BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but was surprised not to find a whole lot out there. I have a 2010 that will be a track only bike in a year or so and have been looking at getting RS2e's tune. What has been the experience with it on the street? Is it just whip the ECU out ship it to them and slap it back in when you get back? Is there anything about it you wish you would have known before you got it done, good or bad?

It sounds like its right up my alley!!! Just looking for anymore info. I have an email conversation started with them but the brokenish english is a little bit of a barrier.

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
I searched but was surprised not to find a whole lot out there. I have a 2010 that will be a track only bike in a year or so and have been looking at getting RS2e's tune. What has been the experience with it on the street? Is it just whip the ECU out ship it to them and slap it back in when you get back? Is there anything about it you wish you would have known before you got it done, good or bad?

It sounds like its right up my alley!!! Just looking for anymore info. I have an email conversation started with them but the brokenish english is a little bit of a barrier.
I sent them my ECU yesterday. Expecting to get it back by end of this week. Have Donny booked next week Thursday and will be able to share experience.

Few people on s1000rr UK forum have it and really like it.

Bren running/RCK is a bit orthogonal to what RS2E do.

·
Vendor
2,492 Posts
While we did talk about RCK / HP power products for your S1KRR.. We did not talk about RS2E. One reason is that the 10/11 was not offered last year so I was not aware that they had incorporated the ignition cut on the DTC for the 10/11. I would find someone if you can that has it for the 10/11 because the first version 17/18 was not a success in implementation. I caught the issue and advised the customer they need to contact RS2E about the issue and sure enough they admitted to some bad coding on the 17/18 first release. They did correct the issue for free for the customer.

The 10/11 388 ECU is not as robust and coded near as well as the 12-14, and then the 15-19 K46 is a whole new architecture of goodness.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I sent them my ECU yesterday. Expecting to get it back by end of this week. Have Donny booked next week Thursday and will be able to share experience.

Few people on s1000rr UK forum have it and really like it.

Bren running/RCK is a bit orthogonal to what RS2E do.
Also the Alpha Racing -flash is the same as RS2-flash.
Alpha racing is just selling it with their label.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While we did talk about RCK / HP power products for your S1KRR.. We did not talk about RS2E. One reason is that the 10/11 was not offered last year so I was not aware that they had incorporated the ignition cut on the DTC for the 10/11. I would find someone if you can that has it for the 10/11 because the first version 17/18 was not a success in implementation. I caught the issue and advised the customer they need to contact RS2E about the issue and sure enough they admitted to some bad coding on the 17/18 first release. They did correct the issue for free for the customer.

The 10/11 388 ECU is not as robust and coded near as well as the 12-14, and then the 15-19 K46 is a whole new architecture of goodness.
I did sent an email over the pond to Robert and they seemed to think there would be no issues getting me going. Your price on RCK is fantastic! I just don't want something that I have to tune. I want something out of the box ready to go at this time. The RS2 guys said that with RCK I could add gear depended engine braking. That's cool but I don't feel the need for it at the moment nor do I want to have to fine tune it.

I'm realizing that I should have bought a newer bike for all this kind of stuff but oh well I'll do the best I can with what I have for the time being. I will also say I'm a nerd and the fact that RS2 did the WSBK bikes and the audible traction control has my shorts in a bunch <3

Thanks everyone for your input, keep it coming!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I did sent an email over the pond to Robert and they seemed to think there would be no issues getting me going. Your price on RCK is fantastic! I just don't want something that I have to tune. I want something out of the box ready to go at this time. The RS2 guys said that with RCK I could add gear depended engine braking. That's cool but I don't feel the need for it at the moment nor do I want to have to fine tune it.
RCK1 does not have that feature.
RS2E will flash a RCK2 to you ecu.
For a fast track rider engine brake settings are very useful feature.

You do not have to tune RCK ecu, you can use it "out of the box".

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
RCK1 does not have that feature.
RS2E will flash a RCK2 to you ecu.
For a fast track rider engine brake settings are very useful feature.

You do not have to tune RCK ecu, you can use it "out of the box".
I was thinking also the RS2E solution. Speedfinn have you upgraded to the RS2E traction control?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I was thinking also the RS2E solution. Speedfinn have you upgraded to the RS2E traction control?
I ordered a RS2E RCK2-flash to my 2011 ecu in april 2017.
I do not have the "audible" version of the DTC.
I'm not sure what kind of modifications the ecu flash has in total, but I would guess that it is not a totally standard RCK2. As far as I know also the traditional non audible RS2E RCK2 has some additional tweaks in the ecu sw.
I have made my own custom DTC maps, and I'm happy, and my Dunlop MS2, 3, 4 and 5 tyres are happy: https://imgur.com/a/HhKaO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure what kind of modifications the ecu flash has in total, but I would guess that it is not a totally standard RCK2. As far as I know also the traditional non audible RS2E RCK2 has some additional tweaks in the ecu sw.
I have made my own custom DTC maps, and I'm happy, and my Dunlop MS2, 3, 4 and 5 tyres are happy: https://imgur.com/a/HhKaO

So are you saying that RS2 has there own settings for RCK2 that they program in when they flash RCK2 on your ECU? DO you get the gear dependent engine braking with RCK2 from them?

·
Registered
957 Posts
So are you saying that RS2 has there own settings for RCK2 that they program in when they flash RCK2 on your ECU?

DO you get the gear dependent engine braking with RCK2 from them?
As far as I know, they have made some minor tweaks to the ecu sw, just to make the functionality more smooth for a track rider. So majority (90-95%) of the sw functionality is the same as in a OEM ecu/ OEM RCK2 ecu.

Yes, you get the gear dependent engine braking with RCK2 from them.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I cannot see the pics. Could you please share the Dunlop maps. Is it the 205/60 profile?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Before you check these DTC maps, you should note that they are part of the total package. I have a track only bike, with basic track suspension (not the OEM street suspension). I have changed springs to be able to make maximum braking, and front and rear springs are matched witch each other and my weight. Damping settings are fine tuned to have minimum wear on tyres.
My throttle control is very smooth and linear.
DTC settings are very conservative, and they smooth out the engine behaviour out of the apex. The bike behaves more like a 600cc because of that.
And because the settings are very conservative, it does not matter what tyres/profiles you use, just change the Tyre radius parameters to fit the tyres you have.
In general; good lap times are made between brakemark and apex, not with throttle or power after the apex. The driving line while trail braking dictates where your apex will be. And the apex location dictates what kind throttle opening and driving line is possible after apex.
So all in all, these DTC setting are suitable for a rider who understands how really good laptimes are made(, and what kind of suspension is needed, if you want to make maximum braking).
If you want to be able use maximum throttle out of apex, and have the maximum acceleration out of apex, and have rear tyre spinning on the very edge of the traction limit, and have maximum tyre wear, these DTC settings really do not work for you at all.

And here is the result how the bike actually behaves:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Is the value in SlipCor 4 table the amount of rear wheel spin permitted? Why there is such a big difference between 230 and 145 at 57.1 lean angle?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Is the value in SlipCor 4 table the amount of rear wheel spin permitted?

Why there is such a big difference between 230 and 145 at 57.1 lean angle?
Yes and no. (BMW engineers) DTC adds some math, and real result is something else.

Because it is "unused" value. I do not ride 230kmh at 57.1 lean angle. Speed value is from stock RCK maps. I have not fine tuned speed values, because I do not need to.
If I would like to ride on the edge of the traction limit, then also divisions would be totally different.

Read:
https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/12-14-rr-tech-performance-chat/237166-rck-setup-help.html
It might help you to understand.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes and no. (BMW engineers) DTC adds some math, and real result is something else.

Because it is "unused" value. I do not ride 230kmh at 57.1 lean angle. Speed value is from stock RCK maps. I have not fine tuned speed values, because I do not need to.
If I would like to ride on the edge of the traction limit, then also divisions would be totally different.
Ok it makes sense.

I'm getting ECU from rs2e back next week and going to start looking into rck3 settings. Still a lot to learn.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Mine is not that conservative but still I have DTC flashing as soon as I touch the throttle at high lean angles (40-45-50-55). Tires are Dunlop KR 106/108 120/205. Same thing as last year in Misano even if I increased almost 3% the slip and LeanAngleDTCon at 28 degrees.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine is not that conservative but still I have DTC flashing as soon as I touch the throttle at high lean angles (40-45-50-55). Tires are Dunlop KR 106/108 120/205. Same thing as last year in Misano even if I increased almost 3% the slip and LeanAngleDTCon at 28 degrees.
Can you post a better quality pic?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts