BMW S1000RR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Went to collect my bike from the 1st service after having the engine replaced, and was informed they conducted a recall action as well - the timing chain was replaced.

This is not exclusive to the M1000RR. They are doing this for the S as well (R and RR).

If this is old news, please block the thread ;)
The timing chain tensioner, not the chain.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have an appointment next week to get the tensioner replaced. My question is outside of this forum, how would anyone know about these service campaigns? As far as I can tell, they're not safety recalls which in the US would require a mandatory notification to owners of affected vehicles. So far, I've received zero correspondence on this service campaign. When I called my dealership, they were aware of this but didn't reach out to me about getting this done. For those of us that intend on doing our on maintenance, this can definitely be a problem.

I'm definitely going to ask the service department at my dealership about whether they would have eventually notified me. Aside from this, BMW needs to have a better method for owners to check on any safety recalls and service campaigns.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
336 Posts
I agree completely with the above. When I read here that there was a service bulletin I contacted my dealer. They told me there was nothing on my bike and that I would get something from BMW if there was. Well, that never happened. The only way I knew about this was from this forum (thanks Benny!) and by chance when the clutch cable on my bike broke. If that clutch cable never broke I'd still be riding track days with a bogus cam chain tensioner on a bike that was designed to be ridden above 10K rpm. Seems to me that my dealer should have contacted me since I am in their database once they started getting this item done on other bikes that happened by their way of after getting notice from BMW. I don't mind getting notice from BMW but seems more effective if coming from the dealer since they definitely have my contact info. Second hand bikes I don't know how they would find out.

·
Premium Member
'21 S1kRR
15 Posts
Right, no software update was done. But I'm kind of pissed off because I told them to do the updates. Now I have to go to the shop again tomorrow and leave it again
Just took mine in for the tensioner fix. I don't know which is worse - yours not getting updated or mine getting a worthless update and I got charged. When the dealer hooked it up to the computer, the bike threw an air intake servomotor code. They tore it apart and found the flapper servomotor was disconnected. They reconnected it, cleared the codes, and then re-disconnected it. Duh, I have a BT2 flapper delete. Just going to throw the code again. Avoid Denver BMW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been suspecting this on my K67 for a while... every hot start I've heard excessive timing chain slap until I get a few high RPM pulls in. Realistically, can this cause any damage? How can I make sure no damage has been caused? The dealer said they'd just put a new tensioner in and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have an appointment next week to get the tensioner replaced. My question is outside of this forum, how would anyone know about these service campaigns? As far as I can tell, they're not safety recalls which in the US would require a mandatory notification to owners of affected vehicles. So far, I've received zero correspondence on this service campaign. When I called my dealership, they were aware of this but didn't reach out to me about getting this done. For those of us that intend on doing our on maintenance, this can definitely be a problem.

I'm definitely going to ask the service department at my dealership about whether they would have eventually notified me. Aside from this, BMW needs to have a better method for owners to check on any safety recalls and service campaigns.
I got a letter from BMW 3 days ago about it. Of course dealer doesnt even have the part. Ive waited to have Brake calipers replaced, (of course doesnt have those either) so I can have both done now whenever they get the parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well got my letter today (my 2020 was born 8/15/19). I have been lurking here and occasionally checking NTHSA/BMW with no hits. With that, I did a drive by the dealer and we brought the campaign up on the dealer's service connection to BMW Motorrad. It is a 0.5 hour job and the only part was the revised cam chain tensioner and a sealing gasket. There is no mention of connection to the mothership for any software update or anything else related to the tensioner recall. They only have to remove the lower spoiler and remove the tensioner.

As a side note, I noticed in the page that popped up for my VIN, there were pictures of my bike for each visit I had to them for various TSB/recall/services. Interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replaced my Cam Chain tensioner today on my 2021 S1000RR with the updated part. No visible difference. The new one though has no spring in the check valve. The reason for the change is that sustained speeds above 10,000rpm can cause the spring to fail. The broken spring can then travel into the oil circuit and block the oil flow to the camshafts. Unlikely to happen on the road, but on the track its highly possible due to time in high rpm. A word of advice if you do this your self, move that rubber hose forward towards the front of the bike so it doesn't block the cam chain tensioner from being removed.

View attachment 223701
View attachment 223700
I'd prefer to do my own if it's that simple. Is there any kind of procedure to it or just remove and replace?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same recall in Sweden. Official letter arrived form BMW. Took the bike to dealer, got the tensioner fixed and BMW charged with 300$.

Furthermore....
I heard from a race track school teacher ( U call em that? ) that two S1000RR -22 ( before the recall ) had crashed their bike due to a engine malfunction during a trackday. BMW took their crashed bikes and gave them updated completely new ones - no charge.

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR
19 Posts
Just got off of the phone with my dealer. They have to order the part.

My '22 just turned 3,000 miles but I don't timing chain noise. I also don't spend much, if any, time above 10K RPM.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts