BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I'm gonna say "no".

Not my scene. I don't wear Icon and Joe Rocket jackets with Mechanix gloves and DC tennis shoes as my "gear".

It's a personal choice and though this comes across as condescending I assure it isn't. I just don't associate with people who ride like that and draw attention to themselves and then wonder "why do the cops have it in for me".

Professionals do it in a professional environment on a closed course.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
TO each his own........I think aside from the actual controlled stunt displays and competitions being held at the bike bike dealer on Saturday, the big ride on Sunday at 2 is mainly just a massive sportbike event of biblical proportions and little control by the police. THere are so many of them.....

The ride on Sunday is about 3K-4K strong.........

Call me what you will, but I am looking forward to it. Was in on a pretty big sportbike ride in St Louis a couple weeks ago with about 50 of us, and it was so much fun....

Really looking forward to my first ROC......Careful and cautious, first and foremost.....at least as careful and cautious as you can be in a pack that size..

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I wouldn't for a couple reasons
  1. I don't like riding in big, well organized groups. They have crashes caused by rider error. During that, they have catastrophes caused by rider stupidity
  2. Every year, the LEOs get angrier and more frustrated at their ineffectual response. It's only a matter of time before one of them lashes out and things go really wrong.
  3. Don't want some cop posing with my HP4 like it's some 10 point buck he bagged one fine mornin. The exotics will be the trophies during a takedown.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
  1. I don't like riding in big, well organized groups. They have crashes caused by rider error. During that, they have catastrophes caused by rider stupidity
  2. Every year, the LEOs get angrier and more frustrated at their ineffectual response. It's only a matter of time before one of them lashes out and things go really wrong.
  3. Don't want some cop posing with my HP4 like it's some 10 point buck he bagged one fine mornin. The exotics will be the trophies during a takedown.

Haha, trophy catch is right!

I'm out!

·
Registered
306 Posts
TO each his own........I think aside from the actual controlled stunt displays and competitions being held at the bike bike dealer on Saturday, the big ride on Sunday at 2 is mainly just a massive sportbike event of biblical proportions and little control by the police. THere are so many of them.....

The ride on Sunday is about 3K-4K strong.........

Call me what you will, but I am looking forward to it. Was in on a pretty big sportbike ride in St Louis a couple weeks ago with about 50 of us, and it was so much fun....

Really looking forward to my first ROC......Careful and cautious, first and foremost.....at least as careful and cautious as you can be in a pack that size..
You and your boys are lucky that TV cop characters like Vick Mackey are just what they are, tv characters. Judging by all the footage from previous years, ROC attendees have been very naughty. If i was attending those type of rides I would feel blessed that certain laws prevent vicious roadside beatings for doing horsecrap like felony eluding, "controlled" stunt riding on public highways and etc.
One of these years, we will see a footage of a Rodney King style beat down during one of these rad events.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You and your boys are lucky that TV cop characters like Vick Mackey are just what they are, tv characters. Judging by all the footage from previous years, ROC attendees have been very naughty. If i was attending those type of rides I would feel blessed that certain laws prevent vicious roadside beatings for doing horsecrap like felony eluding, "controlled" stunt riding on public highways and etc.
One of these years, we will see a footage of a Rodney King style beat down during one of these rad events.
Was thinking more along the lines of one of them either "accidentally" pulling into the path of them (sorry mates I didn't see ya!). Or "losing control" of his vehicle.

Either could potentially take out a dozen or more

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sportbike equivalent of Harley trash. Have fun.
Some could be described that way, yes.

But you can't deem all 4K as being sportbike trash due to a small percentage pulling that wreckless and juvenile nonsense on the public roads.

From what I have been told by regular attendees, the ride consists of mostly of ordinary Sportbike riders who stay on two wheels and just want to all ride together in a once a year, massive ride

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not my kind of crowd even though St Louis is a cool spot to visit.

Id rather go to TXTK and see, and run with the high HP cars.

S

·
0 Posts
Some could be described that way, yes.

But you can't deem all 4K as being sportbike trash due to a small percentage pulling that wreckless and juvenile nonsense on the public roads.
Well, yeah, you really can. You are known by the company you keep. Don't delude yourself...this crew, collectively, has "squid" written all over it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I thought last years was gonna be the last one? I'm right in the Metro East and I've never ridden in the ROC, but I did a T n A ride a few years ago...not much fun. Too many bikes, and too many angry cagers who were flying in and out of traffic...purposely! It's a cool get together...but can be equally as dangerous for everyone involved.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well, yeah, you really can. You are known by the company you keep. Don't delude yourself...this crew, collectively, has "squid" written all over it.

Something a cop friend used to say: When in doubt arrest them all and let the judge sort em out.

You're 100%. Nobody, especially the LEOs, will care he's a good guy amongst a bunch of idiots. The negative reputations associated with motorcycle riders helped attribute to this

And this

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've ridden the past 2 years and its a crazy blast! Most of the stunt crowd is up front and about 85 percent stay on two wheels. It's like a chance to regress back to a 20 yr old moron and break some laws along the way. We are so confined by society to always do the right thing so it feels good to put your middle finger up and break some laws once in a while. I know most disagree but it feels good to do the wrong thing sometimes :). Oh, and FTP!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
539 Posts
Though I wouldn't likely participate in the 'big ROC ride' I would definitely spend time people and bike watching if I was in the area. Yea, some are asshats, but I'm guessing that is just bad apples spoiling the whole bunch.

·
Administrator
7,669 Posts
Painting with a wide brush but in my experience whenever there are more than 2 riders their combined IQ drops by 95% for reasons that I don't completley undestand! Hehe.... That aside simply watching that many bikes in one place does look impressive for lack of a better word! Not my thing either. I'm too old, have too much on my plate to be messing with young guns activities.

Maybe that's what these little hoodlums need to do to get the [email protected]#& out of their system! :confused:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've ridden the past 2 years and its a crazy blast! Most of the stunt crowd is up front and about 85 percent stay on two wheels. It's like a chance to regress back to a 20 yr old moron and break some laws along the way. We are so confined by society to always do the right thing so it feels good to put your middle finger up and break some laws once in a while. I know most disagree but it feels good to do the wrong thing sometimes :). Oh, and FTP!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sweetie, I have a newsflash for you. If you resort to things like FTP and such, you don't need a large gathering "to regress to being a moron"...you are a moron full-time.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts