BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
2005 LT, 2010 RT, 2015 RT, 2011 RR, 2020 XR, 2022 XR, MT-09
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I was riding my XR and came upon a logging operation. A Tigercat Tree Spade was on the road ahead. I slowed down to follow as it was a back road and the tractor took the entire road. He stopped, I stopped 3 - 4 car lengths behind him. He suddenly backed up too fast for me to ride clear so I bailed out into the ditch. Sat up in time to watch the 7 ton Tigercat run over my bike. Then the driver sensed something, drove forward again and ran over the bike a second time. Needless to say, it was a total loss, though I have to say I would have thought the bike would have been smashed flatter. So I now have a crazy story and a new 2022 XR and I love it! So maybe it was a good thing?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Attachments

Registered
wow that's the best write-off story I've heard. Who the **** reverses without looking back? Probably not an easy vehicle to see out of but that's no excuse.

Glad you're ok.

That's crazy, glad it was just the bike. How did this go with insurance? Who was at fault?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's crazy, glad it was just the bike. How did this go with insurance? Who was at fault?
So these guys had liability insurance for the business. My insurance recommended that my company payout without points against me. I just paid deductible. I will get my deductible back after my company settles with them. I got a good settlement for my 2020 based on NADA guide plush all the options.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow that's the best write-off story I've heard. Who the **** reverses without looking back? Probably not an easy vehicle to see out of but that's no excuse.

Glad you're ok.
Thanks and he never saw me until later as I鈥檓 jumping up and down shouting WTF!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How bizarre!!! Is he available to smash down some other bikes? Possibly owners of RRs looking to buy a new '23? Could be a good side business for him.

Disclaimer: I am happy with my '21. Just looking out for fellow forum members. :)
Not sure. Wasn鈥檛 his tractor and he was pretty contrite when he found out what he did.

Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
So these guys had liability insurance for the business. My insurance recommended that my company payout without points against me. I just paid deductible. I will get my deductible back after my company settles with them. I got a good settlement for my 2020 based on NADA guide plush all the options.
I don't understand. Why do you pay deductible? Why would you loose points? How is this partly/completely your fault? Did I miss something?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't understand. Why do you pay deductible? Why would you loose points? How is this partly/completely your fault? Did I miss something?
No, state trooper sited the driver of the Tigercat. My ins co (Geico) said it would likely be a long time before a payout from a non-auto insurance type business liability company. I was not at fault so no hike in my rates, but I do have to wait to get my deductible back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, state trooper sited the driver of the Tigercat. My ins co (Geico) said it would likely be a long time before a payout from a non-auto insurance type business liability company. I was not at fault so no hike in my rates, but I do have to wait to get my deductible back.
Also of note, (you may already know this) insurance companies will use the NADA guide model base price of your bike as the claim settlement. You have to go back at them and ensure they have considered all the options the bike came with and any of the operations you鈥檝e added. For example, the base price of a bike might be 10k. That鈥檚 the ins company鈥檚 offer to you. You need to show them the dealer sheet (if you have one) with all the upgrades (touring packages, electronic stuff, chain upgrades etc. ). The dealer out the door price is much higher, say $15k. Then add receipts for any options you鈥檝e added say panniers or top case $2k or more. That brings the payout to $17k. That鈥檚 the discussion to have with the ins co. A big difference.

Premium Member
Holy buckets! First of all glad you鈥檙e okay. I don鈥檛 think that story will ever be topped. Your bike run over not once but twice. It is harvest time here in Wisconsin so there is a lot of heavy, slow moving farm equipment on the roads. One has to be careful especially when approaching from the front. Seems there is always some impatient cager that will pass a farmer even across a double yellow and then you鈥檝e got a car coming at you in your lane.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holy buckets! First of all glad you鈥檙e okay. I don鈥檛 think that story will ever be topped. Your bike run over not once but twice. It is harvest time here in Wisconsin so there is a lot of heavy, slow moving farm equipment on the roads. One has to be careful especially when approaching from the front. Seems there is always some impatient cager that will pass a farmer even across a double yellow and then you鈥檝e got a car coming at you in your lane.
Yes, their visibility is not great. My mistake was 3-4 car lengths behind this particular vehicle was net enough. No rear view mirrors, backup indicators, etc. In retrospect, bet I would have had to be 100 Dr behind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts