BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new on this board, been riding for 5 years now, git my 14 S1000rr late last year.
I've been to 4 track days so far in the last 2 years, my last track day I was riding in the back of group A so I'm not a total noob...BUT, I feel like I'd ride this bike better if it didn't have such an onslaught of power, even in rain mode it makes a hefty amount of power, Im having trouble making a clean run around the track like u use to with my R6...
My question is, what do you think would be the best way to add a power restrictor??
I'm thinking retuning the ecu since it's electronic throttle...or go the ghetto route and put a giant restrictor plate 1/3 the size of the air filter...
I can 'handle' the power, but I would definitely become a better rider by pushing a 120 hp bike to its limit than trying to keep a 150/190 hp bike pointed in the right direction.

Few comments though:
1.No I'm not going to a 600, that would cost at least 4k for a decent bike, and the TC is very useful on this bike
2. Yes I know it's all about throttle control...but anyone who's went from a liter bike to a 600 in a racetrack knows what I'm trying to acomplish...

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Hello everyone, new on this board, been riding for 5 years now, git my 14 S1000rr late last year.
I've been to 4 track days so far in the last 2 years, my last track day I was riding in the back of group A so I'm not a total noob...BUT, I feel like I'd ride this bike better if it didn't have such an onslaught of power, even in rain mode it makes a hefty amount of power, Im having trouble making a clean run around the track like u use to with my R6...
My question is, what do you think would be the best way to add a power restrictor??
I'm thinking retuning the ecu since it's electronic throttle...or go the ghetto route and put a giant restrictor plate 1/3 the size of the air filter...
I can 'handle' the power, but I would definitely become a better rider by pushing a 120 hp bike to its limit than trying to keep a 150/190 hp bike pointed in the right direction.

Few comments though:
1.No I'm not going to a 600, that would cost at least 4k for a decent bike, and the TC is very useful on this bike
2. Yes I know it's all about throttle control...but anyone who's went from a liter bike to a 600 in a racetrack knows what I'm trying to acomplish...
Rain mode is free, and already on the bike, does same thing want.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts

Few comments though:
Easiest way would be to limit throttle travel, you could do that with some zip ties and screws to mechanically stop the throttle at 75% or so

I think you could also achieve it with the Rapid Bike Evo/Racing fuel controller, since you can adjust min/max throttle voltage

·
Super Moderator
6,425 Posts
Just ride a gear or two higher. If you keep the revs below 8k it's probably only 80 hp and as a result smoother and easier to control. As opposed to an R6 at 15k......

·
4,590 Posts
Rain mode and throttle control. Power is managed well, so don't worry about it. Just ride the damn thing if you're already in advanced. RR is really easy to ride, I came from a dirt background, RR was my first bike after not riding for 15 years. First ~4k miles sucked until I got used to the bike. After that >10k RPM FTW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts