BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's total bollocks and I suggest you visit your dealer to check your brakes.

OE brakes on 2020 model are superb, no issues running at 1:54 tempo at Jerez last 4 days.
It was not my bike ... brand new completely standard M-Sport version with 1000km on the odo.
ABS was switched off and bike was in Race PRO mode.
I liked the bike, but the OEM brakes, DDC and the way wheelycontrol works did not convince me.
I ordered one myself due to arrive in a few weeks.

Maybe also of some importance ... I tested the bike on circuit Carole near Paris.
It's a short track (2km) with lots of heavy braking. Brakes don't get time to cool like they do on the bigger tracks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It was not my bike ... brand new completely standard M-Sport version with 1000km on the odo.
ABS was switched off and bike was in Race PRO mode.
I liked the bike, but the OEM brakes, DDC and the way wheelycontrol works did not convince me.
I ordered one myself due to arrive in a few weeks.

Maybe also of some importance ... I tested the bike on circuit Carole near Paris.
It's a short track (2km) with lots of heavy braking. Brakes don't get time to cool like they do on the bigger tracks.
Mate, you would be surprised how often brakes are used at Jerez. It's not Mugello with long straights and long sweeping corners.

Of all you said I only would agree on antiwheelie, it does want to wheelie as Gen3, especially with short gearing (I ran 16-46). But this easily solveable by leaning the bike on gas or short shift into higher gear.
Also RS2E are working on Race maps for Gen4 and soon will come up with a better antiwheelie.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mate, you would be surprised how often brakes are used at Jerez. It's not Mugello with long straights and long sweeping corners.

Of all you said I only would agree on antiwheelie, it does want to wheelie as Gen3, especially with short gearing (I ran 16-46). But this easily solveable by leaning the bike on gas or short shift into higher gear.
Also RS2E are working on Race maps for Gen4 and soon will come up with a better antiwheelie.
I'm used not having anti-wheely on my 2013 (has the HPK Race ECU) and just control them with throttle/gearchange/rearbrake. What bothered me the most was the exiting of a wheely where you normally roll-off the throttle to land the frontwheel the 2020 just throws the wheel down the moment you roll off the throttle. It's like it switches off anti-wheely but doesn't have enough power/torque to catch it. But it's not specific BMW ... I felt the same behaviour on the R1M and Panigale V4 I tested. On the R1 with GYTR electronics I did not have it.

Anyway, I'm going with the RCK Pro kit on my 2020

·
Registered
253 Posts
It‘s not about the calipers being better or worse. It’s about finding the brake pads.
Same with suspensions, K-Tec is better than Ohlins but Ohlins has the support.
ah i did not consider pad selections... i assumed they would make the new calipers able to fit the same pads as the brembos in order to take advantage of existing products, but maybe they went with a new shape?

·
Registered
450 Posts
ah i did not consider pad selections... i assumed they would make the new calipers able to fit the same pads as the brembos in order to take advantage of existing products, but maybe they went with a new shape?
It wont fit standard brembo pads that fit M4 or GP4RX, but there is plenty of pads from Brembo or SBS that will fit Hayes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What bothered me the most was the exiting of a wheely where you normally roll-off the throttle to land the frontwheel the 2020 just throws the wheel down the moment you roll off the throttle. It's like it switches off anti-wheely but doesn't have enough power/torque to catch it. But it's not specific BMW ... I felt the same behaviour on the R1M and Panigale V4 I tested. On the R1 with GYTR electronics I did not have it.
Did you try to keep the bike at lean when on gas at exit ?

Anyway, I'm going with the RCK Pro kit on my 2020
Nice! I doubt it will have an easy way to prevent wheelies tho, you will have to adjust/program it in with myriad of settings.

Are you doing Spa this year at all ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did you try to keep the bike at lean when on gas at exit ?

Nice! I doubt it will have an easy way to prevent wheelies tho, you will have to adjust/program it in with myriad of settings.

Are you doing Spa this year at all ?
With the front wheel high in the sky I just rolled-off the throttle as you do on a bike without wheelycontrol.
And that’s exactly when it feels like there’s not enough power/torque, guess it has something to do how they implemented wheelcontrol. If you prevent it from wheelying pretty high it will probably be less noticable.

Anyway, I’m not getting the RCK Pro for the wheelycontrol :)
Crazy how much you can adjust/tweak using this kit!

I did not yet book anything at Spa yet, but normally Dunlop will invite me for their dealer-event. Blew my engine last year at Spa :-(

·
Registered
450 Posts
With the front wheel high in the sky I just rolled-off the throttle as you do on a bike without wheelycontrol.
And that’s exactly when it feels like there’s not enough power/torque, guess it has something to do how they implemented wheelcontrol. If you prevent it from wheelying pretty high it will probably be less noticable.

Anyway, I’m not getting the RCK Pro for the wheelycontrol :)
Crazy how much you can adjust/tweak using this kit!

I did not yet book anything at Spa yet, but normally Dunlop will invite me for their dealer-event. Blew my engine last year at Spa :-(
I never had a need to rolloff the throttle. I run wheelie: 2 and I just lean the bike before going on gas.

When did you blow up engine? In June? Was it after exit from Eua Rouge ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Alpharacing for the win :)
Not too expensive and good endurance.
On my 2013 they last (depending on the track) between 2 and 3 trackdays.

For the 2020 I went for Beringer Aerotec calipers and asked the factory to exchange the pistons for their titanium ones from the Endurance series. Also will be swapping the standard brakediscs for the 6mm Motomasters (identical to the Alpharacing ones since Motomaster manufactures them). And mastercylinder will be Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta

21 - 32 of 32 Posts