the fact that you feel like a new rider doesn't "deserve" such a nice bike to start as they had to work their way up to the S1K...not sure...but if some folks here can make some solid arguments I'm all ears and honestly do appreciate the feedback....just please...refrain from flaming me or being abrasive (not that anyone was...just saying)

Thanks to everyone so far.
I hope you got the S1K because is better to have a bike that you grow and expand your riding skills than to have a bike that you grow out of (and this happens quickly), just ride it in rain mode until you get use to the power delivery.

You should be proud of yourself in getting a bike even though you don't have any friends that ride because you are not waiting for anybody else to live your life, "Do what you want to do when you want to do it, regardless of what other people think or want".
If you are in CT or around the tri-state area just pm'me and I'll be more than glad to show you some really nice twisty roads.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Comparing the skills/risks of cars vs bikes is not a valid argument. It takes much more skill to drive a bike well than a car.

That being said, I had an FJ1100 when I was 16 and came damn close to killing myself. :rolleyes:

If you take delivery, just be very careful and practice.

Oh, and congratulations. :)
Amen to that! It seems to me bike skills are much more difficult to master, at least on the street. Although I'm sure racing on two or four wheels at the highest levels takes commensurate skill.

That being said, I had a Suzuki 700E when I was 30, and came close to killing myself on it! It was my MSF skills that saved my hide. I highly recommend both the Beginning and Advance Rider courses, even if you are an "older" adult rider and even if you do plan on becoming a regular at the track. You'll learn a lot of practical street skills.

Yes, congratulations.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The S1000RR is a safe bike with all the electronics... i got no experience on sport bike but i do stay calm and got almost 50...

You will not regret your choice.

Still a lot of snow here so we have to wait another 2 months to ride :(

·
Banned
50 Posts
The S1K was my first superbike. I always loved them but the ergos were a turn off to me and I felt contorted everytime I sat on one. The S1K has the best ergos and is the easiest superbike to ride. At 40 years of age i think you should have enough sense to ride this bike responsibly and grow into it over time. Do it!!! You will be in awe of the bike and its capabilities.

A winter pic of my bike after some carbon fiber add-ons. Notice the clips ons and how level they are to the ground. I installed the Helibars and they look completely stock but increase the comfort significantly.

Reactions: pilot51

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's the deal...I'm 41 years old and haven't been riding for a very long time. In my 20's I owned a couple of bikes...bought my first bike (Yamaha RZ350) when I was 18....owned a FZ750 back in the early 90's..and rode bikes while I lived in Europe in the 90's as well.

I haven't been riding for a very long time but rode enough in the past to know how to ride a bike. Not that I consider myself a true "rider" just someone with a decent knowledge of riding bikes.

I was at my BMW dealer a few days ago (I currently own a 2008 BMW X5 4.8) and saw the S1000rr....love at first sight. Came home and decided to buy it!

I realize I should possibly start on something smaller but my rational is that I'm not a high performance car driver with fast car experience...but if I could afford it...I'd get a Ferrari. Using that logic to bikes I decided to go with the s1000rr.

I'd like to point out I'm 41 years old and have two kids...I'm a pretty level headed guy and have a little need for speed but love my kids too much to jeopardize my life.

What are your opinions with the s1000rr for someone who's not a very experienced rider like myself....?
Just got my license last Thursday. Bought my 2021 on Friday. Keep her in rain 🌧 mode and respect her…all is well

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, he's 51 years old now. Ten years passed since his post. Hopefully he went beyond rain mode already. :)

41 - 47 of 47 Posts