BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Vendor
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just picked up our own BMW S1000RR and the first thing we're going to do is tear it apart and turn it into a proper race bike. Keep an eye on this thread to see what we're up to as we will regularly post updates with information on how we build the bike. Our goal is to race the BMW in the AMA events at Road America & Mid-Ohio this year. In light of that, we've got a lot of work to do!

This is the last time you'll see it looking like this;

We owe a special thanks to BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids for helping us acquire the bike so quickly!

Hmmm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Definitely keep us all posted on the modifications are made to the stock bike to make it into a competitive AMA racebike. I am very interested to see what has been done and at what approximate cost. Most of us will never competitively race the bike, but we might want to do certain modifications to enhance the suspension and drivetrain for that special track day or great twisty road...

CHEERS!

·
Registered
44 Posts
After following the buildup of your 675 Daytona I can't fookin' WAIT to see your buildup of the S1000RR. Holy Hell this is going to be the best thread yet!!!!

·
Vendor
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We'll be finished putting the first 600 miles of the bike this week and then have the 9,000RPM rev-limiter removed. At that point, we'll start tearing the bike apart.

Don't worry, everyone here will be fully-informed about this build. :)

·
Vendor
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Dyno Time

We took the BMW S1000RR to the dyno after having the rev restriction taken off with the 600 mile service. The end result was over 182hp on a Superflow Dynomoter with 89 octane pump gas. We have the guys at FastBikesUSA to thank for getting us in since their dyno schedule is pretty busy this time of year!

The guys at Fast Bikes use a four-gas sensor to monitor air/fuel ratios.

Wherever this bike goes, it gathers a crowd. This was the most powerful stock liter bike they'd ever seen.

·
Vendor
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ohlins BMW S1000RR TTX Shock

We've acquired the shock that's going into the S1000RR.

As usual, Ohlins continues to up the ante for better functionality and reduced weight. The preload adjust is no longer a large, separate piece, but instead is one with the shock's body.

Machined compression and rebound adjustors are not only gorgeous, but also make it easier for suspension tuners to swap out different types of valving in a hurry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is gonna be nice !

Looking forward to seeing the progress !!

·
Vendor
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andrew I definitely agree with you!

BTW we are mounting up a radiator guard tonight and will post up some more pictures tomorrow am

·
Registered
50 Posts
Awesome! Got my s1000 from the same dealership, Mike was a pleasure to work with and Andy found me a STEAL on insurance from state farm. I'm doing my second track day w the bike at Road A on the 2nd of June and I'll be there for the AMA races after. I will try to find you guys there!

·
Vendor
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right now it is a matter of tearing the bike down to rebuild it. The forks are currently at Ohlins USA and should have those back this week. We have a list of parts that are in-bound and as soon as they arrive we will be posting more pictures.

·
Vendor
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
We finally got around to assembling our bike.

First up is a MotoHolders subframe. It's 1.25lbs lighter than OEM.

Titanium bolts with Allen key heads are going in place of the OEM Torx bolts.

The exhaust bracket too, will be replaced with a lighter, purpose-built unit.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts