BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
No, state trooper sited the driver of the Tigercat. My ins co (Geico) said it would likely be a long time before a payout from a non-auto insurance type business liability company. I was not at fault so no hike in my rates, but I do have to wait to get my deductible back.
Being a retired Allstate Insurance Agency owner, I would have told you to go after the other insurance company first as nearly all states have laws dictating a 30-day MAX to payout the claim, otherwise things start getting expensive for them in potential fines. These laws are usually always enforced by the states own Department of Insurance.

Now, you have a weighted claim on your insurance record which will follow you for about 5 years making it a little more difficult to move to another carrier if Geico's rates increase to an uncomfortable level. As far as "no points" goes, I've never heard it put that way with an insurance company. If the subrogation with the carrier of the tractor operator doesn't go well, then the Geico payout to you will definitely have an impact moving forward.

I used to tell my customers, if you are not at fault in the accident, we are not having this conversation. If I filed a zero paid claim, it would make them a captured client of mine for a while. This is what I still consider a dirty tactic among insurance companies/agents. If the tractor's carrier denied a payout (highly unlikely), then, and only then, you approach your carrier for restitution.

·
Registered
2005 LT, 2010 RT, 2015 RT, 2011 RR, 2020 XR, 2022 XR, MT-09
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Being a retired Allstate Insurance Agency owner, I would have told you to go after the other insurance company first as nearly all states have laws dictating a 30-day MAX to payout the claim, otherwise things start getting expensive for them in potential fines. These laws are usually always enforced by the states own Department of Insurance.

Now, you have a weighted claim on your insurance record which will follow you for about 5 years making it a little more difficult to move to another carrier if Geico's rates increase to an uncomfortable level. As far as "no points" goes, I've never heard it put that way with an insurance company. If the subrogation with the carrier of the tractor operator doesn't go well, then the Geico payout to you will definitely have an impact moving forward.

I used to tell my customers, if you are not at fault in the accident, we are not having this conversation. If I filed a zero paid claim, it would make them a captured client of mine for a while. This is what I still consider a dirty tactic among insurance companies/agents. If the tractor's carrier denied a payout (highly unlikely), then, and only then, you approach your carrier for restitution.
Thanks. Information I didn't have. Anyway, I went forward with the Geico recommendation (Hopefully not to my detriment) and have since replaced my XR with a new one. In the end the settlement was decent. I only had to pay $2500 out of pocket for a new XR.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts