BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I thought I’d wait for a few thousand miles before posting this...

Do all the R’s idle rough until warm? I’ve even had my bike quit after starting, and had to do second start.

My bike runs like it has a race cam (old car guy here) until it’s warmed up. Is this normal? Bike never sits more than a couple days, and I only run 92 clear premium in it.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket full exhaust system? My 2017 was always lumpy on idle with a full Akrapovic exhaust system, but worse on a hot start than a cold start.

The solution was to dial in additional fuel on the Rapidbike Evo controller for 0% throttle input in the low RPM range (I don't recall the exact range without checking, but from memory it was something like 1500 - 3000 RPM). It's still got a bit of a burble, but it's much smoother and doesn't ever cut out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine does this too since i got it brand new. I've gotten used to it now... But it never stalled like yours though.

Model 2016 and 14000kms on the clock now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’m in the same boat. 2015 RR, starts pretty rough and sounds like it’s about to die, but has not so far. 12,000 km on the clock

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok, it’s normal...thanks for the replies! Just checking...
Just a follow up, I checked the map that I created on the RapidBike Evo to smooth out the idle on my bike:

RPM Fueling
1300: +15%
1700: +10%
2000: +7%
2400: +5%
2700: +2%

(All figures are for 0% throttle input)

There's probably room for a little more improvement, but those figures have made a noticeable difference to smoothing out the idle. As I mentioned before, this is with a full Akrapovic system.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Lumpy Idle

When we attended the CSS, Dylan Code was warming up the HP4 before a track session.

And the HP4 had the same lumpy idle until Dylan blipped the throttle and the idle smoothed out.

Just another BMW RR engine quirk.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
It is a function of cold-start emission requirements. On cold-start, the fueling is kept as lean as possible to hasten warm-up and minimize incomplete combustion by-products. One goal is to fire up the cat as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've read holding the clutch while starting the bike tells the bike you're attempting a cold start, and it was adjust accordingly.

I haven't had cold start issues, even in 45 degree weather so never tested that method.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts