BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Last Saturday I was at the beautiful full track of Spa-Francorchamps. The first session was partly wet, no issues did some laps on slicks.

the second session, during my outlap the bike suddenly lost al of his power. Stopt it, checked, on/off but it stayed the same. Went to the paddock, the bike runs very poor. Engine error on the dashboard.

I went to the dealer, not one related error in the ecu regarding the engine. The bike is only running on three cylinders at the moment. They start working on it Thursday, so no clue at the moment.

does anyone else had this issue with the new s1000rr?

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
I have wrote about this issue often. I have seen the bad coils on 3 K67's in DFW, and I have lost count at about 10 on this forum that have had the coil issue on the K67.

There is no error code in the ECU diagnostics usually, as I have seen it only once on the first K67 that had this issue of a bad coil here in DFW.

The typical coil that is bad is number 3.

The dealer should just replace all 4.

@Carlito had his K67 in the shop for months and they claim to have replace the coil connector and had no clue how to troubleshoot the issue.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Yeah, truly and annoying experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's good to hear I think it is a common issue and probably easy to fix. The bike has not even 1000km on it, so I don't hope it will happen often with racing use.

Do you guys know a ''better'' aftermarket coils?

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
My coil went out at 3000 miles. After replacement, it now has 8500 of some of the hardest miles you can imagine for a road race bike and its still going.

There has never been an aftermarket coil on plug replacement I have ever seen for K46 or K67 or any other BMW out there.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
In my bike, it wasn't actually the coil but the connectors to the coils weren't latching properly. That's what they replaced on my bike. Also, make sure they don't overfill your bike with oil!

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine just went out, I don’t remember the mileage but it’s just under 3k miles on the engine. Starting to see a common trend here with the coil packs. It has been at the dealership for 2 weeks now and I still no eta from Germany. Such a nuisance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is the dealer waiting for then? Can’t they just replace the coil? Mine was fixed within days..

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
First problem is that there is no process for testing a coil at the dealer level. There is no process for the dealer to even try to determine it is a coil to test the coil. So, they open a PUMA and ask BMWAG what to do.

A smart dealer will have already seen the problem and know what to do. So they dont wait on BMWAG and just order the coil, look for it to have fixed the problem, and warranty the part. The bad of all this is that the 'cause' is not there for the effect.

I had the issue at 3600 miles. No clue what caused it at 3600, but it is at 8700 on the 4 new coils now, and that makes them about 5100 miles out lasting the first set.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Can't they test the coil resistance at different temperatures or use a gaped spark tester?

·
4,891 Posts
What build date is your bike?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The typical coil that is bad is number 3.

The dealer should just replace all 4.
I have a 2020 s1000rr and seems to exhibit the bad coil symptoms. Was riding along doing about 50 and turned down an offramp and power drops significantly and shuddering under acceleration. I pulled over immediately and trailered the bike home.
I have my bike almost completely stock except for the following: flashed with Brentune stage 2 with IAT relocation and air intake flapper removed.
I have 7k miles on the bike btw.

I am assuming that if I take my bike back to the dealer I would need to flash it back to stock in order to have the coils replaced under warranty, is this true?
I also assume that once I flash back to stock that I will get an error since I have removed the flapper's and the servo motor that controlled this flapper, is that true?
What happens to my warranty once they see that error and find out I have removed said flapper motor? Will I get rejected to replace the coils under warranty?

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
any modifications can cause a warranty to be rejected depending on how BMWAG see the mods in relation to the failure.

Smart to put the stock parts all back on and if you had XWORKS ECU you would not have to remove them anyway as it would dyno 203HP at the tire with those parts in place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
thanks.. for the info.. i replaced all my mod's back to stock and flashed back to stock, then took to the dealer. The mechanic confirmed it seems to be a bad coil or spark plug.. something in that area. Haven't heard nothing from them it's been since this past Tuesday. I would suppose they are in the process of going through bmw and checking all the possible problems. Heard the coils were on backorder.. i hope not.. still some time left here in TN to do some riding before it get's too cold.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I bought a spare coil just in case. I'm in Nashville if you wind up needing it. I have my bike stripped down for winter maintenance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a spare coil just in case. I'm in Nashville if you wind up needing it. I have my bike stripped down for winter maintenance.
Thanks..i was thinking of buying a few as spared myself. You ordered through dealer?

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
Thanks..i was thinking of buying a few as spared myself. You ordered through dealer?
I brought 8.. but I have 3 K67's now to deal with. So far two of them are still less than 3500 miles which is when my first K67 had its coil issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts