BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

that is some dank herb in Colorado.

:nerd:

The issue I had was switching to rain mode traveling around 30-40 on the highway. I had to switch to rain mode a few times before the setting set itself.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Does anyone know what speeds should the bike be traveling when switching modes?
You can switch at any speed. Just press the mode button and choose the mode you want. The new mode takes over when the throttle is closed completely. (Just close the throttle; speed is irrelevant and the clutch need not be pulled.)

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
. . .I'm thinking about riding in the rain this weekend, but my back tire has no tread in the center. The sides still have plenty. They are metzler racetec k3s. Is this a bad decision on my part? . . .

Did everyone else ignore the fact that his tire is bald?!?!?! Am I going crazy?!?!?!?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I ride for a short distance on a daily basis. Yesterday halfway on my way home it poured heavily in one area, so I switch to rain mode. Man the settings are super nice in rain mode. I get really good feedback from the conditions.

The only issue with switching modes is the amount of time it takes to switch. Does anyone know what speeds should the bike be traveling when switching modes?
I haven't switched mine in a while but my best recollection is that it doesn't matter how fast you're going as long as you pull in the clutch to make the change. Hit the mode button and select what you want, then pull in the clutch and it switches. That's how I remember it working anywho.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Oh, and #1 bit of advice for the rain:
STAY OFF PAINTED SURFACES AND TAR SNAKES! Unlike the painted rumble strips on F1, MotoGP, and some other racetracks, street paint is NOT required to have grit in it to have a certain level of traction. do not put a wheel on the inside painted line going around a corner. If you must cross a painted centerline, do it on neutral throttle as vertical as possible. Watch out for crosswalks especially. When you are at a stop, stay to the left or right of the center, as every vehicle that leaks fluid (usually oils or coolant, both of which are slippery in the dry and worse in the rain) generally does it in a puddle right in the center of the lane, in the same spot near the line. Don't put your tires there or your feet. Tar snakes on the roads, especially on nice twisty ones, can put you into the weeds if hit leaned over, especially on really hot days when they're squishy and you're turning hard. They can be way worse in the rain too.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
If you want to see some stone cold hard core racing in the rain and on "city street" painted lines, chase down the 2014 Northwest 200 race on YouTube. The big guns were seriously spinning their tires while straight up and down (to say nothing of leaned over) in the 180-200mph range. It will take your breath away! Check out Michael Dunlop and Guy Martin going at, crossing and recrossing the painted lines as speed. Their bikes looked like they were going to swap ends about half of the time.

Every time I get to thinking that I know how to ride, I just watch about 10 minutes of that stuff and I'm back to ground level again.

Lee...

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
If you want to see some stone cold hard core racing in the rain and on "city street" painted lines, chase down the 2014 Northwest 200 race on YouTube. The big guns were seriously spinning their tires while straight up and down (to say nothing of leaned over) in the 180-200mph range. It will take your breath away! Check out Michael Dunlop and Guy Martin going at, crossing and recrossing the painted lines as speed. Their bikes looked like they were going to swap ends about half of the time.

Every time I get to thinking that I know how to ride, I just watch about 10 minutes of that stuff and I'm back to ground level again.

Lee...
Seen some vids of the NW 200, pretty crazy. I'd like to add Macau to that crazy list too! Nothing but armco barriers and buildings everywhere!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
My mistake, it was the Ulster Grand Prix that was rainy in 2014. Take a look at these two videos:

The rest of us are just mincing around if you ask me. Sometimes I even imagine I'm fast until I see this stuff!

Lee...

41 - 54 of 54 Posts