BMW S1000RR Forum banner
141 - 160 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Anyone hear of any new rumors for the 1000 23 model? Waiting to see what is new before I Decide what to get. Also waiting to see if Yamaha comes out with new R1 for the street. I narrowed my choice down to those two and possibly a MV Agusta F4RC. Updates for the BMW should be next month correct.
LOL. This entire thread has been dedicated to the rumors of the 23 model. Just read through the latest posts as the rumors discussed seem to be pretty solid based off of leaked internal documents.

And are you sure you want to open up that can of headaches with an MV?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thought the F4RC was a reliable bike. Just looking for one last bike to get before I am done riding and wanted to
get something that had resale valve along with not having a lot of software issues I see on the current bikes having. Also thought about a 2019 ZX10RR. Not a fan of all the electronics on the bikes now.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR
123 Posts
Interesting find this morning.
M1000R and S1000RR updates - motorcycle.com

"It’s been nearly two years since BMW first debuted the M 1000 RR, its first motorcycle to carry the company’s high-performance M brand. We knew it wouldn’t be the first, though, after we broke the news that BMW had trademarked the name along with “M 1000 XR” and “M 1300 GS.” What we didn’t expect was for the next M-branded motorcycle to be based on the S 1000 R."

That now looks to be the case, as a new M 1000 R model has appeared in vehicle certification documents in Switzerland and Germany. The M 1000 RR isn’t alone, however, as the same documents confirm BMW will also be introducing an updated S 1000 RR with a revised engine.

The Swiss document lists the M 1000 R and S 1000 RR both producing 206.5 hp at 13,750 rpm. That’s not quite on par with the M 1000 RR’s listed 209 hp at 14,500 rpm, but a slight bump from the current S 1000 RR’s claimed 204 hp at 13,500 rpm and a sizeable jump from the S 1000 R’s claimed 162 hp at 11,000 rpm.
Peak torque is listed at 83.3 lb-ft. at 11,000 rpm. That’s the same as the current S 1000 RR, but differs from the S 1000 R’s 84 lb-ft. at 9,250 rpm. This suggests the M 1000 R’s 999cc engine will have the same tuning as the S 1000 RR, and not the current S 1000 R’s more streetable tuning. It also suggests the M model will adopt BMW’s ShiftCam variable valve timing system.

While the peak output is the same for both M 1000 R and S 1000 RR, the M bike has higher values for carbon monoxide, hydrocarbon and nitrogen oxides emissions, suggesting a different exhaust system, which should be no surprise for an M model.

The new S 1000 RR’s final drive ratio and 57.3-inch wheelbase are the same as the M 1000 RR, which it achieved via a longer chain and by swapping out the current S 1000 RR’s 45-tooth rear sprocket with a 46-tooth sprocket. The M 1000 R’s final drive ratio suggests a 47-tooth sprocket, and it has an even longer wheelbase at 57.9 inches, a 0.2-inch increase over the S 1000 R.

The Swiss document also lists the M 1000 R as having a 200/55 ZR 17 rear tire, just like the M 1000 RR. The S 1000 RR however stays with the 190/55 ZR 17 tire. It’s not explicitly mentioned in the documentation, but we can expect the M 1000 R to employ carbon rims as well as the same M-branded brakes as the M 1000 RR.
BMW has backed away from the major international motorcycle shows in recent years, but it’s expected to have a presence at Intermot in October. We suspect the M 1000 R and S 1000 RR will be announced in the weeks ahead, and at least one of them will be at the Cologne show."

·
Registered
67 Posts
An M1000 R? Wild. Looks like we'll find out at Intermot. Thanks for sharing!
Wild? I wouldn’t say so…
In my opinion it had to be done, as it will allow it to close the gap to the Streetfighter and the Brutale. The R was too underpowered compared to them.

My dealer mentioned that the M 1000 RR will also be updated next year, but likely only announced later on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wild? I wouldn’t say so…
In my opinion it had to be done, as it will allow it to close the gap to the Streetfighter and the Brutale. The R was too underpowered compared to them.

My dealer mentioned that the M 1000 RR will also be updated next year, but likely only announced later on.
BMW themselves said they don't intend to compete in the horsepower wars for the Single R, so that's why an M 1000R model is a bit wild. They easily could have slapped the shiftcam engine into the current bike, but they chose not to.

'We could have given (our customers) 200HP in 2014, but we chose not to'. See 24:07 in this announcement video from BMW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All
Just wanted to provide an update on the current 2023 S1000rr situation, based on what I have been told by my BMW dealer. I have the 2020 M Sport version of the S1000rr and am due to exchange it in March 2023 for the new model. I went to my local UK dealer yesterday to discuss PXing my bike in and ordering a new 2023 model. I was told by the BMW representative that due to manufacturing issues and lack of parts currently available across a lot of the BMW models, the chances of getting a new 2023 S1000rr model (All models including the M) next year was less than 1%. I was advised to buy the latest 2022 model to ensure I had a new bike for the exchange. To further validate this information, I was even informed that my 2022 model would not be arriving with the standard M-Lithium battery, as they are not currently being manufactured and therefore are not available. So, it sounds like a global shortage of certain parts has delayed production and may very well stop production in 2023.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Advised to buy the current latest... By the salesman... God loves a trier.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk
That was my 1st impression. So, I asked for the exact details and explanation in writing and informed them that should I see a 2023 model sat in their showroom in March 2023, not even God would stop me expressing my dissatisfaction. :) And I have it in writing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
BMW themselves said they don't intend to compete in the horsepower wars for the Single R, so that's why an M 1000R model is a bit wild. They easily could have slapped the shiftcam engine into the current bike, but they chose not to.

'We could have given (our customers) 200HP in 2014, but we chose not to'. See 24:07 in this announcement video from BMW
Fact is the S1000R became a boring bike when compared to the other bikes I mentioned, however it costs a lot less.

The M version gives the R an opportunity to offer something special for those willing to pay the premium, while still having a value option.

KTM had a similar excuse when it decided to discontinue the RC8R… they probably still regret this decision. Glad BMW did not go in the same direction.

Let’s see how big the price increase for the 23 bikes will be. Germany is facing serious costs increases and inflation.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,079 Posts
2023 S1000RR

The most noticeable changes relate to the fairing, which again has shark gill slits on the sides – as was the case with the original S 1000 RR from 2009. In addition – as expected – winglets, i.e. the aerodynamic front spoilers known from racing. The brake calipers from Hayes were no longer fitted but rather the blue ones from Nissin – as on the M 1000 RR. It is still unclear whether this is the new standard or M accessories. This also applies to the carbon cooling air scoops on the front brakes, which could be seen on the machine.

The current BMW S 1000 RR was presented at the end of 2018 for 2019. The new top model M 1000 RR followed in 2021, but the basic RR remained unchanged. A new version of the BMW S 1000 RR is now expected for 2023. In the homologation data available to the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA), BMW mentions a different peak output for the S 1000 RR: 154 instead of the previous 152 kW. Converted exactly into hp, that's 209.4 hp instead of the previous 206.7 hp, i.e. 2.7 hp more. The in-line four-cylinder engine equipped with the two-stage Shift Cam system will have to rev a little higher for this. So far, the nominal output has been achieved at 13,500 rpm, the 2.7 additional hp are to be achieved at 13,750 rpm.

However, even more top speed should will not be achieved. According to rumours, even 3 km/h less - but still just over 300 km/h. Because the rear sprocket is now 46 instead of 45 teeth on the sprocket. As with the M 1000 RR – which, however, has a nominal output of 212 hp at 14,500 rpm. The S 1000 RR should also benefit from one more tooth on the sprocket when accelerating and pulling through.

A slightly longer final drive chain would have to be used here, with which the wheelbase would be extended by a few millimeters - which would not require any changes to the swingarm. This would then have positive effects on high-speed stability. The same applies to the front spoiler, also known as winglets, which apply contact pressure to the front wheel and are already familiar from racing and the M 1000 RR. Most likely, the new S 1000 RR will also get winglets, albeit perhaps a bit smaller than on the M, to keep the price and prestige gap.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I see the rear brake is underslung as the M. Curious no one is talking about this if in fact that makes it to the 2023.
I think that is the updated M1000RR. Not the S. The wouldn't have brake coolers or giant wings.

However using a standard swingarm and the same brakes is a cost benefit. So moving to the current M's setup on to the S is probably going happen.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think that is the updated M1000RR. Not the S. The wouldn't have brake coolers or giant wings.

However using a standard swingarm and the same brakes is a cost benefit. So moving to the current M's setup on to the S is probably going happen.

The photos and the narrative Benny put up are referring to the S. Unless I'm making the wrong assumption with the pictures being posted and the narrative discussing the changes for the S1000RR immediately below it.

141 - 160 of 299 Posts